Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Service rip off?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Service rip off?

Just trying to arrange a 5th year service and rang a few local dealers.Cost is around £325 at two dealers but the 3rd said £425.Told me that it was dearer because their labour charges must be higher than the other dealers.I find this hard to believe.Anyone else noticed vastly different prices for exactly the same service? Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #163022 3rd Dec 2012 10:34 am
jon_a5

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

Based on my experience I would say this is the norm, was quoted £390 at one dealer to replace the glow plugs, £230 at another and £220 at an interdependent.

Both part of the same change or car dealers too. I did find the same when I use to get my old car servered with merc, the prices varied by quite a bit between different dealers, allways pays to shop around...

Jon Freelander 2, 2014 Dynamic SD4 Santorini Black

Post #163027 3rd Dec 2012 11:11 am
bish789

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Mine will come due later this month so I have the ringing around to look forward to. Big Cry

Post #163040 3rd Dec 2012 12:45 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I paid 500 at 77k Surprised When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #163045 3rd Dec 2012 1:15 pm
5jms5

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

That seems a fair price. I paid £363. For the same service albeit I had my service done in London

Post #163062 3rd Dec 2012 2:46 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

After reading all these posts on servicing fees etc etc it strikes me that why do you pay these outragous and over priced fees.
You can go to an independant and providing their Vat registered then the warranty will still be in tact. For those of you who are lucky enough to have the expriance and knolegde that I have find most tasks from servicing to replacing steering racks as easy as putting on a pair of shoes.
A full service on my FL2 costs me about £120 for all the parts and my labour is free. It also gives me a great buzz just knowing its a job well done.

Post #163086 3rd Dec 2012 6:59 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

What do others think about using independents rather than LR dealers for servicing / repairs? We've got a well-respected garage & MOT station literally at the end of our road here charging less than £40 per hour labour. The MOT's due this month and the car's now out of its 12-month warranty so I'm seriously thinking of giving them a go. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #163087 3rd Dec 2012 7:19 pm
bish789

There's some things only a LR dealer can do.
A couple of mates of mine have a garage and they're brilliant, but only LR dealers can do some of the dark magic on their PS3 things, and they have the s/ware updates if released(doesn't mean they always check and load them for you though)

Post #163088 3rd Dec 2012 7:48 pm
EYorkshire

Quote:
You can go to an independant and providing their Vat registered then the warranty will still be in tact.

In theory yes.

But for those in warranty that have strayed away from a dealer, who is going to fight your corner, who will be looked upon favourably if that clutch goes or haldex fails.

Its wrong I know, but LR will only consider helping you out financially towards a repair if you have been loyal within warranty. Stray and you're on your own.

By all means go where you like when not in warranty but because it's not an even playing field LR will disown you completely.

I use to service my own vehicle but only because back then I couldn't afford not to. Today I can afford for someone else to do it and I only want to drive it, probably like most people on here.

Last edited by EYorkshire on 3rd Dec 2012 8:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #163089 3rd Dec 2012 7:58 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

My 3rd service is due in April. I bought from a non LR dealer (who's franchise also own two LR dealerships) who serviced the car them selves so my car doesnt have a full LR history. I have got pries from two indi's. 250 and 300 quid. I dont fancy paying LR dealer prices. I might use a back street garage but is that taking a risk? I belive a 3rd service requires oil, oil filter and air filter. What else is done on a service?

Post #163090 3rd Dec 2012 8:03 pm
bish789

Check the brakes, lubrication where necessary, i.e. doors etc.
They should also check that everything inc. lights is working.
Only one i would have any concerns about for a bog standard service is them changing the oil filter, as it supposed to be a pig to do, but some of the other guys on here have done it fairly easily.
If they don't do a good job, vote with your feet.
By the way, you don't need to take it to a franchised dealer to keep your warranty intact, but they (you) need to prove they have serviced it to LR standards with right oil, LR filters etc. keeping the LR receipts for the parts is usually OK
However, until my warranty runs out, i'll be going LR.

Post #163092 3rd Dec 2012 8:10 pm
EYorkshire

Stevie5tapes wrote:
What else is done on a service?

Brake fluid change every 3 years

Post #163093 3rd Dec 2012 8:17 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Depends if you are going to keep it or get rid in 3 yrs. in my experience a full landrover service history could be worth as much as £500 at sale time.

That's said, I've never paid full price at a dealer for a service and I will always use Indi prices to get a price match - has worked the last couple of times and I get the car back washed and vac'd and with the knowing that should anything big go wrong, despite it being out of warranty I might get some money back.

On the other hand, if it were over 5 yrs old with a blemished service history then I would do the simple stuff myself and use and Indi for the rest Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #163094 3rd Dec 2012 8:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Just thought, I'm not sure they changed mine when they did my 3 year service, if they did I don't recall them mentioning it

Guess a phone call is due

Post #163095 3rd Dec 2012 8:21 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Captain Worm wrote:
Depends if you are going to keep it or get rid in 3 yrs. in my experience a full landrover service history could be worth as much as £500 at sale time.

Mine will be 3 years old in April, its got one LR stamp and a stamp from a Citreon dealership. My car will then have lost a small amount of money then at sale time. I might aswell go to an indi. Has anyone tried the likes of Kwik fit? My wife had her Astra serviced at our local one to the full Vauxhall spec. Nodoubt they will service to the full LR spec.

Post #163102 3rd Dec 2012 8:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>