« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Identifying Genuine LR Roof Rails
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black
Identifying Genuine LR Roof Rails

I have the opportunity to purchase some used roof rails for my FL2 but want to ensure that they are genuine LR rails and not one of the various OEM models that have a lower carrying capacity.
Does anyone know if the genuine rails have a LR identifier on them just as the genuine side steps have? Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #160869 12th Nov 2012 9:57 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Not sure that anyone else does roof rails for the FL2.
Several people do roof bars - these go across the roof, genuine roof bars only fit the roof rails, and have the LR logo on each end cap.

Be aware that there are two different types of roof rails - with/without sun roof.
They can be fun to fit as the plastic strips that run full length of the car have to be removed, drilled and refitted to enable the mounting bosses that screw into the roof to be fitted. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #160881 12th Nov 2012 11:36 pm
Prisoner359

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

I fitted some genuine Land Rover ones at the weekend: -

Before

Click image to enlarge

After

Click image to enlarge

Further details & pictures can be found here: -

http://www.greenlandrover.org.uk/fitting-r...elander-2/

Watch out for the ones that are labelled as 'Genuine OEM style' or similar. They're generally cheapo rip offs and probably not approved so could have insurance consequences.

I bought a genuine set from the Duckworths tent at the Peterborough LRO show. Normal price for genuine rails & cross bars is around £450. I got them for £250 at the show Mr. Green

If you don't need them immediately might be worth holding on for one of the big shows next year??? Discovery 4 HSE - Aintree Green
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Automatic - Tonga Green
Defender XS - Tonga Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 ES Manual - Epsom Green - Gone Now *
Freelander 1 Td4 Kalahari SE - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 XEi - Epsom Green - Gone Now

www.greenlandrover.uk

Post #160883 12th Nov 2012 11:51 pm
The Road Toad

Prisoner359 - they look good and a good price.
The rails come up on eBay every so often sold by LR dealers but best I have seen is £265, I think that I will wait for the real thing although the Thule bars seems a good compromise if you don't need to carry a roof load regularly.
There are lots of OEM versions on eBay at around £170 but not sure about their quality. but I know that by adding a LR logo will up the price of parts (and service) by 25%! Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #160914 13th Nov 2012 11:41 am
Jokestr

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Lookout for an official LR installation booklet in the box, that's a telltale sign. "OE fit" is not the same as "OEM". There do seem to be several chinese knockoffs out there of even the roofrails.

I have a 2008 LR2/Freelander 2 WITH the panoramic sunroof. I just purchased these at a great price, and they are definitely genuine LR parts (sturdy), and made to fit the sunroof models (and I believe it ill also fit non-sunroof too, just not the other way around).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250756961420?ssPag...1439.l2649

They've got a few in stock, great price. Don't worry about the mistakes in their descriptions, I fitted mine last week and it's perfect.

not sure if international shipping would be dangerously high or not...

Post #161504 19th Nov 2012 7:04 am
The Road Toad

Jokestr,
Thanks for the info but the eBay listing says that it is for Freelander 2 2000-2006. Surely that is the Freelander Mark1?
I must admit they look like the correct rails for a 'new' Freelander though. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #161506 19th Nov 2012 10:17 am
Jokestr

After several calls to the seller directly, and a few email exchanges with another fleabay buyer (since they had over a dozen for sale) confirmed that it is indeed, part number LR007220, packaged with Land Rover stickers on the box. Another curious and frustrating find, was that the manual inside the box was from Land Rover BUT was for the non-sunroom version...but they fit exactly the same, so I assume LR just ran out of the correct booklet and started stuffing the similar ones.

I am confident that it is for the sunroof model, as the cross brass had a large sticker on it saying just that..."For Sunroof Equipped Version Only". All hardware and packaging was correct (other than the booklet).

I fitted it last week and it looks great! Sunroof open at 70mph on the freeway with no noticeable added noise. Plus, they are black powder coated solid aluminum and feel super sturdy.

I will post pics later today.

Happy shopping, I just felt I had to share the great deal since they have several left apparently. Ask them for the slowest possible shipping, as you have to call to get a ship quote. $45 from Southern California to Colorado last week is what I paid.

Post #161536 19th Nov 2012 7:18 pm
The Road Toad

Jokestr
Thanks again for your replies but on enquiring they are quoting $397 to ship to the UK!
I can get these new from local LR dealer for $400 so it is a no go I'm afraid. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #161543 19th Nov 2012 8:24 pm
Jokestr

Yikes! Definitly get them in country then.

It does come in a six foot tall skinny box, weighing about 50lbs. I think, so I'm not surprised that it's so pricey.

Good luck, and don't listen to those who say it looks better without the rack...their opinion is wrong Smile

Post #161562 19th Nov 2012 11:17 pm
4por4

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I just purchased a set from them last week. Should be here at any time.
The seller told me the rails are in fact a genuine LR part and they confirmed the part number.
That is the best deal for an OEM set of roof rails for sure!
I'll post pictures too. Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #161568 20th Nov 2012 5:29 am
Jokestr

Nice. Two warnings for you:

1. It will include the wrong instructions, which will be the ones for the non-sunroof version, which fit the same exact way.

2. You will love the look of the rails once they're on!

Also know that you will need a few deep metric sockets on a ratchet. I think at least size 22 and 24mm....a 5mmm allan key, the ability to drill one-inch round sized holes (through thin plastic), and some good sealant. I used marine grade silicone.

Happy attaching!

Post #161570 20th Nov 2012 7:54 am
4por4

Great!
Thank you for the advice. i will report back as soon as I get them and get them installed. Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #161625 20th Nov 2012 4:10 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Prisoner359 wrote:
I fitted some genuine Land Rover ones at the weekend: -

Before

Click image to enlarge

After

Click image to enlarge

Further details & pictures can be found here: -

http://www.greenlandrover.org.uk/fitting-r...elander-2/

Watch out for the ones that are labelled as 'Genuine OEM style' or similar. They're generally cheapo rip offs and probably not approved so could have insurance consequences.

I bought a genuine set from the Duckworths tent at the Peterborough LRO show. Normal price for genuine rails & cross bars is around £450. I got them for £250 at the show Mr. Green

If you don't need them immediately might be worth holding on for one of the big shows next year???

Nice job! Are they easy to fit? Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #161768 21st Nov 2012 5:59 pm
Jokestr

Oh yeah, the grass even looks greener in the after pic!

For a car part in general they are easy, but for an accessory they a not.

It is simple, just take your time and you're probably looking at 3 hours or so. I brought the plastic strips into my house to drill the first four holes, then the last two have to be done with the plastic strips still attached...no biggie, just use towels and such to protect your finish.

Also, be liberal with the sealant. That area will be covered up so you won't see it, but you want to make sure to cover those entire bolts up front so there is no possible chance of a leak.

Have deep socket wrenches above 19 on hand, A T30 SIZED DRIVER, a 5mm allen wrench, the ability to drill one inch round holes, towels and such for protection, and several free hours.

Post #161842 22nd Nov 2012 7:00 am
4por4

I did the install today. It went pretty smooth. 1:45 minutes total and thats with taking pictures.

There is tons of pictures so i'll post a few only. Planning on doing a tutorial.

They look great and are very sturdy. It was a great buy.

This part was the scary step on the whole process

This is what it's left after you remove the original bolt that was in place.

Here is the sealant I used. recommended by LR

This is the direction for the crossbar

The finished product

Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #163008 3rd Dec 2012 4:04 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>