« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > new tyres, still got a vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
2freel2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
new tyres, still got a vibration

So i just changed all 4 tyres, goodyears had lasted 33k miles, I think that is pretty decent for my driving style.

Had a vibration on the car for couple of months, had it looked at as i have the extended warranty, they said old wheels were out of balance and the power steering fluid and resevoir needed changing. Seemed little better (could have been placebo effect) but still definitely there between 40-45 in any gear, nothing below 40 and nothing above 45.

Like i said i was due 4 new tyres so figured get them changed and see what effect that might have. Opted for michelin latitude tour hps as they had an offer on in costco, 20% off any set of 4, £520 for a set inc. VAT seemed best deal i could find out there. That was on 235/65 r17 104v

Now the wheels were all balanced when new rubber fitted so that shouldn't be a problem but still got a vibration between 40-45.

Anybody else had similar issue/got any ideas what it may be?

Post #107186 7th Jul 2011 3:54 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

A) is vibration through steering or is it felt through whole car?
B) were wheels checked for flat spot on inner rim? Lots of alloys damaged with potholes and mainly shows on inside rim.
C) unlikely but look at all drive shaft gaiters for split or lubricant leak, a dry joint can cause this, especially front inner. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #107192 7th Jul 2011 5:41 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

I had vibration coming up through the steering and the body of the car plus a hi pitched wine.
what year was your registered ?
With the engine running undo the power steering fluid cap. Look inside, you should see a nice calm musheroom shaped cone of oil from the centre.
If you see loads od bubles and a violent flow then your filter is blocked wich will cause vibration throgh the steering and the rest of the car. If so you will need the steering fluid changed and a new housing as the filter is non replacable. A common fault on early models hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #107193 7th Jul 2011 6:35 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Can't help with your vibration problem, but i'll vouch for the Mich Latitude Tour HP tyres. I've done just over 30k with a set and still 4mm left. You got a decent price too. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #107194 7th Jul 2011 6:49 pm
2freel2

Cheers for the replies everybody.

I'll try to answer them in an orderly fashion.

Pegleg - good to hear the tour HPs are decent, only done a few miles yet but definitely seem bit quieter.

Superspark - Mine was registered march 2007. When i took it in a month or so ago they said the power steering fluid looked contaminated so they changed the reservoir and filled it up with new fluid. But I will check this again as soon as i get a chance.

Druand - a)It is felt through the steering AND the car, had a couple of passengers comment on it, when the chap test drove and i sat in the passenger seat I could swear i felt it through the passenger foot well. I have not been a passenger since they did some work and like i say i think it is a little better but SWMBO even commented that it is still there only the other day.

b)When they replqaced the tyres they didnt comment on anything but are you suggesting i get the alloys inspected for damage? I have never done any serious offroading but i am probably bit guilty of not slowing down for potholes and speed bumps as much as rigorously as i should

c)I will have a good look at the gaiters and see if there is any obvious damage.

The vibration is not arm wrenching but it is noticeable and rather annoying after a while. Like i say i have the extended warranty so i think i will also pester the garage a litle more once i have ruled out some of the above.

Post #107252 8th Jul 2011 10:30 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Propshaft out of balance Question

Post #107253 8th Jul 2011 10:51 am
alex_pescaru

In the range of 40-45, the vibrations are the same at any engine load, or it is more obvious when accelerating (high engine load/torque) and less obvious when cruising (low engine load/torque)?

Post #107254 8th Jul 2011 10:52 am
2freel2

Mrpherson strut - Once i have ruled out the other points and get it to the garage I will get them to check propshaft, i assume this is something they can do?

Alex_pescaru - Vibration more pronounced under heavier load in my opinion i.e. accelerating up a hill, but not massively so.

Post #107255 8th Jul 2011 11:07 am
alex_pescaru

Then check for plays in the front halfshafts.
Also check the bearing anchorage for the right-hand halfshaft.

Post #107259 8th Jul 2011 11:38 am
colian

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi my wife has just complained of same fault car vibrating at between 40 and 50 mph even when free wheeling down slope it started about a week ago when fl2 was used for first time after sitting for 2 weeks whilst we were on holiday but stopped doing it after a few miles but it seems to have returned again

Post #107444 11th Jul 2011 5:09 pm
alex_pescaru

Flat spots on tires because the car was staying without preparing the tires for standing still for prolonged intervals.
Normally all should OK after rolling a period of time.
Check the tire's pressure, inflate them a little over the normal pressure for a while and drive sporty (for heating them up).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=42

Post #107447 11th Jul 2011 5:21 pm
2freel2

So i got to the bottom of this.

The vibration suddenly got really bad one day so took the car straight in.

Turns out the bearing son one of the prop shafts and one of the drive shafts were very worm and hence there was play with the shafts. Both now replaced and vibration gone. Very pleased.

Post #158381 22nd Oct 2012 7:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1