« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Garmin Sat Nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Nairbr

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey
Garmin Sat Nav

Twice this has happened to me with the cheap arse Garmin Sat Nav that LR have fitted to the Australian models.

I jump in my car start her up and nothing from the Sat Nav, just a blank screen.
Then it comes good after 2 - 3 days without touching anything.

Has anyone else had issues with theirs?

I have my car booked in for it's first service next week and I will get the dealer to have a look at it, but if it does it again I will ditch it for a better unit when I change the sound system over.

That's if and when when the fascia parts I have ordered finally arrive from the UK, 35 pounds for shipping and so far it's been a month and no package.

Anyway, that is my Sunday morning rant for this week

Post #154830 16th Sep 2012 2:22 am
Silverbodgie

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand
Re: Garmin Sat Nav

Yes this problem with the Garmin has happened to me. I made sure the cable in the back is secure and since then everything has been ok.
Peter

Post #154832 16th Sep 2012 7:29 am
Nairbr

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey
Re: Garmin Sat Nav

Cheers Peter,
I suspected that might be the case as I have been driving over some seriously rutted roads lately

Post #154836 16th Sep 2012 9:59 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Yeah. Same here. I fitted my own Garmin and had an intermittent problem.
Turns out the socket at the back was loose.

Post #154839 16th Sep 2012 12:01 pm
Silverbodgie

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

After all the problems I've had with the Garmin, Land Rover has replaced the Unit. They have agreed to refund the lifetime map cost as well. Pete

Post #203137 15th Oct 2013 8:17 am
Aussie Battler

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
clueless garmin

I have a dealer fitted garmin gps that is intergrated into the sound system and it works very well ,except that it is totaly clueless . It has no idea were it is or were your destination is or if it knows were you are going it will take the longest route available (I think it was designed for taxis).Once it took me 15 k directly past the L/R dealer in Geelong (my destination) and finished up at a chook farm just south of Bourke ,luckly I had an old navman to guide me back . Checked that I had put the correct address in and it was correct .
Doug

Post #203315 16th Oct 2013 11:56 am
meken

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

point to note if replacing the stereo with aftermarket - the steering wheel controls somehow route through the stereo and are connected to the info screen on the dash - so no oem stereo no info screen on dash - so the oem stereo has to be relocated somewhere else in the car and remain plugged in ??

Post #205937 5th Nov 2013 5:03 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

My 'Dealer fitted' Garmin Nuvi 5" throws a wobbly if I take long drives. It strangely turns itself off and on again, randomly. It's a bit annoying at night as the off/on process means it flashes quite a bit, which is quite distracting.

I have also found it almost entirely useless for navigation in country areas - it consistently directs me up dead-end roads and such. Luckily, I have navigation software on my phone which is far more reliable.

It only useful as a large, visual display for speed, elevation, compass direction etc.
I'm currently looking for a decent replacement that uses ALL of the space in the dash housing, hence no requirement for a 'cover plate.' It looks like its about 6" or 6.5" area, so considering a low cost Andoid 7" tablet with Nav software. Any suggestions?

Post #208313 22nd Nov 2013 12:19 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Jaksbak, do you have TomTom in Aus? If so their Start 60 fits perfectly. There is a thread on the forum somewhere which details the fitting. Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #208397 22nd Nov 2013 7:37 pm
Terrible1

England 2011 Freelander 2 eD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Yes the tom tom start 60 is a perfect fit and also a great sat nav.
Even I managed to fit it in under an hour!

Post #208399 22nd Nov 2013 7:47 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

We don't have the TomTom Start 60 in Oz but I believe the TomTom Via 620 model is the same product.

Post #208440 23rd Nov 2013 12:10 am
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Jaksbak, Garmin have recently introduced the Nuvi 2797LMT which has a 7" screen. I'm interested in this since 7" is the factory fit screen size but it may be too tight a squeeze behind the console cover. I'll be checking all that out in the next month or so - if it is too big I think the TomTom Via 620 will be the answer.

Post #208449 23rd Nov 2013 3:45 am
Alan7140

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

I complained to LR at the outset and again after a 10K trip through NSW that the LR GPS lady in the dash kept on informing me that she didn't have a clue where she was almost as soon as the black-top ended, and that she'd start her information when I found myself back on a road she recognised. The tracks between these two occurrences also turned into straight connecting lines that went straight across rivers and lakes regardless of the road actually skirting the banks or shores.

Foreseeing this problem before the NSW trip I installed an in-car cradle for my hand-held Garmin 62s Map GPS with the misleadingly named Shonky Maps (free) installed and while there was no voice guidance the little Garmin unit displayed in fine detail every dirt track and offshoot I travelled on, along with displaying the Topo contours from that free program as well. It also gave silent but accurate turnoff approaching advice if a destination point was nominated.

There should at least be an icon along the lines of "Point to get lost at" in the route plan of the LR GPS to take the guess work out of exactly where the GPS will probably lose its way.

I did point out to LR that selling a 4WD with a GPS that got lost as soon as it turned onto a dirt road sort of defeated the purpose of both 4WD and putting the GPS into the dash in the first place (a no option equipment requirement with the HSE), but got no response from them. Probably lost the emails.

Post #208450 23rd Nov 2013 4:52 am
bookleaf

Australia 

Unfortunately Land Rover are not alone in this approach to GPs's. Mitsubishi are well renowned in Australia for the same thing.
Maybe it is just the tight-as..d Australian bosses that are to blame in their quest for $$$ profits in requesting the beta versions it be installed in Australian models, for there does not seem to be the same complains coming form other countries (from what I have read on other forums).

Post #208468 23rd Nov 2013 12:51 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Lots of comments - obviously the Garmin Nuvi is a sore point once off the main tracks. I too have installed Shonky Maps and it helps me quite regularly in the charted National Parks & State Forest, but the interface is a bit sluggish and laborious.
Over on a Prado site I see many people are opting for 7" tablets with OziExplorer software. Somebody is even going to the trouble of buying the latest Nexus Tablets, loading all of the software and the selling the unit as a package. Still looking for the ideal replacement for the Nuvi - in a bigger size too!

Post #208600 24th Nov 2013 11:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>