Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > anyone found away of getting in an FR2 when its in sleep
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
JammyDodger

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I think everyone's concern is that the emergency key can only be used to open the passenger door on a UK car and that is usually the side that is right up against the wall to allow the driver's side door to open more to get out of these really tight garages. 11 SD4 HSE Stornoway Grey / Black Windsor Leather

Post #157573 15th Oct 2012 11:43 am
EYorkshire

Re: Liam@LandRover

Liam @ Land Rover wrote:

To avoid having to take action such as smashing windows it is in your best interest that you try to leave enough room on the driver side to allow you to gain access.

Kind Regards,
Liam

Liam, you didn't read the thread thorough enough, he did leave room on the drivers side but LandRover in their wisdom pandered to the International left hand drive market, not the UK market and put the manual unlocking on our passenger side which he parked tight against the wall.

Post #157574 15th Oct 2012 11:44 am
muddywheels

England 
Re: Liam@LandRover

Liam @ Land Rover wrote:

To avoid having to take action such as smashing windows it is in your best interest that you try to leave enough room on the driver side to allow you to gain access.

Kind Regards,
Liam

Presumably if you can get out of the car you did Whistle

Thud Banging Head Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #157577 15th Oct 2012 11:53 am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hi all,

Sorry my mistake. You have raised a very valid point. I am certain this would have been considered at the point of design, I will therefore contact our design team and ask for a comment,and ask them to comment on why the decision was made for the access point to be on the passenger side. As soon as I get a response I will update you accordingly.

Sorry again for the mistake.

Kind regards,
Liam Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #157579 15th Oct 2012 12:15 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Liam @ Land Rover wrote:
... ask them to comment on why the decision was made for the access point to be on the passenger side.

I suspect it may well be something to do with the fact that if the car is parked at the roadside, in the UK, access via the driver's door would mean having to stand in the middle of the road whilst fiddling around trying to gain access! On safety grounds, therefore, it would seem to be on the correct side. I do, however, agree that the passenger side is the more likely to be inaccessible...

Post #157584 15th Oct 2012 12:58 pm
taztastic

England 

85% of LR vehicles are sold abroad, the large percentage of these will be LHD were it is almost certain that the "drivers" door will be clear for access.

The world and its car manufacturers are geared up for LHD vehicles, the RHD ones have many compromises, even to the extent that some models are not available in RHD form due to design characteristics that wont allow the steering components to be fitted on the right because of engine components in the way.

We just have to get used to this fact and live with it.

Post #157585 15th Oct 2012 1:07 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Hi Alex
Yeah... what times...
That Motronic driven 3.0 liters straight six CIH engine... Brings back memories...
Sorry for the off-topic... "

yeah fantastic car, 1st 3000 GSi i had the CIH engine about 177bhp but the GSI24v was DOHC engine with dual ram and 215 BHP with the cne engine code.

Wicked car for power slides and bullet proof engine. The power surge when the dual ram engaged was like a turbo comming in. Bring back those days Thumbs Up

Post #157590 15th Oct 2012 1:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

now costco have a online shop, Ive just been having a browse

Would these help?

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_ca...6.1/139572 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #158667 25th Oct 2012 12:13 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

jack wheels up. place ball bearings, or even dried peas on floor, a piece of ply wood/sleet plate ontop of the bearings, let wheel onto plywood and push the car across.

a trick used by some when putting oversized wheels on tractors and other big machines. a bit dangerous in that use as you can slip on loose bearings whilst moving a heavy wheel and end up with a huge tyre on your chest Confused

only works if your garage floor is smooth concrete or similar. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #158672 25th Oct 2012 12:47 pm
oldgeezer

the Problem with the dolleys is the front wheels need going in them as you cant move the car when its in Park and you cant remove the key unless its in park. When its parked against the wall in the garage you cant access the NSF wheel to jack it up to move it !

Its warning to everyone ! if your cars parked against a wall and it goes to sleep its a problem.

POOR DESIGN

Post #158675 25th Oct 2012 1:03 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Reverse into garage?

Post #158689 25th Oct 2012 3:16 pm
yorkshiregrit

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Bali Blue

oldgeezer wrote:

POOR DESIGN

I agree your garage is clearly not very well designed for parking a poorly freelander!

I appreciate that your car looks to be a bit of a lemon (all manufacturers have them) but if you know that the car goes into sleep mode when parked up for 3 weeks then you probably should park somewhere where you can access the passenger door? At least for the time being?

For the sake of some balance on LR's part, You admit that you normally leave a window open to allow you access, if you have forgotten to do this then it is not directly the fault of LR or their design and development people. You also had 3 weeks to remember and go back to the car and open a window before the car went into sleep mode?

That said I agree that LR need to do more to sort out the root cause of the problem(s) as you shouldn't have to park your car elsewhere if you do not want to. Responses like Liam's thus far are far from helpful in that regard I must say, I have found that involving any relevant authorities (trading standards, motor trade partherships etc) can often convince either dealers or LRCS to take your complaints a little more seriously!

Post #158693 25th Oct 2012 3:51 pm
Prisoner359

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but it might be worth asking the dealer to check the firmware in the relevant ECUs is updated to the latest version. Discovery 4 HSE - Aintree Green
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Automatic - Tonga Green
Defender XS - Tonga Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 ES Manual - Epsom Green - Gone Now *
Freelander 1 Td4 Kalahari SE - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 XEi - Epsom Green - Gone Now

www.greenlandrover.uk

Post #158694 25th Oct 2012 4:01 pm
oldgeezer

A anyones FR2 can go to sleep if left for periods of more than three weeks, very common indeed according to the Landrover assist guy, who said that when they are parked on gravel tight to a wall normally under a car port , breaking a window is the only option !

Yes i did forget to open my window but why should I have to leave it parked with the window open & why should I have to park it elsewhere other than my garage as I have 3 other cars so Garage is the best place for it.

Liams comments whilst he was trying to be helpful bless him, is concerning when they don't know the product ! well enough to get their facts right !

My FR2 has had more updates than I care to remember ! surprised the socket isn't worn out

The reason I don't reverse it in the garage is i suffer with rheumatoid arthritis and climbing over the centre consul and struggling in and out is the opposite reason I bought it for !

Post #158718 25th Oct 2012 6:31 pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 

Hi Everyone,

I apologise for my mistake, I misread the thread and therefore did not fully understand the concern or the question that was being asked.

As I’m sure you can appreciate it was not my intention to give incorrect or unhelpful information. Our main focus when joining an online community like Freel2.com is to help solve customers concerns and answer any unresolved questions. I’m sorry that on this occasion the response provided was not correct.

I hope I can be of assistance in the future, should you wish to discuss anything with me please send me a PM and I will be happy to respond.

Kind Regards,
Liam Please note that although Jaguar Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any direct technical advice. This account will be available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. If it is outside of this time, and you require assistance, please feel free to drop us a Private Message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can

Post #158794 26th Oct 2012 3:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>