Home > General > 2007 LR Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 - Advice needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
waxhead

Norway 
2007 LR Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 - Advice needed

Hi,

First of all I apologize if I am repeating questions already answered, but I am considering purchasing a freelander 2 2.2 TD4 and as I know very little about freelanders I need some advice.

As far as I know the model is called freelander 2 but on all the youtube videos I can find I only see freelander 2's with a "4x4 mode selector" knob. The model I am considering for is a 6 speed manual transmission and it has the hill decent button but not this selector knob.

I do currently have a Subaru Forester 2005 model AWD that have taken me ...well to be honest almost everywhere. I was hoping that some with some insight could tell me a little bit more about the 4wd (awd?) system on the freelander 2 and how that differs from the symertical awd system subaru has. Is the selector knob really necessary and if it's not there how will it distribute power?!

Also the car I am considering have only 71'000km on it's wheels but already there is a quite a list of things that have been fixed. Parking brake, Loose battery, Electronics (error codes, unknown), Brake discs (left forward, right rear). I am actually surprised that the brake disc already need to be changed so soon. Is this a weakness for this kind of car?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post #142986 14th May 2012 10:54 pm
ad210358

England 

Looks as though you are looking at the pre MY11 entry level model, as they did not have the Terrain Responce fitted, from MY11 models onward Terrain Responce was fitted to all models in the UK

Post #142989 14th May 2012 11:18 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

sounds like the 2wd version ? When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #142996 15th May 2012 7:19 am
bbjoca

Sweden 

The biggest difference is that Subaru has a symmetrical 4x4, i.e. traction on all wheels always (as you say).
This is not the case with the Freelander 2, which has a Haldex in the cases it has a 4-wheel drive. I think the 2007's all have them. The haldex is quick-responding, so I would say that there is a good possibility to go with the Freelander wherever your Subaru went, without me knowing where you actually did go with the Subaru. Heavy off-roading is perhaps not the forte of the Freelander without TR. But in snowy conditions such as in Norway (and Sweden) I think it will be OK. Perhaps someone has a differing option with the experience of the TR-less Freelie?

The terrain response will control a lot of things that you as a driver otherwise have to, like the sensitivity of the traction, the throttle response etc (a lot more, but I don't know it all). It will distribute the power between the front and rear wheels according to the chosen setting, and also help brake the car in downhill. In the absence of a low gear this is a quite good help.

Cheers
J It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #143000 15th May 2012 8:07 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

chrisdeeming wrote:
sounds like the 2wd version ?

Didnt get released till last year so it will be the standard entry level version

Post #143003 15th May 2012 8:19 am
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

I know a farmer with a UK 2007 S model (withouth TR knob) - he is off road every day and has only been stuck a couple of times - both due to insufficient ground clearance. Mind you, he does have good off-road tyres !!

As far as brake discs are concerned, in my experience 71,000 KM is the ' going rate ' for front discs on every car I have owned and a little early for rear discs. However, the FL2 is a heavy vehicle and brake disc wear depends a lot on how the car is driven and loaded. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #143005 15th May 2012 8:45 am
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

My old car (57/2008) had done 68K miles at the last MoT test and all 4 disks picked up as thin. I only had it for 16 months so I dont know how it had been treated before.

Paddock supplied a full set of 4 disks and new pads all round for £154, LR want over £500! The only other thing needed was a tube of thread lock for the caliper bolts.

Stopping was stunning after that, even the handbrake worked, for a while Whistle Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #143138 15th May 2012 10:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1