Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How to Install a TomTom 720T with no wires showing.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
How to Install a TomTom 720T with no wires showing.

At last we finally had a weekend without rain so I got out the cable strippers and insulation tape and got to work.

The intention was to install my new TomTom 720 with the TMC aerial, audio out jack and power all plugged in with no cables showing. Cool

Click image to enlarge

I did this simply by removing the rubber mat in the 'cubby hole' and drilling three holes in through the bottom. Shocked Dont worry, the sat nav covers them and you can pop the rubber mat back in when you stop using it.

I tapped a 12V feed off the back of the audio unit and I tapped into the aux input also on the audio unit so that the sat nav can play its mp3 player through the main car speakers. I leave the sat nav to play its guidance instructions through its internal speaker as often I listen to the cars radio. Finally the TMC aerial was going to be threaded up to lie along the bottom of the windshield but in the end I ran out of time and had to simply lay it up inside above the glove box area.

Set aside a good few hours mainly for preparing the cables and holes as getting the dash in pieces takes just 20 mins.

You can see the final results and key installation photos in my gallery. Ill take some more shots in daylight when I get time.

The unit is snug and stable but not so much that to remove it you just pull the top forward and then you can pull it a long way out (I left the cables long under the cubby hole) or you can simpy lay it on its back in the cubby hole and put a cloth over it - In 'stealth mode'. I will probably cut the side off a packet of fags so it sits over on top of it for a 'fully cloaked mode' Smile Of course its easy just to take out too......

JUST SO YOU DONT EVER BLAME ME FOR SETTING FIRE TO YOUR BABY.. This post are in no way to be considered fitting instructions and anything you do at your own risk and at your warranties risk! I am NOT an auto-electrician and I found the cables to use using my basic knowledge and a £12 test meter. If the car is a burnt out hulk on my drive tomorrow morning I'll be sure to let you know. Rolling Eyes

For instructions on how to get the dash in pieces check the referances in this post. https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1133.html?highlight=sat+nav

I found the landrover accessories fitting instructions mentioned on this post quite usefull. Another tip when removing the centre speaker grill (tricky as the studs holding it are stiff) is that if you remove the glove box (easy to do) you can reach up through behind the dash and push out one of he holding studs if you use a coin or something as the end of the stud is sharpish. Big Cry

Once everything is in pieces the audio unit has two plugs (GS version does anyway) the big one has a few thicker cables and (I think) I figured out that the 12VDC and common are the thicker Brown/Red and yellow/black cables respectively...at your own risk! Thumbs Up

I used the actual TomTom cigarette lighter plug and adapted it (cut it open) so I could solder into it. That way I keep the correct fuse which is built into it and the correct electronics (which I spied in there). The easiest way would be to buy a cigarette lighter socket and plug it into that behind the dash but I couldn't be arsed to go to Halfords in town on the second to last shopping weekend to Christmas. Banging Head

The audio jack goes in the other socket (I THINK). Blue coloured and blue/green wire for the two channels and green/yellow for the common. See the photos!

Anyway it all works so far, looks nice and I HAVE NO BLOODY WIRES!! Thumbs Up

And it has the Land Rover start up screen! Cool

Not as Cool as Funsmarts solution: https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1145.html?highlight=kenwood.
But that must have taken him three days! Bow down '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Last edited by scotster on 7th Apr 2008 7:15 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #11813 16th Dec 2007 9:43 pm
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Nice install scotser!!!

Thumbs Up

joe MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #11833 17th Dec 2007 4:38 pm
scotster

Thanks.

I'll do something more along the lines of Funsmart with the integrated screen once there is (hopefully) a more available after market install kit for the FL2.

Also, the 720 has all the whistles and bells including the phone handsfree which is fab. Even the wife likes using it as it has our three year old nephew giving the spoken instructions....very cute. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #11839 17th Dec 2007 6:10 pm
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Digging up this thread, as its got some usefull pics/links in it...

I bought a INCLINOMETER from Ebay (johncraddockltd) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0206433480 (Its more "black and grey chequerd look, than "Carbon look". Sad When it arrived, Its got a wire for illumination (Std Bulb)....so I ordered a GREEN LED, so it was illuminated the same colour as the rest of the Dash.....but Now I got this sorted, I need to wire it in, so its illuminated when the lights are on....better still would be if I could get it dimming, with the dash-dimmer....is this possible? '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #14502 21st Feb 2008 8:20 pm
scotster

Hello.

I certainly didnt look for or find a 'dimming feed' when I had the console in bits.

Good luck with that though. I know a few people would bde interested in it as the they have been looking for a feed for night dashboard lights. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #14504 21st Feb 2008 9:35 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Scotster, I am indeed impressed. I wish that I could do the same, but I am nuts in electrical things.
Your installation looks good and clean. The idea with the wire through holes at the bottom which also hold the navi unit is excellent.

Yamaha-Fan

Post #14670 25th Feb 2008 12:42 pm
scotster

Thanks YF.

Its a sign of my miss-spent youth with a soldering iron and a multi-meter Smile

It works well in 'stealth mode' too. See my gallery.

Its actually pretty easy to do. The key is having some auto electrical connectors so you can crimp the new cable into the existing wire without disturbing it.

The rest is just making sure you drill the holes in the right place!! '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #14672 25th Feb 2008 1:47 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I think it is important to use the official charging lead and its inbuilt electronics as Scotster did, As If I use the non official lead in my garmin it thinks its plugged into my pc and goes into usb access mode.

Post #14675 25th Feb 2008 1:57 pm
scotster

Good point CG.

I used it mainly because of the fuse but when i split it open there was a whole host of other little gizmos in there....

On saying that it also uns fine off my phone charger. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #14716 25th Feb 2008 11:01 pm
avtur

That's a cracking job there scotster, Thumbs Up

Given the number of times my car has returned to the dealers I decided not to go the custom fit route. That would be just another reason for them to pi55 me about.

So, here's my solution for mounting the 720 .....

[img] https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...&pos=5 [/img]

[img] https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...&pos=1 [/img]

[img] https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...&pos=4 [/img]

[img]https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10086&pos=1[/img]

Yes, thats a piece of glass custom cut to fit snugly in the cubby in the dash. The standard TomTom mount fits onto the glass. It is very secure. It goes without saying the edges of the glass have been and its perfectly safe to handle. At the end of a journey the mount stays on the glass and it is thrown into the glove box.

I would think this would work for any aftermarket SatNav, have also tried it on Garmin Nuvi 200 Widescreen

Last edited by avtur on 8th Apr 2008 4:22 am. Edited 5 times in total

Post #17254 6th Apr 2008 8:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

it looks a good idea there at least you can take the satnav away when the car is at the dealers

My concern would be the glass smashing in to shards in the event of an accident, would a piece of plastic/perspex be safer? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #17255 6th Apr 2008 9:05 pm
avtur

Tried perspex to start with, suction not as effective as glass, hence this mark 2 version. For ultimate safety then I suppose the glass could be toughened, must ask about that.

Post #17256 6th Apr 2008 9:09 pm
avtur

scotster, where did you find the LR splash screen?

Post #17257 6th Apr 2008 9:12 pm
scotster

Hi Avtur.

The splash screen is 'one I made earlier'.

Ill post it up later so you can download it.

When I send the car into service I put the rubber mat back in and the dealership is none the wiser of my modification. Thumbs Up

Unless Charles Hurst is reading this!! Rolling Eyes

S. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #17259 6th Apr 2008 9:31 pm
scotster

You can find it here.

Have fun!

http://www.scotster.f2s.com/FL2/splashw.bmp '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #17260 6th Apr 2008 9:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>