Home > Technical > Clutch slave cylinder failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Davy Freelander

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Clutch slave cylinder failure

Hi I wonder if anyone can help.
I have a high mileage Freelander which had a clutch slave cylinder replaced under warranty by Evans Halshaw. (not by a land rover dealership. 3 months later and the cylinder fails again.
The garage tell me the cylinder has failed, but not warranty covered now as its due to the flywheel being worn? How can that possibly happen?!?! Note that the clutch wasn't slipping or causing any concern before this failure. I cannot understand how this can be the case, and am very sceptical as the garage botched up the replacement of the rear brakes 3 times without success, prompting me to take the car elsewhere to be told the job had been done wrong and parts were missing!

Can someone explain to me how a worn flywheel can cause the slave to fail, as I feel it's a technical impossibility ! And also a 'trading standards' job. Zermatt '57 Silver Freelander 2 GS -
Ocean Blue '01 Porsche 911 -
Green '54 Freelander 1 S -gone

Post #149850 30th Jul 2012 10:55 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Davy,
Trying to understand your post, but i'm a bit confused!
If the clutch slave cylinder has failed, then the clutch pedal goes down without any resistance and nowt happens. Is that correct?
If the flywheel is worn, then the clutch will slip between 2k and 2.3k rpm and mainly in a high gear at peak torque but the clutch pedal behaves normally.

What's happening to yours? Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #149857 31st Jul 2012 12:19 am
Davy Freelander

Hi - the pedal is flat on the floor, and the clutch fluid is all over the road! The cylinder failed like this last time, but I think it has been badly repaired and the garage don't want to admit it. They advised I change the worn clutch last time, but as it was functioning well with no slipping I declined. I fear they are using this As a reason to blame me, and avoid warranted repairs, but there is no way a worn clutch could cause this to happen unless it physically left the driveshaft and struck the cylinder!! Zermatt '57 Silver Freelander 2 GS -

Post #149858 31st Jul 2012 12:28 am
Pegleg

Davy,
Agreed. That's nowt to do with a worn clutch or DMF.
Quite simply the slave cylinder has failed although I find it odd that it only lasted a few months.
Methinks the same as you, they are 'trying it on'. Did they pump out the old fluid and use new? Hope so.
In any event, the work that's been done is still under warranty, so tell 'em to fit a new slave cylinder and leave the clutch alone. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #149860 31st Jul 2012 12:46 am
Davy Freelander

Thanks peg leg - its reassuring that you think the same. I will challenge their crazy claim today and see where I get. I think it's worth getting an independent verification of what they say by the RAC if they stand by their story? Zermatt '57 Silver Freelander 2 GS -

Post #149874 31st Jul 2012 7:54 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

davy if the dealer is now saying that the flywheel is now worn this should have been spotted when you first had the slave replaced therefor with the dealer not spotting this and reporting it to you last time i would say its the dealers problem and you should ask for some contribution from the dealer twords cost ie you payfor the parts they supply the labour Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #149875 31st Jul 2012 8:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Davy Freelander

Thanks alf yes they did point out wear at the time, but as it wasn't slipping or showing noticeable problems I declined replacement. My problem is that the worn flywheel could not damage the slave cylinder, as they claim? Zermatt '57 Silver Freelander 2 GS -

Post #149879 31st Jul 2012 8:21 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

After reading your posts it is clear to me that the slave cylinder has failed due to faulty materials.
To change this part the gearbox must come out and any decent garage would of looked at the clutch plate and flywheel to check on its condition on a high millage car.
Because its a big and expensive job it would of been foolish not to supply you with this information.
Im puzzeld by the fact that they are now saying its the dmf as if this was the case then they would of known this BEFORE the rebuild and you would of been informed, at which point if you ignored their recomendations then so be it.
You say there is oil leaked out, well that can only be a oil seal that has failed.
What garantee did they give you with then new slave cylinder? as it should be at least 12 months warranty with it.
I think you need to go back to then and offer them the chance to put it right or threaten then with legal action.
I once had a similar problem many years ago and in the end after they said they wouldnt put it right told them I would get an independant servey done and from the results of that take legal action.
After that they then decided to sort it out and it did not cost me a penny.
One word of advise I would give you is when your car is sorted out give them a wide berth in the future. once bitten twice shy, best of luck mate and let us all know the outcome Thumbs Up

Post #149886 31st Jul 2012 9:50 am
Davy Freelander

Thanks for your help and support- armed with this I have just told the branch manager to ensure he is entirely convinced by his technicians story before I have it independently checked by the RAC, and use the results in legal action.. I await his response! Zermatt '57 Silver Freelander 2 GS -

Post #149901 31st Jul 2012 12:50 pm
Davy Freelander

Hmmm. Their current claim is that the flywheel bearing is so worn the flywheel is wobbling and causing the slave cylinder to fail? How could it be positioned that close, and why did I feel no vibration? Zermatt '57 Silver Freelander 2 GS -

Post #149907 31st Jul 2012 2:55 pm
EYorkshire

Unlike some cars that has the 'Slave Cylinder' external and operates a fork, the FL2's 'Slave' is direct acting and sits on the main shaft. It can get damaged by any problems with the clutch or DMF.
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...amp;pos=89

Post #149913 31st Jul 2012 3:52 pm
Davy Freelander

Ah- thanks for that. That is the claim-that the bearing is worn and causing the slave cylinder to vibrate? But even if vibrating wouldnt the piston and cylinder remain intact? Zermatt '57 Silver Freelander 2 GS -

Post #149916 31st Jul 2012 4:41 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

"Hmmm. Their current claim is that the flywheel bearing is so worn"

What exactly is a flywheel bearing????????? The duel mass flywheel is in fact two flywheels in one. The main part is bolted to the engine crackshaft and rotates at the same speed. This part of the flywheel is connected to the secondary part which is in contact with the clutch plate and presure plate and the direct online slave cylinder with release bearing sat on the input shaft.
The two parts of the Duel mass flywheel are designed to move a small amount controlled by springs to soften out the pulses from the engine giving a much smoother output to the gearbox.
The crank shaft runs through main bearings keeping the crankshaft running true.
If the DMF was faulty then you would feel this as a sort of banging snacthing feeling along with some odd sounds when pulling away.
The only thing I can think of that they are on about would be the clutch release bearing and should always be changed when the gear box has been removed as this part is farely cheep to replace.
All these things SHOULD OF BEEN CHECKED prier to the rebuild.
There are simple tests that should be carried out on the DMF to check the condition of the springs ( do a search on utube and you will see what a failed DMF looks like), clutch plate (visual inspection of the linnings and condition of the springs) pressure plate (check for warn or bent plate fingers, if suspect,replace)
Any decent workshop would of informed you of these problems before any rebuild and it makes my blood boil with anger that they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes, its disgusting to think that they could be so incompadent in there work

Post #149925 31st Jul 2012 5:35 pm
Pegleg

Looks like this could be a long haul as the garage did recommend a new clutch.
Even an independent assesement means taking the gearbox off, almost a days work.
Until it's all apart, no one could say.
Understand your predicement Davy, not nice Big Cry Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #149937 31st Jul 2012 7:31 pm
Moondog

South Africa 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

Davy Freelander wrote:
........... The cylinder failed like this last time, but I think it has been badly repaired and the garage don't want to admit it. They advised I change the worn clutch last time, but as it was functioning well with no slipping I declined .................

It sounds like the advice given last time was quite possibly on the mark. I would however expect that if they knew that the clutch was failing and would likely cause a repeat of the slave failure, that they either refuse to complete the work without a clutch replacement, or insist that you sign a disclaimer.

Post #149938 31st Jul 2012 7:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>