« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Garmin install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gsaps

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Garmin install

Like many others, I'm hoping to get a Nuvi 1490 to install and have read through some very helpful threads already. I'm not concerned about the installation of the unit itself, it's the connecting it to the power that I'm at a loss with.
Someone had suggested routing the wire into the glove box and using a cigar lighter adaptor in there, can someone tell me how to get a lighter socket set up in the glove box?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
Grant

Post #150544 8th Aug 2012 10:57 am
EYorkshire

With the Garmin the only advantage of a 'lighter socket' in the glove compartment is if you want the choice to keep the power off whilst driving.
My garmin has the lighter socket in the cubby hole behind the Garmin, the 2 core cable then feeds out of a hole in the cubby, down to the passenger side fusebox. It then connects live to F5 fuse and the negative to a bulkhead bolt nearby.
It's then powered by the car on startup and shutdown automatically.

Post #150546 8th Aug 2012 11:32 am
gsaps

thanks for the reply EYorkshire.
I guess it's the wiring things intot he fuse-box that I find a bit intimidating, I'm sure it's straight-forward but the most I've ever done with electrics is change a plug.
is it a case of getting some wire yourself and attaching it to the fuse box (what wire and how to attach?) and where does the wire come from to earth it to the bulkhead. The more I read this the more helpless I sound but hey ho, I'm old enough to ask for help Cool

Post #150547 8th Aug 2012 11:44 am
EYorkshire

Hi gsaps, no worries regarding the wiring up of it Thumbs Up but feel it may be safer for the car if an auto electrician might be the best guy to do it for you, labour wise it would be a quick job and he would leave your socket all ready for plugging in the Garmin.

This would go into the F5 position of the passenger side fusebox http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF5110 although he could make one up himself like myself and others have done on this forum.
The live wire would crimp onto that and go up to the centre pin of the lighter socket, then another wire would be bolted to a nearby earthing point and go up to the outer of the lighter socket. These two wires can be seperate or what I used was round 1mm twin lighting drop cable.
As the Garmin is already fused the F5 fuse rating is there to protect my cable, that's why I used a 5 amp fuse.

Post #150549 8th Aug 2012 12:25 pm
gsaps

Thanks again EYorkshire, that helps a lot, I might actually give that a try Thumbs Up

Post #150557 8th Aug 2012 1:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1