« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Claim: Auto FL2 will be bad in snow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Claim: Auto FL2 will be bad in snow

One of the managers at work (years & years of driving experience apparently) was admiring my car today but made a serious (not pi Censored take) comment that even with terrific 4WD abilities, terrain response and even with winter tyres fitted, it would not be very good in snow due to the auto box.

Now, I tried to explain how the TR will step in and how you can change manually etc but it was like banging your head against a wall.

So for the experienced here, no doubt you will rubbish his claim as I did but what are your experiences of auto's in snow and do you prefer the commandshift approach?

P.S, I know we are still in 'summer' but I wanted to see you guys tear into this claim Laughing 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk

Post #152221 24th Aug 2012 7:48 pm
ad210358

England 

Is this the guy

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #152224 24th Aug 2012 7:56 pm
Bugblatter

United Kingdom 

He is so wrong. If anything, auto is better in snow. 2013 RR Evoque Pure Tech
2012 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey - gone

Post #152225 24th Aug 2012 8:07 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Freelander 2 is great in snow - I've driven both manual and auto Freelanders in snow and mud on normal tyres and not got stuck. Freelander 2 auto box used in Command Shift (manual) mode will hold the gear you select and linked to the correct use of TR and winter tyres it will be virtually unstopable.

LR Experiemce vehicles all run on standard road tyres so that the instructors can demonstrate how well the vehicles perform in difficult conditions such as snow and mud.

If you got a LR Experience voucher from your dealer then try it - preferably when the course is wet - if you want to show your manager the error of his ways take him along with you.

Post #152226 24th Aug 2012 8:08 pm
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

ad210358 wrote:
Is this the guy

That's so accurate Rolling with laughter :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk

Post #152227 24th Aug 2012 8:19 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Derbyshire? a guy who dislikes Auto's, face like a slapped arse?, do you work with 'the doctor'? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #152228 24th Aug 2012 8:25 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
Derbyshire? a guy who dislikes Auto's, face like a slapped arse?, do you work with 'the doctor'?

FANTASTIC CG Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter

In fairness though, I don't dislike auto's, I just dislike the FL2 auto. Matt Smith is an unusual looking chap but slapped arse is a bit harsh (being as you haven't met me, we have to use the current Doctor for reference)

Does sound rubbish though. Even I know full well that an auto FL2 would laugh at snow having seen what they can do at an LR day. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #152233 24th Aug 2012 8:50 pm
athelstan

CG there is no evidence in Kal-El post that his work colleague is in fact a Derbyshire lad or lass (and if it turns out they are) then they a) need their backsides wacking, and b) cannot be of Derbyshire parentage. Ner Ner

So back to the core subject:
As has been already pointed out the Auto box in the "manual" command shift mode and the use of the TR performs admirably in all types of snow and their depths. However Sheik Kal-El, do note that the salient descriptive noun here is "manual" which illustrates that when all said a done in the debate over manual vis-á-vis auto box it is the manual that is the superior and advantageous method of transmission when the going gets tough. Laughing

Finally, it is not an auto box or manual box allied to a TR system that gets stuck - it is the dim wit behind the wheel that inevitably "beaches" the vehicle like a stranded whale. Wink

Post #152234 24th Aug 2012 8:53 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Last winter I had to do a hill start on a bloody steep and slippy hill, fresh snow over icy slush over good old Yorkshire cobbles !

very narrow, dry stone wall at both sides, good chance of trashing the car, and oh by the way I had a VW golf hanging off the back on a tow strop !

so slippy and steep I could hardly walk when I went to shackle up the vee-dub

The auto freelander did the job no drama, not on special winter tyres , just Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain, I would not have attempted the tow with a manual, so I must arrive at the assumption that your work collegues is indeed talking out of his arse 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #152237 24th Aug 2012 9:09 pm
athelstan

MartynB wrote:
I would not have attempted the tow with a manual

For all the Pontifract cakes in pontifica why not. Still there's nowt sa weird as Yorksha folk in a 4x4.

Post #152243 24th Aug 2012 9:30 pm
Bottom

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Lots of experience = doing the same thing wrongly over and over again Very Happy

Post #152244 24th Aug 2012 9:30 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Used mine (auto) around the hills in Matlock last year went down hill with the TR and hill desent is amazing never had any worries at all.

Post #152249 24th Aug 2012 10:04 pm
Hicksy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

He's a noughut Thumbs Up 

Click image to enlarge

Freelander gone
Audi sold
Volvo xc60 r design coming

Post #152250 24th Aug 2012 10:18 pm
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

Freelander 2 is great in snow (with decent/not worn tires). Even the original Freelander was good in snow. Way more than you will ever need in the UK. We only get automatic Freelanders / LR2's over here, so don't know if a manual is any better.

Post #152253 24th Aug 2012 10:29 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Can't vouch for the manual, but we have had a couple of very interseting winters recently with more snow than usual. Never got stuck once, driving through snow to and from a quarry in Buxton every day, towing vans and cars out of ditches whenever I was asked.

This was either with the standard Wrangers, or the Goodyear MT/Rs. The standard tyres were good in snow several inches deep, the MT/Rs were good right up to the point were I was in danger of running out of clearance.

Might I suggest your friend is either misinformed, or just making biased comment.

Why would LR build the G4's as autos if they were inferior to the manual when traction was at a premium? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #152260 24th Aug 2012 11:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>