Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Charging for an estimate?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Past master

United Kingdom 
Charging for an estimate?!

A friend recently took her Golf to a VW dealer for a bodywork estimate (minor damage to front grille). They took a few photos and then gave her a piece of paper which turns out to be a bill for £100+ just for doing the estimate. I think they are having a larf. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Post #144476 29th May 2012 11:39 pm
bbjoca

Sweden 

Yes, indeed I have; however there's usually some more work involved, like dismantling stuff...
And this is in Sweden. For a few photos to make an estimate for, say, insurance reasons, there has never been any charges to me.... It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #144477 30th May 2012 4:49 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Unbe Censored lievable Shocked Shocked

Have they said they would refund the money if she gets the work done there?

Post #144480 30th May 2012 7:02 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Usually they would lay out the charges prior to doing the work in getting an estimate

I have never had to myself, but would have thought since they know you need to obtain a couple of quotes its to pay for their time, inspecting, finding parts and working out labour rates and then printing it out, if they don't get the job they have lost that time, but if they do I would up have thought the cost of this would be offset Idea

Post #144481 30th May 2012 7:05 am
peteoheat

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Usually when you drop off a car at a main dealers you sign an authorisation for them to carry out the work detailed on the authorisation. I think that this may be what gives them the grounds to charge for that work? Wonder if your friend signed one of these? 09 FL2 Santorini Black GS - Privacy glass, enormous fixed towbar!
57 FL2 Stornoway Grey HSE - Privacy glass - gone

Post #144483 30th May 2012 7:22 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

i would not pay it and walk away i would also phone vw up and ask if this is the norm as it would put me off using that main dealer again, like in any part of the motor trade if you are not competitive you need to know why so it can be rectified dont let potential customers carry that cost Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #144487 30th May 2012 8:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Can you get a quote of how much the quote will cost you before they do it? Shocked

Post #144526 30th May 2012 5:04 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

That's sort of the point. I wouldn't have dreamt of asking, but I will in future. Interestingly, they didn't ask for money at the time, just gave her the bill, so maybe they're just expecting to soak the insurance company for it.

Post #144535 30th May 2012 8:08 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

I was given a bill for an estimate once, it was for a horse trailer. I told dealer I would not pay it before getting advice from insurance company - he wasnt pleased but he could not do anything. Insurance company told me that I was not to pay it and because the repairer had not told me that there was a charge for an estimate then they could not do anything about it.

Post #144559 30th May 2012 11:47 pm
Lee Howe

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Narvik Black

My Dad just bought a Disco 3 a couple of weeks ago from a national car dealership that also owns a Landrover dealership as part of their group.

When he test drove the car there was a "handbrake assist" warning light on and he was told that this would be fixed when he bought the car. He bought it and took out an extended warranty. When he picked the car up the light was off but a day later it came back on.

He took it back to the garage and they said it would probabily be covered under the warranty, however they would have to use a diagnostics machine to ensure that the correct problem was identified and the use of the machine isnt covered under warranty so they need £80 to look at it!!!

Post #144576 31st May 2012 9:32 am
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

Lee Howe wrote:
My Dad just bought a Disco 3 a couple of weeks ago from a national car dealership that also owns a Landrover dealership as part of their group.

When he test drove the car there was a "handbrake assist" warning light on and he was told that this would be fixed when he bought the car. He bought it and took out an extended warranty. When he picked the car up the light was off but a day later it came back on.

He took it back to the garage and they said it would probabily be covered under the warranty, however they would have to use a diagnostics machine to ensure that the correct problem was identified and the use of the machine isnt covered under warranty so they need £80 to look at it!!!

Would that be Stratstone? (just so that I can make sure to avoid them Whistle ) Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #144590 31st May 2012 12:12 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Surely nothing to do with the warranty. The car is not "fit for purpose". They fix it or give you your money back. He should contact local Trading Standards at once.

Post #144604 31st May 2012 3:35 pm
Lee Howe

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Narvik Black

BrianAbbott wrote:
Lee Howe wrote:

Would that be Stratstone? (just so that I can make sure to avoid them Whistle )

Brian,
Yeah the car came from Evans Hallshaw who are in the same group as Stradstone. To be fair to Stradstone though they said if he had bought the car directly off them they would of fixed it free of charge, so they have maybe been told to charge for a diagnostics check? Not sure though as I never take my car to them.

He's got the car back now after 3 weeks at their garage and they have replaced the Fly wheel for free, this seems to have worked so fingers crossed.

Post #144811 3rd Jun 2012 1:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1