Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > How to leave tailgate open, yet still lock the car?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 
How to leave tailgate open, yet still lock the car?

I have a collie dog and I want to be able to leave the tailgate open when it's parked, yet still be able to lock the rest of the car.

Unfortunately, if I try this, the car honks its horn and refuses to obey orders!

Does anyone know of a way that the car can be "re-educated" in the ways of dog owners? Ben being a border collie (and it being a Land Rover) he is, of course, perfectly capable of driving it, but he does draw the line at re-programming modern vehicle electronics....

Post #155863 28th Sep 2012 1:46 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Try locking the car and then using the tailgate button on the keyfob to unlock the tailgate and open it. The other doors will remain locked and there will be no bleeps from the car.

Post #155864 28th Sep 2012 1:51 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Saw a guy the other week leaving his tailgate open for his dog and he used a spare tailgate lock and just pushed that in place so the car thought the tailgate was down and then he could lock the car without the horn sounding.

Post #155867 28th Sep 2012 2:05 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Both good ideas, thanks.

I'll try option 1 now.....

Post #155872 28th Sep 2012 2:58 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Option 1 works! Thanks Thumbs Up

My local dealer's service department controller couldn't come up with that one Rolling Eyes

Post #155873 28th Sep 2012 3:02 pm
Mona Geeza

Tigger wrote:
Thumbs Up

My local dealer's service department controller couldn't come up with that one Rolling Eyes

He probably runs a Nissan Cashcow thats why. Rolling Eyes

Post #155887 28th Sep 2012 8:15 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mona Geeza wrote:
Saw a guy the other week leaving his tailgate open for his dog and he used a spare tailgate lock and just pushed that in place so the car thought the tailgate was down and then he could lock the car without the horn sounding.

Surely this would activate the alarm, which would upon arming after a minute start blaring out?!

Option 1's my suggest too Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #156072 30th Sep 2012 9:47 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Big Dave wrote:
Surely this would activate the alarm, which would upon arming after a minute start blaring out?!

It shouldn't, because of the FL's two-stage alarm. One click to set the perimeter alarm, two clicks for the volumetric alarm. A single click (by design) allows dogs, children, etc, to be left in the car, or the windows to be left open without triggering the alarm.

I discovered a 'funny' with the tailgate and the alarm the other day though. I used the tailgate button to open the tailgate, put some stuff in, closed the tailgate (which re-sets the alarm) - all OK so far. Then about 10 minutes later used the tailgate button again, and the alarm immediately went off.

Post #156088 1st Oct 2012 9:37 am
Northsea Medic

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

We often do this when camping as we have the boot open but dont want a flat battery. Open the car and boot as normal and then use something (small stick, tent peg etc) to push the male part of the catch in as if it had located in the female part when closing. Once it is clicked into the shut position you can lock the car with one press of the remote and you wont drain the battery running interior lights.

Cheers

NSM

Post #156097 1st Oct 2012 12:11 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

pab wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

It shouldn't, because of the FL's two-stage alarm. One click to set the perimeter alarm, two clicks for the volumetric alarm. A single click (by design) allows dogs, children, etc, to be left in the car, or the windows to be left open without triggering the alarm.

I discovered a 'funny' with the tailgate and the alarm the other day though. I used the tailgate button to open the tailgate, put some stuff in, closed the tailgate (which re-sets the alarm) - all OK so far. Then about 10 minutes later used the tailgate button again, and the alarm immediately went off.

Good point Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #156118 1st Oct 2012 3:08 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Some good ideas here but any thoughts on a slightly different problem.When carrying out safety radio dutys on the BTDRA forest rally events we like to have the car open for easy access to respond to radio messages but like to have the tailgate up with a plastic sheet draped over it and held in place by spring clamps so we can use the gas stove fror heating food/drinks etc.out of the wind.
We can turn off the interior lights to reduce battery drain (its big enough from the radios) but the boot light of course still remains on.

So problem is to find a way of switching off the boot light without fitting a switch into the side trim as it could get knocked on by the amount of rally C**p we carry.

Where is the switch which puts off the light when the tailgate is closed or is it wired together with the interior lights so it times out?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Bill T. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #156460 4th Oct 2012 4:21 pm
Mona Geeza

Bill Turner wrote:

Where is the switch which puts off the light when the tailgate is closed or is it wired together with the interior lights so it times out?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Bill T.

Some vehicles use a mercury filled switch or similar liquid fitted inside the tailgate so when the hatch is raise it tips the liquid in the switch and makes the circuit, dont know if this is what Land Rover use though??

Post #156463 4th Oct 2012 4:56 pm
pab

Bill Turner wrote:

Where is the switch which puts off the light when the tailgate is closed ...

According to the workshop manual "The liftgate latch also incorporates the liftgate ajar switch that is hardwired to the CJB." The liftgate latch being the bit in the tailgate itself. Unfortunately that's all I have - it's not clear how the ajar switch works (contact/magnetic/proximity/etc) or exactly where it is. I did try using a screwdriver to flip the latch to its closed position, but the light remained on. (I did remember the timeout!) Perhaps further experimentation in that area might bear fruit.

Alternatively, of course, you could just take the bulb out. Or replace it with an LED bulb with a lower power consumption.

Post #156471 4th Oct 2012 5:47 pm
pab

pab wrote:
I did try using a screwdriver to flip the latch to its closed position, but the light remained on.

Actually, this does work. It's just that it's a two-stage latch and you have to make sure that it closes through both stages. So, just get a screwdriver or similar, press the latch through both stages, wait a minute or so, and the light will go out. To close the tailgate just open the latch first using the switch on the tailgate, the remote, or the dash buttons.

If I were you I'd make something which both closes the latch and remains in place with a bit of dayglo ribbon hanging from it. Otherwise the day will come when you forget and slam the tailgate onto a closed latch!

Post #156539 5th Oct 2012 11:51 am
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and sorry for the delay in acknowledging them.
Away rallying again.

Bill T. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #156796 8th Oct 2012 2:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>