« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Intermittent wiper mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Truckindog

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
Intermittent wiper mode

Ihave a 2008 FL2 which I bought in Aug. I was lucky enough to get a manufacturers warranty for 12 mnths.
Since I have had the car the intermittent or auto wipe has not worked properly even with the sensors turned to max it will not sense drizzle. Put the hose on the front and no problem, but fog or drizzle dosn't want to play. I have had it back to the dealer after 2 hours said they were OK. Isuspect he used the hose on the sensor touch because still in light drizzle or fog nothing any clues.

Post #159459 1st Nov 2012 12:44 pm
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

I have no solid leads for you but mine seem to work fine.

Are you sure you have it set to super sensitive (rolled all the way towards you) rather than not-so-sensitive?

Also, I find if the wipers don't wipe when I want them to, I just momentarily roll the sensitivity setting up a level and then back, which forces it to wipe.

How does it behave in actual rain? 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #159460 1st Nov 2012 12:50 pm
EYorkshire

I must admit to mine (and others from what they have said) being a bit 'iffy'. At times it will wipe a clear/dry screen and at other times I am willing it to wipe while peering through the raindrops Mad

I have been up and down, round and round with the sensitivity and 90% of the time it plays ball but that 10% is bloody annoying.

Some have removed the F1 fuse in the passenger side fusebox and this returns the operation to standard intermittent control by the rotary knob.

On the windscreen just make sure the glass in front of the sensor is clean.

Post #159462 1st Nov 2012 1:04 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Similar experience here to the above - sometimes it will wipe a dry screen, and other times the rain can be quite heavy before the wipers come on. Generally it works reasonably well, but not always. I have contemplated removing the appropriate fuse, but so far am persisting with the automatic wipe.

Post #159466 1st Nov 2012 1:17 pm
Truckindog

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Thanks for the feedback guys. Can't believe they can't get the simple things right. A friend has a FL2 and his work perfect. mine are driving me insane so frustrating having to fiddle with the sensitivity switch to move a little drizzle.
Thing is with the shroud off if I apply a little pressure to either side of the unit with finger and thumb it works perfect. crazy!!!!. I 'm taking it back to Stradstone again and I'm going to tell them to fit a spare finger and thumb if they can't fix the unit. Or something like that!!!!!! Whistle

Post #159517 1st Nov 2012 8:12 pm
Bugblatter

United Kingdom 

Since I removed fuse F1, my auto headlights seem to be always on. I am beginning to suspect it is not a coincidence. 2013 RR Evoque Pure Tech
2012 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey - gone

Post #159525 1st Nov 2012 9:02 pm
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Mine seem to work ok at speeds over 30mph, but are a pain below that. Are they speed related too? Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #159620 2nd Nov 2012 8:39 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Increase in speed will mean more droplets on the screen.
That's maybe why. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #159623 2nd Nov 2012 8:49 pm
dave_evans

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine don't work quite as I'd expect 'rain sensitive' wipers to behave but, because they've always followed the same pattern, I've just assumed LR never really perfected the logic!
My sensitivity adjustment - well, doesn't adjust them - and if I use the auto setting I have intermittent wipes with mist or, as soon as there's a couple of raindrops, the wipers make two or three slow-speed continual sweeps then it goes straight to the manic 'downpour' speed!

My solution: ignore the damn thing and stick to wiping the screen 'by hand' with a little finger hovering near the stalk. Sometimes, if you want a job done properly... lol!

To hear this feature actually works properly for some owners is news to me.

Post #159816 4th Nov 2012 5:02 pm
768will

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Are we becoming a lazy load of b**gers! Auto lights- can't we decide when to switch lights on? Cruise control - waste of time on these crowded roads unless you drive motorways at 3am. Auto-wipe wipers_ surely we can decide when to put the wipers on. I remember fitting a homemade unit to my old L/R to set the rate of wiper wipe and it worked better than the one on my FL2. The sales brochure would look a bit depleted without these gimmicks but I'd rather have the money off the final price. Rolling Eyes 11 GS Bali Blue
07 GS FL2. Usually muddy. Gone
Numerous LRs since 1963

Post #159857 4th Nov 2012 8:43 pm
Walter_F

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Whistler White

Bugblatter wrote:
Since I removed fuse F1, my auto headlights seem to be always on. I am beginning to suspect it is not a coincidence.

Not a coincidence. The rain sensor and headlamp sensor are both controlled by the same little box up behind the mirror. I didn't remove F1, but disconnected the wire from the sensor unit itself. I gained the manual intermittent wipers (yeah!), but the headlamps now stay on all the time with the switch in automatic (boo!) I also noticed that the adaptive lamp feature (headlamps "steer" through turns) doesn't work with the box disconnected. Hook the sensor back up and all works as it should.

Our wipers act possessed on the auto setting, randomly switching to super-high speed at anything over 25 mph. The auto wipers are pretty much my only complaint about our 2008.

Post #165433 27th Dec 2012 6:41 am
taztastic

England 

Auto wipers are a pain in the neck. Every car I have had with them has brought no joy, you cant leave them in auto or some huge insect will choose to end its life on your screen at the same instant the wipers decide to try themsleves, this results in not only vertical but horizontally smeared entrails obscuring your vision.
As soon as it rains they decide to play chicken with you, seeing how hard it will rain before you intervene, I am convinced they are made by satan Laughing

Post #165445 27th Dec 2012 11:10 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Heh heh! Twisted Evil

Post #165482 27th Dec 2012 5:59 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Going back to 2008 when mine was new the auto sense wipers were hopeless and the headlights used to come on as I would venture outside the far end of a tunnel and then stay on for a good 10 mins in bright sunshine !
I have posted about this issue before.
dealer was unable to find a fault.
Once i fitted the earth cable 18 months on to correct a suspect earth on the most carp design of earth's the wipers and headlamp auto sense has worked spot on and the auto lights are instant now, even come on as my front wheels get inside my garage whereas before they wouldn't come on driving into my garage !

The wipers are 100% spot on now and I never have to touch the switch & they never ever do the single sweep on start up since fitting the extra cable, so i reckon a poor earth plays havoc with the BSI

In my gallery is a screen shot of the voltage drop caused at cranking. I will now carry out another crank test with the scope and post another screen shot as soon as the whether gets cold so you will be able to see the significant difference. I know when i checked it at the time the voltage didn't drop below 10.7 at cranking after fitting the extra earth but never took a screen shot . Just waiting the temp is in the - figures.

Post #165483 27th Dec 2012 6:02 pm
bish789

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

So where's the easiest and best place to fit the supplemental earth Question

Post #165497 27th Dec 2012 10:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>