« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear traction problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
funkyblue74

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey
Rear traction problems

Dear all, this is my first post, and unfortunately is a big technical issue with my free2 (2009)
The warranty ended on June of this year and a few weeks ago something went wrong with a big noise in my right rear wheel, specially when I turn left at low velocity.After some tests I saw that the rear traction was not working, only the front wheels.
After a mechanical revision they tell me to change Haldex, and I had done it (2000€ aprox.)
Yesterday I get my car repaired, and today, climbing in a small ascend the ESP started lighting and the rear wheels are still not working.
Any idea of what's happening? tomorrow i will go to the auto mechanic again... I'm very frustrated, the car only has 100.000Km and I love it, but I'm very concerned about it.

Thanks in advance.

Post #160144 7th Nov 2012 12:02 am
funkyblue74

Solution of the problem

Finally my auto mechanic service found what happened.
My Haldex coupling crashed and blocked the transmission bar to the front differential (transfer), and it broke the coupling between the bar and the haldex internally in the front differential.
After talking with Land Rover to get the spare, they told me that it doesn't exist a spare of this part and we have to buy a new transfer... disgusting, 1.000€ more.
I hope that I have my freely repaired next week, 3.000€ in total, and I hope that the rear noise turning at left disappear with this... Something curious is that I haven't ear any noise in the front of the car and the coupling was totally broken, only when I turn left...

Regards!

Post #160623 10th Nov 2012 8:13 pm
pb1008

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Try a search for "haldex" it seems that problems are not uncommon

Post #160649 11th Nov 2012 12:07 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

i think his problem is with his IRD drive at thr g/box end have seen it fail on fl1 but not on a fl2? rainy-city
xs

Post #160652 11th Nov 2012 7:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
funkyblue74

I'm not a mechanical expert but I found the equivalent piece photo with freelander 1:

http://www.thesysadmin.co.uk/hippo/fixes/s...earing.jpg

In this photo you cannot see the extreme of the piece where I have the problem, but there is a splined shaft that is worn and rotate free inside the other part... I think that this gives power to Haldex coupling from IRD and this is the reason why I haven't rear wheel traction.

Post #160666 11th Nov 2012 11:30 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Solution of the problem

funkyblue74 wrote:

After talking with Land Rover to get the spare, they told me that it doesn't exist a spare of this part and we have to buy a new transfer... disgusting, 1.000€ more.
!

Annoys me when they use this excuse, of course the parts there they couldnt build a new one if it wasnt, wouldnt take a moment to go and fetch one out of the store. Rolling Eyes
They just dont want to be bothered sell bits, they would rather you buy a new car in actual fact every time it goes wrong Rolling Eyes

Post #160680 11th Nov 2012 1:14 pm
funkyblue74

Totally agree Mona, it's incredible Shocked
They reserve this parts to do business with them and make the refurbished parts.
In my case, a new Haldex coupling would cost 3K aprox. and Land Rover sell a refurbished and 1 year guaranty part for 1K...

Post #160688 11th Nov 2012 2:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1