Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Oh Dear! then again they are all over three years old.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
majorguk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver
Oh Dear! then again they are all over three years old.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21...-year.html

Post #149465 26th Jul 2012 10:34 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

The FL2 generally speaking is the exception to this, I have heard many reports that it fairs better than the Disco et al (clutch/DMF and minor electrical gremlins notwithstanding).

A guy at work has a BMW X3 (new style) and has said how much better BMW's are. I said I couldn't disagree with him on interior quality and robustness of the materials but when it comes to badge clout, BMW are second fiddle in the 4x4 sector. He dismissed my claims of superior off road ability by saying that the new system on the X3 is just as good if not better than the FL2 off road Rolling with laughter

I challenged him to a run up Monsal Head which he declined to take because he knows he would get his ass kicked. I have been up there and a Defender owner said that is about the greatest testament to the FL2's abilities. It's not just BMW's though, any other brand of compact 4x4 no matter how reliable will not be as reassuring when the going gets tough off road or in adverse weather conditions.

More reliable the others may be, but still inferior all things considered. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #149471 26th Jul 2012 11:24 am
alex_pescaru

I would be interested what means "break down"???
Because if it's that a switch or a light bulb doesn't work or a battery is discharged after forgoting a consumer on or "wait dear, I hear a strange ticking sound" that proves to be a pebble in the brake disk, sorry...
In my opinion a break down is when you cannot move the car on its own.

Post #149475 26th Jul 2012 12:23 pm
muddywheels

England 

Of course these figures do not include under 3 years because LR assist deal with them and they would like to keep them quiet Whistle

To be fair though never had a problem until the RRS so always took these articles with a pinch of salt until now Big Cry Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #149476 26th Jul 2012 12:28 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

The Doctor wrote:
The FL2 generally speaking is the exception to this, I have heard many reports that it fairs better than the Disco et al (clutch/DMF and minor electrical gremlins notwithstanding).

A guy at work has a BMW X3 (new style) and has said how much better BMW's are. I said I couldn't disagree with him on interior quality and robustness of the materials but when it comes to badge clout, BMW are second fiddle in the 4x4 sector. He dismissed my claims of superior off road ability by saying that the new system on the X3 is just as good if not better than the FL2 off road Rolling with laughter

I challenged him to a run up Monsal Head which he declined to take because he knows he would get his ass kicked. I have been up there and a Defender owner said that is about the greatest testament to the FL2's abilities. It's not just BMW's though, any other brand of compact 4x4 no matter how reliable will not be as reassuring when the going gets tough off road or in adverse weather conditions.

More reliable the others may be, but still inferior all things considered.

Yes, but no point having a ' superior ' car if you can't use it !! When we had a week of heavy rain a couple of months back my FL2's wiper motor broke ( Just over 2 years old and 17,000 miles ) after one day of heavy rain. I then had to use my BMW (Original wiper motor and on 10 years and 140,000 miles) for 2 weeks whilst landrover went through the diagnosis / order part / fit part faff. Thankfully, despite heavy rain and local flooding, my BMW never let me down - meanwhile, the FL2 was unuseable !! FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #149477 26th Jul 2012 1:06 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Yes Pedro that is a fair point and you certainly have a good Beemer there but there are many cases where supposedly reliable executive cars like Audi's, Beemer's and Merc's have proven to be a nightmare for owners.

Touch wood I have had no problems with my FL2 which compares well against my sisters 3 series Beemer which was hideously unreliable and so she got rid in favour of a Lexus which has been trouble free. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #149478 26th Jul 2012 1:27 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

The Doctor wrote:
Yes Pedro that is a fair point and you certainly have a good Beemer there but there are many cases where supposedly reliable executive cars like Audi's, Beemer's and Merc's have proven to be a nightmare for owners.

Touch wood I have had no problems with my FL2 which compares well against my sisters 3 series Beemer which was hideously unreliable and so she got rid in favour of a Lexus which has been trouble free.

Yes, unfortunately, all cars can have problems - my worst ever was a Toyota ! I do think that the drive for reduced emissions, lower weight etc has not helped and has caused cars to be overly - complicated in the wrong ways e.g. electronic handbrakes, DPFs etc and it may be that a more - detailed analaysis of the statistcs would reveal some interesting facts. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #149480 26th Jul 2012 1:39 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

at least l/rover havant had a major recall over sticking accelarator pedals Whistle and they looks as if they have taken l/rover as a group and not been model specific Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #149486 26th Jul 2012 2:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21...-year.html"
I'm afraid i couldnt agree more with the above article.

Landrover only have themselves to blame with appalling customer service and after care and quality !
I wont mention how many days of the year mine wouldn't start or couldn't be driven ! each and every year Whistle

Post #149487 26th Jul 2012 2:51 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Personally, having had direct experience of Warranty Direct's own reliability, I don't think that they are in a position to hand out criticism about the performance of other companies and their products.

Until Warranty Direct move out of their own particular glass house, I suggest that they stop throwing stones! Rolling Eyes

In fact, combines the "facts" reported by Warranty Direct, with the editorial and reporting skills of the Daily Mail and I think you have the makings of something that Comical Ali might have been proud of Laughing

Post #149519 26th Jul 2012 7:36 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Daily mail= Racist in public so you don't have to be!

Post #149525 26th Jul 2012 8:12 pm
Big Hammer

United Kingdom 

Had mine since March, 10,000 miles and only minor niggles, squeaky wing mirror being the major one. Had a misfire at low rpm and a bubbling noise. high speed run seems to have sorted that though. Tad concerned about tyre wear though, looks like new ones in 2-3 thou miles now.

Post #149528 26th Jul 2012 8:40 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

The problem is these figures are meaningless without putting them into context...

For example as some else eluded to, what do they class as a breakdown... For example if you have paid out for a warranty and you have something goes slightly wrong that does not stop you driving then you are bound to make a claim in a 30,000 vehicle... People in horrible cheap jap mobiles probably not in the other hand.

Also what sample of data are we talking??? I imagine there are far more Hondas and Toyota than land rivers on the road favering the nap mobiles when it comes to stats????

Also Landrover only make expensive complicated cars with many thousands of components and more computing power than the shuttle however you can buy an Honda or a Toyota and even a BMW which are far simpler

I think you just have to take it all with a pinch . If you like the car you will get over miner problems an even major ones if they get fixed in a decent amount of time but all manufacturers will produce lemons and every one will have a bad experience.

Mine was with a company Audi a4 who's turbo blew when I was on holiday and going over the pont de normandie!! I didn't think I was going to get up it!!!

Swore I'd never buy an Audi since though! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #149533 26th Jul 2012 9:40 pm
Remoh1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Buckingham Blue

only had a quick look at the article but it looks like its based on number of cars insured by the warranty company vs number of claims. Says nothing about usage. My wife has a Honda CRV I have a freelander 2 she has had hers 3 years and it has broken down once due to a dead battery. I have had mine two months and had the RAC out once due to lots of errors on dash and non starter. Turned out glove box light switch had moved and light was staying on hence on board computer wasn't shutting down so flat battery. So on that info her car is as reliable as mine, however in 3 years she has done around 5000 miles in two months I have done 3500 miles so if mine keeps running for another month without a breakdown we will have covered the same number of miles and had the same number of breakdowns. but she will have had her car 3 years and me 3 months

Post #149536 26th Jul 2012 9:56 pm
heliosuk

I don't think I have read so much rubbish for a long time. Typical daily mail **ss poor reporting as usual.

The figures are quoted from one mickey mouse warranty companies data and do not reflect the whole picture. The only way that you can get an accurate comparrison is to compare like with like and companies like Honda, Toyota, VWetc have nothing that is comparable.

As the traditional saying goes there are lies, damm lies and statistics.

Perhaps a better and more interesting survey to read or carry out which would be more relevant would be to look at the number of claims across all makes where the company concerned squirmed out of their obligations putting a failure down to wear and tear.

Utter tosh and crap journalism.

Post #149538 26th Jul 2012 10:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>