Home > Maintenance & Modifications > EGR Valve Location
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
EGR Valve Location

Morning All,

Looks like I need to change my EGR valve. I had a management light come on for the first time in 5 years, so took it to the LR dealer I use and they diagnosed the EGR valve.

To be fair, they said not to rush into buying one as the car drives fine and the warning light went off. But I thought I might change it myself.

I have never had reason to start looking for this sort of stuff on the LR, so my question is, where is it? and is it a bitch to do?

LR are quoting me 2 1/2 hours labour. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #152783 29th Aug 2012 12:42 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I do believe its at the back of the engine, Alex has some pics on here somewhere.

How can it be faulty??

Post #152784 29th Aug 2012 12:50 pm
Mav71

I would imagine it has just gone out of spec which threw the management light on.

I was on the way back from France and the management light lit up not long after arriving back in the UK. Car was fine and drove normally, and then the light went out on Sunday.

But I thought I would get it checked out. To be fair, my LR dealer said to me "The fault code refers to the EGR valve which will need changing 'eventually'.

My experience with EGR valves on other makes of cars would say it maybe just worn and not doing the job as well as it should.

If it is not hard to replace, then I might just go ahead and do it as they are not expensive. But if it is a bitch to do, I may wait until it actually fails. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #152786 29th Aug 2012 1:04 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

..or flush it out with intake tract cleaner....... or blank the damned thing off...or preferably both!

I have an irrational hatred of EGR valves Evil or Very Mad IMHO they are there so that manufactures can claim a lower emissions level for the engine, but in practice they cause more hassle and pollution than they are worth! (End of rant) John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #152789 29th Aug 2012 1:40 pm
Mav71

It has always ran on V-Power and every few months has a decent fuel system cleaner put in, so I doubt that it will be blocked up by much.

Would imagine after 5 1/2 years it is just starting to wear. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #152792 29th Aug 2012 2:27 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

My EGR valve went when in the Pyreneese !
LR told me its a bitch to change and about 3-4 hrs. The water has to be drained and watch out for air locks when refilled.
When i had a new valve mine was faulty and had to be done again !!!!!!!!! and more water loss !
Towing was a problem with a faulty EGR valve ! caused huge amounts of black smoke and erratic power on light throttle ! made it jerky. The soot was at random and covered the van Big Cry

Post #152806 29th Aug 2012 5:00 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

The EGR valve and cooler assembly is located on the RH side of the cylinder head above the exhaust manifold, and
secured with 4 fixings. An inlet pipe connects the EGR cooler to the exhaust manifold. Thumbs Up

Post #152816 29th Aug 2012 6:02 pm
superspark

The EGR valve can build up soot deposits on it as gases are recirculated which then become sticky.
These particals then stick to the inside moving part of the EGR which then can start to stick either open or closed.
This will then produce fault codes to indicate at what position it is sticking causing loss of power and or heavy fuel consumption with more than usual black smoke indication incorrect fuel mixture.
I have yet to strip off an EGR vale on a FL2 but have done them on other makes of car.
I have found them to be almost compleatly blocked and very stiff to move. Once cleaned it will move freely again with out any restictios and work for many more miles etc Thumbs Up

Post #152818 29th Aug 2012 6:29 pm
Mav71

Cheers Supersparks. Much appreciated. I can change a Vauchall 1.9 CDTi EGR in about 8 minutes!

Is the FL2 valve really that difficult to do? Does the water system have to be drained as suggested by OG or can it be worked around?? Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #152840 29th Aug 2012 8:58 pm
alex_pescaru

It's not difficult, it's just a lot of work...
As the EGR, cooler and valve, is/are between the engine and bulkhead, you'll have to remove the secondary bulkhead center panel in order to gain easy access.
Without this it will be quite hard, if not impossible, to remove some components... Or maybe working from above AND below the car, if you have an elevator.
And yes, because the EGR cooler works with engine coolant, you should drain the coolant.

Post #152843 29th Aug 2012 9:19 pm
superspark

Oh yes vauxhall vectras egr valves are so easy to change. Freelander 2!!!!!!!! Well thats a totally different ball game as Alex has just stated its not hard but just a pain in the arse Mr. Green

Post #152876 30th Aug 2012 10:14 am
Mav71

To be honest, I am sure I can do it, but I might leave it unit I have the service done and then cut a deal to have it all done in one go.

Cheers for all your help. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #152954 30th Aug 2012 6:32 pm
superspark

I dont now if your car is over 3 years old but if it is and your mot is due just remember if any warning lights are on on the managment side on the day of the MOT the car will fail the test due to new testing requirements this year.
If you do decide to change it etc PM me your full VIN and I will look up the part numbers for your car and work shop manual with step by step strip down and rebuild for that job Thumbs Up

Post #152958 30th Aug 2012 7:13 pm
Mav71

Thanks buddy, that is appreciated. At present the light has gone off and stayed off. The car will be 6 years old in December. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #153219 1st Sep 2012 8:26 pm
superspark

No worries mate just give me a shout if I can help you with anything Thumbs Up

Post #153223 1st Sep 2012 8:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>