Home > Technical > Window tinting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jtjenkinson

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver
Window tinting

Hi all,
Been thinking about tinting the rear windows back on our Free 2, quick question has anyone ever done it themselves, any advice on how to do, where to buy the tint and what tools do you need, have seen a pre-cut set on ebay for around £34 and a further £6 for a tool kit to fit, anyone any other advice on how to handle this and is there any laws on the rear windows or is it just the front
Regards
JOnathan Regards
J Jenkinson

Post #159195 29th Oct 2012 9:17 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

i thought about this too but i think it would look Censored i got a quote for a proffesional tint for £130 today i might take them up on it ! When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #159196 29th Oct 2012 9:22 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

As far as i am aware there are only laws on window tinting for the front drivers side, pasenger side and front screen were a certan amount of light has to pass through.
In my opinion the best tints would be in the factory fitted glass or replacement glass with tints built in Thumbs Up

Post #159204 29th Oct 2012 9:47 pm
WarriorBez

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

chrisdeeming wrote:
i thought about this too but i think it would look Censored i got a quote for a proffesional tint for £130 today i might take them up on it !

That sounds a very good price, i am sure the cheapest when i looked into it was around £180!! Black FL2
L200 Warrior

Post #159217 29th Oct 2012 10:50 pm
nicedayforit

I would ask your insurers what they think before going ahead.
Some don't take too kindly to it and hike your premium for the "modification.
Happened to me.

Post #159220 29th Oct 2012 11:09 pm
mogster

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
window tints

The legislation states that the front windscreen must allow 75% light through and the front driver and passenger doors must allow 70% light through. Anything less than that and it's illegal. Basically no further tints are allowed. As for the rear windows, anything from the B pillar back they can be as dark or light a tint as you require.

Post #160420 9th Nov 2012 8:17 am
smudger53

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Jonathan.I bought a kit off eb*y. It came very promptly. Every piece cut to size and shape,so no trimming involved. I then looked for window tinting on you tube. And i'd advise you to do that too before you buy the stuff.The reason for that is the seller of the tint film don't tell you that in some if not all cases you will have to pre shrink the film to the window.You do this on the outside of the car using a heat gun.
Then transfer this to the inside of the glass.the reason its heated to shape is because its easier to fit it that way,no other. As you will probably have noticed that there is only two pieces of glass on the Freelander 2 that are flat enough to apply the film without heat.(The quater lights on the back doors).All the other pieces of glass are curved in both directions.
I followed the instructions on lots of videos on you tube about heat fitting of the film. The window that bothererd me most was the back hatch. Well i got on ok.Took me about an hour,and i'm well pleased with myself.
But saying that i messed up one of the back side windows.and one opening window on the back doors.So i've got to now by another set to aquire the panels i cocked up.
So to be honest with you.....If i could have found someone to fit it for around £150 inc vat and tint, i would snatch his/her hand off. Thumbs Up
If anyone else has managed to do a complete set without any probs i'd love to hear from you. Bow down Bow down
Good luck....Dave my freelander is an 07 Stornoway grey HSE with full cream leather

Post #160865 12th Nov 2012 9:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
smudger53

Unnecessary quote removed

Just to let you know that i've now done the rear doors and rearside windows,and back hatch.After much cussing and buying replacement film for the ones i cocked up.I'm now well pleased with the end result. Go on....Go for it,you know you want too.
Dave my freelander is an 07 Stornoway grey HSE with full cream leather

Post #161789 21st Nov 2012 8:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

Smudger53

Please use the reply button, not the quote button when replying, there's no need to repeat what you have previously written Confused

Post #161795 21st Nov 2012 8:34 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Ive done it, but it was on an older car where the window glass was held in with the rubber seals, ie not bonded.
I removed all the glass and applied the film with the glass lying on a flat table, this has the advantage of the film going almost to the edge of the glass all round and saves fiddling when the glass is in position, then just refit the glass, easy that way.
Of course nearly all new cars the body glass is bonded, so more fiddly.

Post #161798 21st Nov 2012 8:41 pm
smudger53

You know what.I like this site a lot. But i'm always getting told by over reacting mods telling me to "Try searching for this topic before you start a new topic on the same subject."
Now i've had my knuckles rapped again for replying with a quote rather than replying to topic. Getting back to searching for topics.I'm sure its only me and my age.But why does it have to be so blinking complicated to search for a topic (well it seems that way to me).You don't get told off like this on good old pistonheads.
Rant over Yawn ......IGMC my freelander is an 07 Stornoway grey HSE with full cream leather

Post #161802 21st Nov 2012 8:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The fact you reply quoting what you have previous written does nothing for the continuity of the thread, infact it makes it harder to read Confused

Do you repeat everything you have just previously said, before replying to someone when talking in person in the pub?

No, I didn't think so, so why do it on the forum Thumbs Up

Post #161803 21st Nov 2012 8:51 pm
smudger53

Yeah its quite easy on flat glass.i did some on my cortina 30 years ago. But every window on the Freelander 2 is curved in both direction.That turned out to what might have been my down fall had it not been for youtube.
Dave my freelander is an 07 Stornoway grey HSE with full cream leather

Post #161804 21st Nov 2012 8:54 pm
smudger53

smudger53 wrote:
You know what.I like this site a lot. But i'm always getting told by over reacting mods telling me to "Try searching for this topic before you start a new topic on the same subject."
Now i've had my knuckles rapped again for replying with a quote rather than replying to topic. Getting back to searching for topics.I'm sure its only me and my age.But why does it have to be so blinking complicated to search for a topic (well it seems that way to me).You don't get told off like this on good old pistonheads.
Rant over Yawn ......IGMC
 my freelander is an 07 Stornoway grey HSE with full cream leather

Post #161805 21st Nov 2012 8:55 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Arrow door back to piston heads is that way Rolling Eyes

Don't think I didn't see what you just put before you edited it out either Wink

Post #161807 21st Nov 2012 8:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>