Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Dipstick o ring size?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Dipstick o ring size?

Hello all,
My first post. Recently purchased a 4 year old Freelander 2 td4s. Does anyone know the size of the dipstick o ring? As it's perished & very tight fit. It's the o ring that fits on the top part of the plastic handle of the dipstick, that meets the top part of the dipstick tube.
Thanks.

Post #155200 20th Sep 2012 12:33 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Never heard of anyone having to replace that Confused

Dan at Duckworth would be the one to speak too, if the parts available he can free p&p it to you Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #155204 20th Sep 2012 7:04 am
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Dipstick o ring size?

Npinks,
The plastic yellow part is very tight when pushing it back into the top of the tube, same when removing it to check oil level. The o ring looks perished. Checked the dipstick operation on a 2012 2.2 td4, alot smoother & not tight.

Post #155215 20th Sep 2012 9:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

im not dismissing what you have said, but just saying i dont recall anyone having this problem before, theres always a first time though Thumbs Up

as said try Dan at Duckworths, if he can't help, for what ever reason if he can't then try Nick Lee at Yeovil landrover, they sponsor Disco3, his the parts manager and says if it has a landrover part number he can get it Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #155219 20th Sep 2012 9:39 am
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Dipstick o ring size?

Update.
Rung the stealers, can't sell me an o ring. Have to buy complete dipstick for £35. The car has 6 months used Landrover warranty, so will see if that will cover it. Otherwise would just fit the o ring, cut off old one.

Post #155220 20th Sep 2012 10:00 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

You can buy o rings of various sizes most places.my advice would be to buy a small pack of them for a few pounds and try them for the best fit. Its a lot cheaper than a new dipstick

Post #155221 20th Sep 2012 10:13 am
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

superspark wrote:
You can buy o rings of various sizes most places.my advice would be to buy a small pack of them for a few pounds and try them for the best fit. Its a lot cheaper than a new dipstick

Thanks for info.
Will try local dealers first for a free dipstick under warranty. As I've only had the car just over 3 weeks. Had this issue from day 1. If they won't replace it for free, I will buy a pack of o rings.

Freelander was suppose to be fully checked by dealer before I collected it. Had a 3 hour drive home, after collection. Then checked tyre pressures. 2 had 32psi (as they should), other 2 had 22psi. Not surprised by that. Usual dealer service. Also negotiated a spare wheel & tyre in deal. When I arrived at dealership, no spare. Said they would send it on to me. 3.5 weeks later, 2 phone calls from me. Still no spare. If no spare arrives by Monday, will write a letter to their head office. Thank goodness I have a receipt for it. Otherwise I'd have had no chance of getting one. Moan over Laughing

Last edited by Boroboy on 20th Sep 2012 2:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #155236 20th Sep 2012 2:13 pm
taztastic

England 

If the dealer has any sense they will be off to B&Q for a pack of O rings, while you leave it with them, Whistle

An o ring is a service item and wont be replaced under warranty, the dipstick isn't faulty, its serviceable parts have not been replaced so that is all that they will do.

I would also think that with the o ring being perished and very tight that it hasn't been out very often to check the oil level, little things like that have alarm bells ringing with me.

Post #155237 20th Sep 2012 2:22 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

OOps managed to post twice Laughing

Last edited by Boroboy on 20th Sep 2012 2:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #155239 20th Sep 2012 2:31 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

[quote="Boroboy"]

taztastic wrote:
If the dealer has any sense they will be off to B&Q for a pack of O rings, while you leave it with them, Whistle

An o ring is a service item and wont be replaced under warranty, the dipstick isn't faulty, its serviceable parts have not been replaced so that is all that they will do.

I would also think that with the o ring being perished and very tight that it hasn't been out very often to check the oil level, little things like that have alarm bells ringing with me.

Car has full maindealer service history from new, for what that's worth. 4 years old & covered 60k . Yes prob only 4rth time in it's life dipstick has been pulled out Laughing Will happen more often, now I own it.
Is it 5 litres req for an oil change? Which oil should I use, 5w 30 fully synthetic? Due an oil chnage in six months time, not the D filter this time round. May change it myself. Had plenty of experience with petrol engines. My first D. Well should say, my wife's first D. Bought it for her, will use it too. Especially in the winter Thumbs Up
Think I'll go for the easy option, change o ring myself. Never had that issue on any previous car before. Otherwise drives like a dream, not used any oil so far. Good sign.
If the o ring it is s serviceable part, Landrover dealer I'd rung does not stock them.
Just ordered a pack of them. Will fit as soon as they arrive Thumbs Up

Post #155242 20th Sep 2012 2:44 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Boroboy wrote:
Is it 5 litres req for an oil change? Which oil should I use, 5w 30 fully synthetic? Due an oil chnage in six months time, not the D filter this time round. May change it myself. Had plenty of experience with petrol engines. My first D. Well should say, my wife's first D. Bought it for her, will use it too. Especially in the winter Thumbs Up

Your car won't have a DPF, so doesn't need special oil. Castrol Edge 5W30 seems to be the one of choice. Not sure how much you need. If you feel like changing the filter it's a bit fiddly but there is a post on here about it.

Post #155244 20th Sep 2012 3:20 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

This one: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7840.html

Post #155245 20th Sep 2012 3:21 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

if you have no luck with the dealer re replacement dipstick I would just buy a new one.

for £35 I would bite the bullet and have a new one rather than mess about with O rings, etc

you don't want to risk an O ring coming off and dropping into the sump.

Iain

Post #155246 20th Sep 2012 3:53 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

Past master wrote:
This one: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7840.html

Thanks for link.

Post #155248 20th Sep 2012 4:04 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

iain cooper wrote:
if you have no luck with the dealer re replacement dipstick I would just buy a new one.

for £35 I would bite the bullet and have a new one rather than mess about with O rings, etc

you don't want to risk an O ring coming off and dropping into the sump.

Iain

If I can't get a tight fitting one, would buy a new dipstick. There seems to be a recess for it to go into.

Post #155249 20th Sep 2012 4:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>