Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > It won't start and hazzard lights are flashing.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
4por4

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
It won't start and hazzard lights are flashing.

I got a call from my wife and the LR2/Freelander 2 won't start.
Key was inserted, brake pedal pressed and start button pressed. only a small crank and then all lights on dash went haywire, hazzard / warning lights started flashing constantly key would not eject after this. Pressing the hazzard / warning button did not turned them off. She also got all kinds of error messages on the dash and the stereo display showed black lines accross.

I am not home as of yet. This happened an hour ago and the report from the wife is that the car is absolutely dead. No lights anywhere! Key is still on the dock. Other key won't do anything.

Is it safe to think that it is a bad battery?
Can I jump start the vehicle?
Where do I start?

Any help please! Crying or Very sad Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #150296 5th Aug 2012 12:08 am
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Certainly sounds like a flat battery and, yes you can jump start the vehicle, just be sure to follow the connection instructions in the manual and all should be well. I found out the hard way that, unless you lock the car with the remote, the battery will go flat after a few days due to the background current drain for some systems. It was likened to switching the TV off with the remote, the picture goes, but the set is still in standby, drawing a small current. There were many warning messages etc., all down to the battery being flat. Anyway, I hope that it is that straightforward for you, good luck.

Post #150300 5th Aug 2012 5:01 am
4por4

Well I just got home and I tested the battery and it was at 6.8 Volts. I am heading to buy a battery tomorrow morning.

Should I keep this old one and charge it to have as a back up?
Or do you think is junk now? Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #150301 5th Aug 2012 5:45 am
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Whilst on the subject of how to stop and lock the cars, has anyone heard of a problem with lowlife scum being able to clone the electronic signal from the key if you use the key from a distance to lock the motor, so that they are able to gain access and drive off? Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #150320 5th Aug 2012 6:38 pm
4por4

New battery is in.
I purchased a BOSCH 94R and its a direct fit. Terminals and wiring fit perfect and so does the vent.
I used the foam tape that was on the original battery and attached it to the new battery.
Car didn't start the first time I pressed the button. It just cranked for a few seconds and stopped. After that, the stereo turned on and so did the NAV screen. Tried starting the car one more time and off it went. I had to reset the windows to roll up with one touch.
Battery read 14.56 volts while the car was running. Tested the battery again with the car off and it reads 12.6 volts right after shut down.

So far so good!
I'll post if i see any more changes.

Click image to enlarge

Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #150323 5th Aug 2012 7:12 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

rjc1944 wrote:
Whilst on the subject of how to stop and lock the cars, has anyone heard of a problem with lowlife scum being able to clone the electronic signal from the key if you use the key from a distance to lock the motor, so that they are able to gain access and drive off?

I heard it used to be a problem when the remote key/plip system came out, but now the system is designed to change the code after every plip of the key button so it should never be the same two times in a row, if anyone did pick up the signal from your key it would be a different code on the next press so would not operate if anyone got and tried the last code?

Post #150330 5th Aug 2012 7:48 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Glad you got it sorted 4por4; as a matter of interest, how old was the previous battery?
Cheers, Graham

Post #150352 5th Aug 2012 10:49 pm
ad210358

England 

When I had a new battery fitted they had to connect a laptop to the Freely and reconfigure a number of settings, one I can remember is what accessories and extras are on the vehicle, Heated Seats etc, it seems the the battery is programmed to discharge and recharge to keep it in peak performance.

Post #150355 5th Aug 2012 11:13 pm
4por4

egipp, Thank you.
The battery was in there from the beginning, 2008. It was the battery LR put in there from factory.

ad210358, I didn't check the heated seats...interesting. i will check in a little bit. Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #150363 6th Aug 2012 2:21 am
4por4

Heated seats worked no problem. i checked all accessories and they all work as well. Rear monitors, nav screen, heated seats, heated windshield, satellite radio, etc...

I must say that i was a bit scared that the battery wouldn't fix the issue. I sure am glad it worked! Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #150402 6th Aug 2012 5:42 pm
ad210358

England 

Don't think its to do with, if they will work or not, the battery to keep it at peak, is programmed to discharge and recharge. The radio was another thing also, which type was fitted, it was a screen of tick boxes on his laptop.

Post #150410 6th Aug 2012 6:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1