Home > General > Thule roof bars vs Land Rover roof rails
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
OSHANDA

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue
Thule roof bars vs Land Rover roof rails

Hi,

I could use some information on using Land Rover roof rails with cross bars vs Thule cross bars for carrying a Thule roof pod.

I've had my FL2 SE TD for 3 months now and I'm planning to get a Thule roof pod to use on long trips with my family. I was planning to get the Land Rover roof rails and cross bars and fit the roof pod only when I needed it.

When I was talking to the Thule dealer today he told me that I didn't need to get the LR roof rails and cross bars and could buy the Thule roof cross bars instead as they would do everything I need.

The LR rails and bars look good but the Thule cross bars are cheaper and seem easy enough to install and remove when required.

I know there'll be plenty of extra noise when the roof pod is fitted but I only expect to use it about once a month. What I want to do is minimise the noise from the rails / bars when the pod is not fitted as I spend a fair amount of time on the road - I drive about 3,000 kilometres a month.

I've got a couple of questions that I would appreciate some feedback on.

1. I've seen on some other topics that there is noise from the LR roof rails. Is that still the case? Does it only apply to FL2s with sunroofs (mine has no sunroof)? How bad is it?

2. For those with the LR roof rails. Do you leave the cross bars on all the time when you're driving around or only use them when you're carrying something (I'm assuming they're removable).

3. For those with the Thule cross bars. How easy are they to install and remove?

Any constructive feedback gratefully received.

Cheers,

Darren Reflect on the past and plan for the future. But, above all - LIVE FOR THE MOMENT!!!

Post #11265 5th Dec 2007 11:23 am
npinks

United Kingdom 
Re: Thule roof bars vs Land Rover roof rails

OSHANDA wrote:
Hi,

1. I've seen on some other topics that there is noise from the LR roof rails. Is that still the case? Does it only apply to FL2s with sunroofs (mine has no sunroof)? How bad is it?

2. For those with the LR roof rails. Do you leave the cross bars on all the time when you're driving around or only use them when you're carrying something (I'm assuming they're removable).

3. For those with the Thule cross bars. How easy are they to install and remove?

Any constructive feedback gratefully received.

Cheers,

Darren

Hi Darren

I have a FL2 with sunroof with the Thule Roof bars.

They are very easy to install, once you have set them up (following instructions that come with them which takes 10 mins) the bars take me about 10 minutes to fit to the car.

Thats the bars positioned, tightened and driving Very Happy though you would then have to attach the roof pod (box)

I also looked at the LR rails and then purchase of the cross bars and this worked out to be about 3 or 4 times more expensive than the thule

I do think the LR rails that are perminately fitted (front to rear with a cross bar at the rear (standard) do make the FL2 look nice. but you would need to attach the load carrying cross bars each time ( I have had a a set of simular type bars on a previous car and these were easy to fit aswell)

May opinion is the Thule cost me £100GBP and i only need them like your self once or twice a year to carry a snowboard or long pieces of wood that wouldn't fit in my car.

They do look like they are perched on top of the car, were as the LR once give a more stream like look, but once you strap a roof pod(box) this makes no diferrence.

If money was not a problem I would have opted for the LR set up, but spending £400+GBP on something that would be used once or twice a year wasn't worth it. Though I would have the front to rear rails Thumbs Up

On to wind noise

I find the Thule (with standard bars, not Aero Bars) do effect the noise level, you notice it more when you first put them on, but then it becomes just another road noise after a short while, though this is with standard bar, and i was told the more expensive Aero bars reduce the noise dB. But then the roof pod(box) would increase the noise again.

The noise been refered to on the LR roof rails is mainly without the cross bars been fitted, some people/garages fitted LR rails to car with sunroofs that where meant to be for the FL2 without sunroofs and this meant the cross bar at the rear made lots of noise. Once they replaced the bars with the correct once i beleive it correct the problem. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #11269 5th Dec 2007 1:36 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

rchrdleigh, put some pictures of the same set up i bought, it help me choose

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10507

and Netwisdom has a picture of Thules Cross bars for the LR rails

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=78 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #11270 5th Dec 2007 1:42 pm
jatko

Slovakia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

LR roof rails re permamenty fitted...and ve no probs....only hearing noise when driving over 160 kmh..... 2,2 TD4 HSE Auto
Rimini red/Ebony

Post #11279 5th Dec 2007 5:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The roof rails are perminantly fitted (2x front to back - 1x left to right which is perminantley fitted)

but the 2 x cross bars are removeable as these are the weight bearing bars you need to attach the roof box or bike carriers etc. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #11281 5th Dec 2007 5:35 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

If you go for the LR cross bars (side to side) check that your Thule pod fixings or whatever will fit the LR cross bars.

Their cross section is quite large. My Thule cycle carriers would not fit the LR cross bars.

I finished up with LR roof rails (front to back) and Thule cross bars.

Post #11283 5th Dec 2007 6:11 pm
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have LR roof rails ( LR007220 ) and sunroof.
1: I hear noice when driving above 80 km/h, sometimes at lower speed due to wind conditions.
2 : I do leave the LR crossbars ( LR002417 ) on because the noice seems to be diminished with them on.
And it looks better.
QUOTE npinks : "1x left to right witch is perminantly fitted".
I say Freel2 the only car I know of with this noicemaker.
3 : No comments

bjartin LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #11299 5th Dec 2007 9:32 pm
garethh

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I have the FL roof rails (sunroof version) with one permanently fixed cross rail. I also have Thule aero bars with the appropriate fixing kit (755?) and between 1 and 3 Thule Tour cycle carriers. I already had the Thule kit so didn't consider the LR options.

With just the roof rails I don't see any increase in noise or decrease in fuel economy. With the Thule aero bars and 1 cycle carrier fitted there is a small increase in noise (faint whistling) and a marked drop-off in economy (around 2mpg less). When I originally fitted the Thule bars I did not install the rubber seal along the top - without this the extra noise was horrendous.

I am still thinking about ways to get the Thule rails more streamlined to improve mpg - wax polish maybe? Wink

Gareth

Post #11329 6th Dec 2007 2:32 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Same here Garethh, I have the quick release foot pack 775 with aerobars as the old aerobars from the FL1 were about 100mm too narrow!!!!!! Wiyh one bike rack on the roof quite a steady whistle at speed worst at 30-50mph Whistle Whistle

Post #11362 7th Dec 2007 1:39 pm
garethh

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

It's probably the 775 kit I've got. I now have three different foot packs from my last three cars Smile

Post #11364 7th Dec 2007 2:02 pm
Roverdude

2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Baltic Blue

I have the LR roof rails but no cross bars (only the one that came w/ the rails). A bit more noise than non-railed but nothing major. I use YAKIMA crossbars for my windsurfing kit and bikes. They work brilliantly and go on and off in just a few minutes.

Post #11378 7th Dec 2007 9:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1