Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > My bigger driving adventure.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Vesko

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
My bigger driving adventure.

(Flinders Ranges and Lake Eyre. Seven days trip to the outback of Australia around 4 500km, 8l/100k)

The preparation:

I never knew that the preparation for my trip to Lake Eyre will take so long and so much money. Working hard I started to think what will I need. I had only the MaxTrax and a small 12v compressor. Air Jack, snatch straps, bow shackles, hand winch, extension straps, fuel and water containers - I HAD NOTHING!

It’s well known problem with the tyres. 18’ wheels look great in the city, but the common opinion is: with road tyres they are not good in the bush. Like many before me, I tried different options, but in Australia it is simply not possible to change the standard 18’ without paying a premium. Yes, they suck in the bush, but so what, I tell myself - this should not stop me to go. I buy one extra tyre ($275 the best I find), then I pay a whopping $360 for a tyre player repair kit, air jack from the internet ($120), a small emergency hand winch ($99), 20m winch extension strap ($70), a new “super heavy duty” compressor ($89), bow shackles ($19.99), snatch strap ($99.95) and so on… Amazing how addictive this is.

Next is the roof rack. I plan to put the tyre on the top, together with the extra fuel and water. It holds only 60kg and it costs $350. By now I feel very guilty about the money I spend just for the recovery gear. I decide against the roof rack, thinking it will increase the drag and fuel consumption and also it’s inconvenient to load and pull down staff from above. I have a plan: I will remove the front passenger seat to fit everything in. But that’s a new problem – the air bags might suddenly blow out, because I read such stories on the internet. I call some of the local car electricians and they assure me there is no problem as long as I keep the key out of the key bay. The air bag warning light will come on, but they will clear it for $85 to $100. The seat itself is very heavy, I should be careful while pulling it out… I decide to try fitting all my gear at the back and luckily, I manage. I don’t have to remove the front passenger seat. The extra tyre fits behind it, 20l diesel can fits behind the driver seat and it is perfectly levelled with the lowered back seats (with removed bottom parts). Everything, water (50l), food, cooking staff, portable BBQ, chair, table, deck umbrella, cool box with frozen meats and vegies, inflatable bed, sleaping bags, pillow, blanket, shovel, extra battery plus tool bag and the recovery gear fits at the back and I tie it all down with two crossed straps, hooked at the bottom back of the front seats.

Finally I am ready to go…

Watch this space friend, soon I’ll tell you how did it go Very Happy

Post #148707 16th Jul 2012 12:16 pm
razmabaz

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Ad if we don't hear back from you we'll know you never took enough stuff! Have a good trip!

What about a Radio? Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto MY08 - Santorini black

Post #148728 16th Jul 2012 3:41 pm
Vesko

Yes, you are right, I took too much stuff - the food alone was enough for a month... But, you can never have enough useless things in the outback of Australia Very Happy

I didn't buy any radios or a sat phone, my budget was exceeded. I bought the Topo Australia and NZ maps instead.

Last edited by Vesko on 17th Jul 2012 12:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #148783 17th Jul 2012 9:51 am
Vesko

Day 1 Sydney to Broken Hill

I start early - wake up at four, brush teeth, shave, coffee in the flask, ice in the ice box with all the frozen meets and cold drinks and away I go. Somehow I trust Garmin (and the new Topo Australia and New Zealand maps I installed) and follow its instructions. It gives me quicker way to get out of Sydney and I progress well with breakfast at Bathurst’s McDonalds and pleasant drive to Wellington (in NSW), but then something happens and Garmin tells me to drive South/West and I follow without thinking. I hope it will be the quickest way. The distance of 1400km to Broken Hill seems longer than what I expect, but this morning I feel adventurous and don’t mind driving a little longer. Just give me the open road. Yes, I get the open road - I drive through Parkes, Forbes, West Wyalong, Hay and Balranald.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Soon I fall in one of these conditions, which allows me to drive to the end of the world, without thinking, and without fatigue, like a zombie. I am simply focused on the road. I stop only for diesel and a few quick toilet breaks, forgetting about lunch. Soon I feel my head starting to hurt. Perhaps it is from lack of food. The next stop for fuel I buy some chocolate bars and a packet of salty chips. With 2 cans of coke the headache goes away (for now).

This morning I started without a plan, thinking to stop for the night wherever I get, but just after Mildura and Wentworth, I realise that on this last stretch of 260 km there is no other town or a village. Now I must get to Broken Hill. It’s a beautiful sunset, mind you - I stop for a photo and the night comes. It’s only 6pm, but the darkness makes me anxious. I panic a little and start to drive quicker. Up to 130k/h and like in a slow motion dream, I see a large heavy kangaroo getting up on the left and starting it’s gracious jumps across the road. It’s too late, I can’t stop - I can only swerve to the left, brushing the kangaroo’s tail. The Landie behaves admirably, staying on the road and stabilizing like there was no danger. I cannot say the same for myself. I am shaking, hands sweating, hearth pumping and with a new pain behind my eyes.

After 1200km I can understand the truckies, how hard their job must be, and now I have a new respect for them. But still there are 200km to go and I have to slow down, driving in the middle of the road, peeling my eyes open for the brown/grey shapes of dreaming kangaroos that might decide to jump in front of me. I see a few clever foxes, just looking at me when I pass, but no more kangaroos. There is also a massive bloody moon, which follows me on the right.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Can’t believe I am finally at Broken Hill after 16 hours of continuous driving. But there is no celebration, even though I feel enormously relieved - Broken Hill is deserted. I drive around and get in the first motel I see to ask for a room. Single for $115, the receptionist says. It seems expensive for this type of motel, but I don’t argue, warm bed and warm shower is what I need. I get the key for room 14 and drive around to find a petrol station to fill the tank for early start tomorrow.

At the petrol station there is another car with three aboriginal youths sitting stiff, while the fourth one is filling a 20l can. They are all hooded, dark and look dangerous. I stop in front of the diesel pump feeling very unsecure. I don’t want them to smell my fear - before getting out of the car, I put on my jacket with the hood on and try to look tough. The youths probably don’t see me and soon are gone, but the station’s attendant is very suspicious even though I pay cash. He follows me out, to make sure I get only one small bag of ice from the fridge (what I paid for) and keeps looking at me unsmiling, while I crash the ice in the box and then drive away.

Maybe I look strange (after driving 1400 km), because the bartender at a pub I enter to buy couple of beers also looks at me with suspicion. Two small beers for $12 are expensive, but again I don’t argue. On the way back to the motel I find a Japanese restaurant and buy some miso soup and beef teppanyaki. A full meal with steamed rice is only $12. And it is delicious…

My body falls asleep like a plank, but my mind continues to speed 130 km/h into the space.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Vesko on 17th Jul 2012 10:32 am. Edited 4 times in total

Post #148784 17th Jul 2012 10:01 am
garioch43

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

The car looks remarkably clean having been on such a long journey.

Did the locals lick it clean????

Do I hear banjo music???

Great shots for the photo competition!!! garioch43

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE - Santorini Black/Black Leather
2002 MGF 1.8i - British Racing Green/Cream Leather with loads of walnut and chrome bits

Post #148785 17th Jul 2012 10:15 am
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Oh my those pictures are special!! Would love to do a road trip like that

Post #148787 17th Jul 2012 10:24 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

a contender for the summer photo "sun set/rise" comp

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #148788 17th Jul 2012 10:38 am
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

That's a winner for the summer sunset! No chance of the sun showing its face here

Post #148789 17th Jul 2012 10:44 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Laughing

Post #148790 17th Jul 2012 10:46 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Hey Vesko, I would throw that GPS out if it has taken you through Hay to get to Broken Hill from Sydney. You travelled about 300km too far going that way. From Wellington you go through Dubbo (classic name Smile), Nyngan, Cobar, Wilcannia (watch yourself there) and Broken Hill. The highway is called the Barrier Highway. Keep the pics flowing Smile

Post #148835 17th Jul 2012 9:31 pm
mikehzz

Oh and one other thing, try not to drive at sunrise, sunset or night time. If you do, find a big truck to sit behind so they bump the kangaroos out of the way. The roos will make a mess of your nice car. They are nuts and you can't see them until it's too late.

Last edited by mikehzz on 17th Jul 2012 10:41 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #148838 17th Jul 2012 9:42 pm
Bugblatter

United Kingdom 

Great pics (and story)! 2013 RR Evoque Pure Tech
2012 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey - gone

Post #148839 17th Jul 2012 9:43 pm
Vesko

Garioch43, the car looks remarkably clean in the shots from the first day, but wait to see how it will look after the mud bath in a few days’ time Very Happy ;

Thank you landy19840 Smile ;

Npinks, unfortunately this photo doesn’t qualify for the summer photo "sun set/rise" comp, because it is a winter shot. Wink

Hey Mikehzz, I kind of knew that Garmin is pulling my leg. I knew that the Barrier Highway is shorter, but in the morning I felt strong, invincible and free and wanted to see more of this great country (not the same at the end of the day though).
After the near miss with the “nuts” kangaroo, I decided that whatever I do, I must be at my next camp place around 4.30pm to have plenty of time to set it up and to avoid any more heartbreaks (but amazing how stable the Landie is. Couple of gentle shakes after my violent swerve and it settled back on the road. I am impressed!).
Wow, Wilcannia – this is the second time I hear a warning about it. There is something there, like I felt a bit unsecure in Broken Hill, yea? Thanks - following a big heavy truck is a great idea, I’ll remember it.

Thank you Bugblatter, I will continue with the pics (and the story), I just have to find a bit of time.

Thank you guys for your patience and encouragement. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #148884 18th Jul 2012 10:42 am
mikehzz

I've never had a problem in Broken Hill. It is normally quite a nice town. Wilcannia looks like The Bronx with boarded up buildings and graffiti. Doesn't look healthy at all. It is probably the poorest town money wise out there and it is around 200kms from any other town.
In the Flinders, if you want a great photo opportunity then near the corner of Wilpena road and the road to Martin's Well there is a hill with a lookout over the Chace Ranges. It is the last stop on the Arkapena Scenic Adventure but you don't have to pay to get to it. Your obvious talent with a camera could do wonders there especially around sunset. It is an awesome view as is Brachina Gorge. A drive for 5-10 kms along the Martin's Well road also has great scenery. Happy snapping. Smile

Post #148896 18th Jul 2012 1:46 pm
Vesko

Day 2 Broken Hill to Rawnsley Park Station

Very strange morning! First I am happy the headache of yesterday is gone and my eyesight is not pulsating any more. I drink strong coffee, and then quickly pack my stuff from the motel room.

It’s a bright, wonderful morning. Broken Hill doesn’t look dark and scary, it’s quite pleasant actually. This is essentially a slowing down mining town, but they have invested in tourism, which is something I like. There are mining exhibits, renovated buildings from the old golden age of prosperity; there is also an imposing black hill with a massive rusting monument on the top celebrating the 800 or so poor miners who lost their life here…

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I enjoy my time in Broken Hill, but the open road is calling me again. With only 500 km to go, I am very relaxed. After yesterday’s 1400km, 500 seem a piece of cake. And the weather is brilliant. I set off to Peterborough and my soul is singing… until I pay closer attention to the controls. Suddenly the fuel gouge shows less than half empty, and the car computer confirms - range only 180km. But I filled it up last night, remember the dangerous aboriginal youths. Where has the diesel gone!? I am puzzled and stop to check the fuel tank underneath. There is no leak. I keep driving and consider the only explanation would be that during the night someone has drained 40l from my tank - the fuel cap is so easy to pull open… Not to worry, I tell myself, I will fill it up again with the next diesel pump opportunity. For now I drive and try to enjoy the unfamiliar surroundings. Soon I have to slow down to 70k, because there is a massive mining lorry, loaded on an equally massive truck. It takes the whole road and we are sentenced to shuffle behind it for the next 200km.

For a while this situation takes my mind away from the fuel mystery, but soon I become reckless and wander why the others in front of me don’t try to overtake the lorry? I wait for a wider part on the road and gingerly speed ahead with my tyres rumbling on the gravel. The guy riding the truck makes a bit of space and I am through and off again. The others continue to shuffle behind the lorry.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I reach Yunta, which has a nice petrol station with good price for the diesel (it’s nice in my opinion, because I see a beautiful girl, sitting in the café and watching me through the window with interest). I start to fill the tank and forget about the beautiful girl, because the pump stops only after some 10l. I am so surprised, that I hardly see her getting out, walking close to me and going to her car, (still checking me out with interest). So, no one has drained my tank during the night, my cheeks are burning with embarrassment that I imagined such a possibility. And the beautiful girl is gone…

But now I have more serious problem - the car computer doesn’t recognise that the tank is full, it insists I have only 300km range, it will stop the car if I reach it. I switch off the engine; I shake the car; start the engine again, but to no avail, the fuel indicator continues to show less than half full. I panic a little - what would happen around Lake Eyre if my extra 20l in the jerry are not enough. Peterborough has phone reception and I call Land Rover in Sydney. They make me wait, while I hear them discussing the problem. Finally they call back to inform me that my Landie is from a batch of imports with known computer problem, and I should take the car back as soon as possible for a software update… I am speechless, thinking this is the end of my Lake Eyre adventure, but at this very moment a miracle happens - the slim hand of the fuel indicator simply jumps back to FULL. My Lake Eyre adventure is not finished after all. I am so relieved!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Soon I get to Hawker. Because of the fruit fly quarantine in South Australia, I didn’t pack any fruit or vegetables, thinking I’ll buy some in Hawker. Yes, there is a shopping centre in town, and yes, I find a general store, but everything is so expensive. Tomatoes for $9.95! I buy a few and avoid the eyes of the lady shop keeper, who is embarrassed by my uttering that these must be the most expensive tomatoes in my life.

Then it’s easy, I drive a little more towards the beautiful mountains and find a large sign that says Rawnsley Park Station. Two nights for unpowered site in the caravan park is only $28. I choose a levelled place and set up my camp. Tonight I roast some pork chops, chicken wings and a couple of Italian sausages. I make a salad of fresh (expensive) tomatoes, cucumber and parsley dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. In addition I fry a handfull of potato chips and heat a can of beans on the warm BBQ. All of this while sipping a few small glasses of very strong liquor to counter the chilly night (-5°C). Everything tastes surprisingly good and the sky is full of stars. The alcohol hits me and I see the moon bright and shiny, but for me it’s time for bed. I have the tent pulled up, but I choose the car, wandering how would I feel. In the car I feel wonderful and fall asleep warm and comfortable and happy that I am in the beautiful Flinders Ranges. Well, just before I fall asleep, I have a fleeting thought about the beautiful girl from the café at Yunta today, wandering which bed is she warming tonight. Very brief. Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tomorrow I will explore the Flinders Ranges.

Last edited by Vesko on 19th Jul 2012 1:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #148993 19th Jul 2012 12:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>