Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > audio upgrade - Now Pioneer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Blitzer

audio upgrade - Now Pioneer

I've a 2007 FL2 HSE, the radio is built in and the sat nav has it's own screen.

Time for a change perhaps .....

I'm fed up with the inability to sync my latest gadget phone so that I can use hands free and the controls that are on the steering column.

I'm bored with the "same old" sat nav, but like the integration with low fuel petrol stations etc.

So .... what are my options, yep I guess the new FL2 is in there, but the budget isn't , so what are my options. Replace the sat nav unit with a nce shiny new audio/sat nav unit combined, hmmmm which model works PNP, I reckon I could use the existing radio area to house my amateur radio gear.

Hoping for some good responses here.

Last edited by Blitzer on 7th Jan 2014 6:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #156588 6th Oct 2012 1:04 am
Blitzer

Well I'm hoping someone has been down this route by now and can add some helpful advice.

I'd like to pimp my in car audio and sat nav, but more importantly to use my android Bluetooth hands free, what are my options, I'd prefer an all in solution rather than add a parrot:

I could go for an all in one double din unit that has Bluetooth, gps and sat nav, but these generally have their own built in screen, I'd prefer to use the existing screen or at least the space it occupies to have a "higher up" sat nav display.

I fancy adding a rear camera, it's a nice to have as the beeps do fine for me, but if it's easy enough to incorporate then i'll go ahead.

I looked at a vid on youtube with a kenwood dnx7190HD unit with a separate xd600 amp, looked real good, although a little pricey for my budget.

So, should I upgrade the head unit and amplifier to cover the audio and Bluetooth compatibility and simply buy a sat nav upgrade disk and use the in built screen.... would appreciate some constructive comments and advice including recommended compatible models.

Post #212598 2nd Jan 2014 1:28 am
Blitzer

I'm looking at the Pioneer AVH-X3500, it has dab and Bluetooth, with a rear camera feed.

Does anyone have any experience with this model, is it "fully" compatible with the steering controls etc.

Is sound quality any good

Post #212729 3rd Jan 2014 1:17 am
Blitzer

I have purchased a Pioneer X3600 with wiring harness and leads etc, hopefully will be here in next couple of days.

So what about DAB ..... there is an inbuilt antenna in one of the rear window panels, it has a connection stud. Can I simply hook up the pioneer to this or will I require an amplifier.

I had ordered a window antennae before I realised the inbuilt antenna was there so I'm covered wither way.

Post #213243 7th Jan 2014 6:49 pm
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I believe the connector is just to the ariel its self - as to wether it needs a booster I do not know. When DAB is installed at the factory there is a module on that side in the roof but I believe thats the whole unit and not just a booster of some kind.

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #213263 7th Jan 2014 10:00 pm
Blitzer

Thanks ccsnet, I did a little more surfing, it appears to be an amplifier that sits between the aerial and the head unit, wonder if the cable is in place, that would be nice so that I could test before I get an amp.

It's funny, when a question gets closer to an answer another question pops up .... are there two antennae inputs one for standard AM/FM etc and a separate one for DAB ... more surfing then lol

Post #213275 7th Jan 2014 10:26 pm
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I think there are 2 feeds yes.

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #213356 8th Jan 2014 6:12 pm
Blitzer

Ahhh - makes sense - thank you

Hope radio arrives tomorrow,

Just downloaded the manual, it shows two antennae connections.

Wonder if I can/should use the existing microphone or use the one supplied with the radio, would save some cable routing perhaps.

Post #213371 8th Jan 2014 8:22 pm
Blitzer

Radio and all cabling arrived.

Removed the existing facia and radio etc, checked the ISO harness but it's not compatible with my car connector, waiting for response from incartec.

Top grey plug is the one in the car, the lower plug is the ISO harness

Post #213628 12th Jan 2014 1:51 pm
Blitzer

Well it appears that my car does not have the standard audio system it has the ALPINE premium sound system
This means that the car has an amplifier located in the rear drivers side quarter. This amplifier is fed by fibre optic cables not standard analogue signals.

There is no easy plug and play solution for cars with the Alpine system.

I've been surfing around but haven't found a solution from anyone else that has been down this route !!! I'm looking for options preferably that do not involve re wiring or extensive panel removal Crying or Very sad

Post #213695 13th Jan 2014 2:56 pm
PuffyMcScrote

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Well, this kind of sucks. I just snagged an 08 HSE with the Alphine 9-speaker system (no NAV) and was looking for a possible easy upgrade to the stereo... Sounds like this is going to be a serious pain to do.

Post #216437 10th Feb 2014 3:28 pm
spelchek

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Alaska White

Hi all,

Thanks for keeping this thread informed and updated of your progress, Blitzer. We've just decided to buy out our leased 09 SE. As part of the deal with the minister for war, I'd like to upgrade our stereo as well. Ours has the 6-cd indash stacker (I suspect it's the standard and not premium system). I'm not all that fussed on upgrading the speakers (although a small subwoofer would be kind of nice on some long, late night highway drives) but I really would like to add USB/iphone connectivity. The AUX input option was a godsend for us when we bought the car - but now, 4years on, is a pretty clumsy setup in a country with strict 'no phone holding' laws.

I'm just starting my research this morning, and your was the first thread I found. I hope you have some joy with it. I[m now hoping the plug and play options are better for the standard sound system. In the unlikely event I find something in my googling that may be of help to you, I'll be sure to post it here.

Post #217986 26th Feb 2014 12:16 am
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Spelchek,

An easier route for you might be fitting Land Rover's own VPLFE0002 USB / iPhone / Aux input system. I recently bought a 2010 GS and had the dealer add it.
It adds two phono inputs (never used them), a short Apple 30 pin lead and plug (I use a 30 pin to Lightning adaptor lead which goes to a Brodit mount for my 5S) and a USB connection (currently has a USB stick in it with MP3s on it), all in the glove box.

The whole kit over-rides the analogue Aux In you already have.

The Apple lead's audio (if connected) takes priority over the USB and Phonos.

The USB can concurrently power a sat-nav or similar if you have one.

It all works pretty well. Occasionally the USB 'forgets' that it has a stick plugged in. The biggest minus is that nothing is displayed on the LR head unit, only 'Aux In' - no track names, etc.
So it's a bit dated (30 pin plug anyone?) but works well and means you keep your OEM head unit and steering controls, etc.
Looks pretty easy to DIY fit as well.

Post #217988 26th Feb 2014 8:06 am
spelchek

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Alaska White

le bouch - thanks very much for that. I'll check it out. Just a couple of questions: the iphone is plugged in, inside the glove box? Also - I assume you have to control the track selection etc from the iphone itself, is this correct? Does the steering wheel controls do anything when the iphone is the input device (other than volume I guess)?

edit -> Oh, one more: does the iphone connection also charge the iphone?

Thanks!

Post #217990 26th Feb 2014 8:47 am
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

le bouch - thanks very much for that. I'll check it out. Just a couple of questions: the iphone is plugged in, inside the glove box? Also - I assume you have to control the track selection etc from the iphone itself, is this correct? Does the steering wheel controls do anything when the iphone is the input device (other than volume I guess)?

edit -> Oh, one more: does the iphone connection also charge the iphone?

There is a small control box which plugs into the rear of the head unit. This box is taped in place behind the glove box but could be put anywhere, within reason.
Plugged into the control box are three leads - one has a 30 pin Apple plug on the end, one leads to a USB socket and the third to another small box with RCA phono inputs.

The small box and USB socket are screwed to a horizontal support which you can access when you open the glove box but again, could be put anywhere within reason. The Apple lead is only short so just hangs loose inside the glove box.

I have a 30 pin extension lead connnected to the Apple lead, fed behind the dash. Plugged into this is a genuine Apple 30 pin >> Lightning adaptor lead - this plugs into my iPhone, held in a Brodit holder. The Brodit is mounted to the right (RHD car) of my steering wheel on a Brodit mount.
Album / track selection can be done from the iPhone but all the steering wheel controls still work too so you can advance the tracks forwards / backwards, turn the volume up / down etc. Yes, it does charge the iPhone 5s just fine.

The signal quality / signal to noise ratio is so much better than plugging your iPhone's headphone output into the 3.5mm Aux input which LR fit as the standard input (mine's on the centre console, behind the handbrake).

The kit is expensive and is not perfect - it would be great to see track names on the head unit, for example. They retail in the UK for about £300 I believe, plus fitting, but having seen how it's installed I would say anyone reasonably competent could do it - it really is plug and play.

I got my dealer to include it in the purchase price of the car and you do see them come up on eBay now and again - I saw one go for about £100. FYI, there is an older kit available too which I was told to avoid (can't remember why now!) - the model number I quoted above is the correct one.

Post #218000 26th Feb 2014 10:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>