Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Exploring the 'Mountains' of the Jersey Shore
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TurboDan

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Whistler White
Exploring the 'Mountains' of the Jersey Shore

Putting the MTV show with the same name aside, the real "Jersey Shore" is actually an upper-middle-class coastal area, known for its beaches, fishing and sightseeing. Today, a co-worker and I decided we were going to explore what some call its only "mountain," a 200-foot sudden rise in the surface of the Earth about 10 miles from shore, accessible through approximately 7 miles of sand roads and dirt trails through the "pine barrens" of the coastal plain.

It's rough terrain, but I wanted to put the LR2 to the test.

Off we went:

Click image to enlarge

I turned Terrain Response to Grass/Gravel/Snow, then when the terrain got very rutted out and muddy, went to Mud and Ruts. There were a couple of sugar sand portions of the trail, but I kept it on mud/ruts and it was fine. The terrain was an odd mix, but that's what the New Jersey pine barrens are.

Click image to enlarge

Eventually, we reached a plateau where the "youth" seem to enjoy lighting bon fires at night.

Click image to enlarge

After that, the trail would prove to be much more challenging. I do know other vehicles have successfully navigated it, so I decided to go for it. There's a steep decline before the lookout point, so on went the HDC.

Click image to enlarge

And finally, we arrived. What a cool view! It reminded me of something I've seen in South America or Africa rather than something in New Jersey, only 20 minutes from my driveway.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

LR2 emerged muddy but unscathed!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  CAR HISTORY
1997 Saab 900 SE 2.0 Turbo
2003 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T
2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 2.3 I6

Post #151431 18th Aug 2012 2:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1