Home > General > Dodgy Car Buyer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
DiscoAtom

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Dodgy Car Buyer?

Hi,
I recently advertised my car for sale online and got an SMS and email from a buyer who claims he is an engineer working on an oil rig and he would like to buy the car (without inspecting it). He was asking for my Paypal details or bank account details so that he could pay me and with the funds cleared he would send his courier to pick it up.
Does he sound genuine or is he dodgy?

Post #153241 2nd Sep 2012 7:22 am
Moondog

South Africa 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

This scam has played out and is old in SA already. The buyer normally works on a oil rig, trawler, research or or leisure boat, and is buying for his poor father or other family member.

Don't engage - you will lose your car / bike. They have a reputation for getting quite aggressive too. Just walk away.

Post #153242 2nd Sep 2012 7:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

Moondog wrote:
This scam has played out and is old in SA already. The buyer normally works on a oil rig, trawler, research or or leisure boat, and is buying for his poor father or other family member.

Don't engage - you will lose your car / bike. They have a reputation for getting quite aggressive too. Just walk away.

Same in the UK 

Post #153256 2nd Sep 2012 10:34 am
alex_pescaru

Moondog wrote:
Don't engage - you will lose your car / bike.

But how is that as long as the money are ALREADY in your bank account and only AFTER that you'll hand over the car?

Post #153257 2nd Sep 2012 10:56 am
parallax33

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

You will get many more of these. They will write a bankers draft or make a payment and take the car. The draft or payment will not be genuine and you will lose the car.

I have no idea why auto trader cannot filter this spam out. It would be a simple rule to write...

Evil or Very Mad Mad 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY
2012 FREELANDER 2 SD4 GS AUTO BALTIC BLUE - GONE
2011 FREELANDER 2 TD4 GS MANUAL BALI BLUE - GONE

Post #153258 2nd Sep 2012 10:57 am
taztastic

England 

A well (scuse pun) documented scam, nearly always Oil rig workers

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23073

Post #153259 2nd Sep 2012 11:06 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

You need to ask for his bank details so you can take the money out of his account before they come for it Laughing
These guys are always working in some inaccessible location like a diamond mine and only get one day a year off work to come up to the surface, its a big scam, spam whatever Rolling Eyes

Post #153265 2nd Sep 2012 12:23 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

alex_pescaru wrote:
Moondog wrote:
Don't engage - you will lose your car / bike.

But how is that as long as the money are ALREADY in your bank account and only AFTER that you'll hand over the car?

Like Parallax33 says, the bankers draft will be dud and sometimes they use personal cheques. They seem genuine and even fool the banks...for a while. The result being the cheque clears, the money is in your account, the car goes and then the bank discover that the owner of the account the stolen/forged/dud cheque is cleared to shouts foul. The bank has to re-imburse the innocent account holder and then come after you for the money. Your car and the buyer will long since have disappeared. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #153267 2nd Sep 2012 12:38 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

You can always state that the car will not be released untill the funds are cleared and because you are not doing the deal in person there will be a 30 day waiting period after the funds have cleared in your account.
Also ask them for their ebay id so that you can send them an invoice.
After that bet you dont hear from them again. Rolling with laughter

Post #153268 2nd Sep 2012 12:56 pm
Moondog

Sample scam response to advert

Typical response:

Hello,

Great reading from you. I believe you must have buyer's interested in the purchase and I thought the best way to outbid them is by offering additional sum of ( R2500 )to the asking price . I am an oceanographer and am presently working in United states but I'm buying this as a surprise Gift for my Dad.

To start with, I can only make the payment via paypal because it's very safe and secure for both of us. In case you don't have a paypal account I'll advice you to register for one at  www.paypal.co.za . (I will cover the paypal charges) I won't be available to come for inspection due to my present location. I have a private pick-up agent that will contact you in-order to handle the pick-up at your place once the payment is completed.

I'll like you to tell me more about the present mechanical condition of the Bike, how often do you service it, the history, have you ever experience any mechanical problem with it before?

I'll be the one to handle the payment via Paypal because the pick up agent doesn't deal with cash payment on behalf of their customers. Your quick response is greatly appreciated so that we can proceed with this transaction a.s.a.p. I will keep checking my email every 15 minutes for your message.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Post #153273 2nd Sep 2012 2:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Please be aware the the FUNDS will show as cleared in your account but two weeks later your bank will find out that the cheque/bankers draft was a fake and make you pay...A well know scam..

Post #153274 2nd Sep 2012 3:10 pm
alex_pescaru

geoffk wrote:
Please be aware the the FUNDS will show as cleared in your account but two weeks later your bank will find out that the cheque/bankers draft was a fake and make you pay...A well know scam..

Forget my ignorance, but if the BANK has made a mistake and hasn't verified the source of the funds, why should they come after you and make you pay?
In the end, it isn't your check/it wasn't emitted by you, so why should they hold you responsible?

PS: Again, sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't worked so much with banks, checks, etc...

Post #153276 2nd Sep 2012 3:21 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Usually it considered that a check will be cleared after about 4 to 6 working days BUT the funds will not be released into your account for some time after that if they are still waiting for funds to be transfered from the other bank.
If you let your goods go before this time you may loose them as your bank wont credit your account or if they did then they will want it back.
Trying to get your goods back is almost imposible so never let goods go untill you have comfirmed money has been cleared in your account. You can comfirm this by getting your bank to make checks about two weeks after they were paid in.
If its nit cleared by then its not going to be Thumbs Up

Last edited by superspark on 2nd Sep 2012 4:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #153278 2nd Sep 2012 4:07 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Sorry guy's, I live in the UK, not America, so can we spell correctly please.

The word I'm referring to is CHEQUE not CHECK!! Evil or Very Mad ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #153279 2nd Sep 2012 4:16 pm
Moondog

Dave wrote:
Sorry guy's, I live in the UK, not America, so can we spell correctly please.

The word I'm referring to is CHEQUE not CHECK!! Evil or Very Mad

Your kidding, write?

Post #153282 2nd Sep 2012 4:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>