Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > ADDING AN EMISSIONS FILTER TO AN OLDER MODEL FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Acciola

Malta 
ADDING AN EMISSIONS FILTER TO AN OLDER MODEL FL2

Hi Everyone! Im new to this forum and need your expert advice...

I am looking to purchase a used Freelander 2 from the UK and with my limited budget will probably end up with a 2008 model at best, which is not too bad as long as the mileage is reasonable. Problem is the emissions value for this model for both Co2 and Particulate Matter which is going to cost me a small fortune in Taxes here in Malta.

I know that the new 2012 models have a significant reduction in emissions in particular the Particulate Matter which is almost 0. This is due to some filter that is installed and was wondering if its possible to install this same filter to a, lets say, a 2008 model thus reducing dramatically the emissions for an older model and therefore saving me literally thousands of euro.

Any help on this matter will be a great help to me. It would also be helpful if I could know very roughly what this would cost.

Regards,
Henry

Post #157552 15th Oct 2012 8:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EYorkshire

Henry

Now that's a first, you wanting to install a DPF and us wishing we could get rid. The biggest problem with the DPF is re-generation and having been to Malta I'm not sure you have the roads to achieve this satisfactorily, hell some of us in this country have re-generation problems due to short/slow journeys.

Anyway with my limited knowledge, at over a £1000 you could purchase a DPF and insert it in the exhaust system but for it to work you will have additional costs. It must have the differential pressure sensors and the programme written in the ECU to initiate re-generation. It would be a costly business to aftermarket fit.

Much simpler to increase your buying budget and look for a MY2011 model or an earlier export model that did have a DPF fitted, unfortunately the export model would more than likely be LHD.

Post #157555 15th Oct 2012 8:41 am
Acciola

Malta 

Oh Dear!! That idea quickly went out of the window!!!! Confused

Thanks for your help Smile

Post #157556 15th Oct 2012 8:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1