Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > electronic rust protection?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
markus510

Australia 
electronic rust protection?

I have been quoted $800 for E rust protection. Does anyone think this is a good investment to protect the F2? Have the cars had any history or corrosion issues that E protection would prevent? I live close to the beach so plenty of exposure to salt laden winds. I'm not exposing the car directly to salt water though.......yet

Post #126853 10th Jan 2012 10:34 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Never heard of it. What is it? Sounds like the old Ziebard system back in the 70's & 80's. If that's the case modern cars don't need rust protection. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #126854 10th Jan 2012 10:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

not heard of it, do you have any weblink to the system to have a look at Question

Post #126855 10th Jan 2012 10:52 am
taztastic

England 

I would think in your climate that rust protection is not really necessary.
What are other vehicles in your locale like?
I imagine your climate will keep metal maggots to a minimum anyway? despite the prevalence of salt

Post #126856 10th Jan 2012 10:54 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

dosent the freelander have rust protection at build Question i know the steel has a special coating b4 the pannels are pressed because they do not use underseal on most modern cars now Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #126859 10th Jan 2012 11:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markus510

Australia 

npinks, dealer hasn't given me any details but google failed to find anything remotely close (except something in China). great feedback today, wouldn't it be nice to meet a dealer that tells you how it is, no Bullsh*t. thanks to all

Post #126871 10th Jan 2012 12:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

a quick google for "automotive electronic rust protection" came up with this system

http://www.ruststop.net/?p=1

Click image to enlarge

cost AUS$ 325 - £389 (heavy duty)

FAQ http://www.ruststop.net/?p=170

Post #126874 10th Jan 2012 12:24 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

this is what stands out to me,

it appears that you screw this system to the body work, but in doing so, that will mean your screwing in to the galvanised (or whatever system LR use) protection that is already in place, so in doing so you will increase the risk

------------------ galvanised protection
--========-- metal which will rust
------------------ galvanised protection

Post #126875 10th Jan 2012 12:30 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Markus, We live virtually on the beach, but down in eastern Victoria; often windy with lots of salty deposits on car and house. Freelander is now 3 years old without a trace of rust anywhere. Honda, 9 years old, totally rust free, previous Subaru Outback, 6 years old, also totally rust free. I would guess from Npinks posting that the system is based on a sacrificial anode which I've seen used on boats but never on cars. I'm sure he's right in saying the fixing holes would do far more harm than any claimed protection. I should also say the cars have been kept clean, but not excessively so, washed every 2 or 3 weeks, and polished -Autoglym- every 2 or 3 months. Hope this helps.
Cheers

Post #126974 11th Jan 2012 12:00 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Electronic Rust Prevention systems are quite common here, but the debate on their effectiveness continues. Many 4x4 forums will have decent feedback on good ones versus bad (there are some real shockers!).

I would not waste the money as the whole essence of Land Rover is to take the vehicle into places where other makes might rust up. I was told before buying that there is special protection built in via a special coating up to a certain height on panels such as doors.
I take mine into salt water routinely (driving along the many beachs just north of you) and there are no indications of rust whatsover. If you are converned, place a garden sprinkler under the car, turn it on and drive backwards and forwards a few times to rinse off any build-up of salt.

Otherwise - go enjoy. Get out there.

Post #127446 15th Jan 2012 7:44 am
Rawlo

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Fuji White

Good info, I've been a little concerned about salt water etc. A friend recently sprayed odorless fish oil under his car, its now sticky! Confused Any thoughts about the use of fish oil as a rust prevention?

Post #160163 7th Nov 2012 11:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1