Home > Technical > Turnover but not starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Blitzer

Turnover but not starting

Car has been fine, well since I had the clutch replaced Censored

2007 FL2 HSE

Off to work this morning, fuel warning light on, filled her up with diesel. Droove to work around 15 miles, parked, all fine. Came out an hour later, fob in, clutch down, starter spins, sounds like it's started and idling for a sec, then the starter kicks in again, keeps doing this. Wont start or idle at all.

Didn't see any warning lights on dash

Any suggestions while I wait for recovery to pick it up from work and bring it home Big Cry

Post #142558 11th May 2012 12:46 pm
taztastic

England 

It may sound silly, but was it definately Diesel you put in, although I think over 15 miles you would have seen a change in the way it ran? Check the receipt or smell the fuel filler?
Around a year or so ago there was a garage (tesco) were the tanks had been misfilled, certainly worth a check.

Post #142559 11th May 2012 1:02 pm
Blitzer

taztastic wrote:
It may sound silly, but was it definately Diesel you put in, although I think over 15 miles you would have seen a change in the way it ran? Check the receipt or smell the fuel filler?
Around a year or so ago there was a garage (tesco) were the tanks had been misfilled, certainly worth a check.

It was definitely a diesel nozzle, although I know it's been done in the past. Same garage as I always use too.

Mate checked the fuel pump below the rear seat behind driver, he says it's showing signs of activity when I try to start.

Recovery cehicle on its way, so it'll be a driveway job for me.

I bought one of the ECU-Pro PC-1 devices off fleabay a couple of years ago to check my Daughters car, any idea if it will work with my FL2, so that I can at least try and get some diag codes.

Post #142562 11th May 2012 1:14 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Weve had an awful lot of rain recently, wouldnt surprise me if some garage fuel tanks didnt get a little in them so maybe yours is having a go at running on water?

Post #142591 11th May 2012 6:10 pm
Blitzer

Mona Geeza wrote:
Weve had an awful lot of rain recently, wouldnt surprise me if some garage fuel tanks didnt get a little in them so maybe yours is having a go at running on water?

Not over here in N.I.

Mate checked - no petrol evident.

I tried the OBD2/EOBD device I have, software didn't communicate, was a really old version that was used for a Renault. Any guidance on what I can use to try and read the fault codes, or advoce on things to check.

Post #142596 11th May 2012 7:02 pm
Blitzer

Was out of the country all week so just back, got a guy to hook up a diag, he says it's down to "bad fuel". The garage I sue does home heating oil at the pumps now, I haven't had a chance to check but I don't think I used the HHO pump, so there is a chance that the driver has filled the diesel pump with HHO.

What is the easiest way to check if it's diesel or HHO in my tank.

If it is HHO, what is the best way to resolve.

Post #143472 18th May 2012 9:32 pm
Blitzer

I need to get a sample of fuel from the tank for testing, whats the easiest way to do it.

Post #143638 21st May 2012 9:42 am
Blitzer

I managed to get the sample by syphoning using a small bore tube on the inlet to the fuel filter. Initial indications are the fuel is fine, any guidance on next steps would be great.

Post #143645 21st May 2012 3:44 pm
Blitzer

Fuel test came back all good.

Had a try with easy start and a spare battery, it tried real hard but wouldn't start, There was some air evident in the fuel line after I syphoned some out, that has now gone.

Still none the wiser ....

Post #143667 21st May 2012 7:08 pm
ad210358

England 

Crankshaft sensor Question

Post #143668 21st May 2012 7:37 pm
Blitzer

ad210358 wrote:
Crankshaft sensor Question

Thanks for the reply, plenty of viewers but few responses Crying or Very sad

I would have expected it to appear the diagnostics, but the guy said it was poor fuel. Which has now been tested and confirmed all clear.

I wasn't around when he did the test, and he didn't leave me a copy of the results, so he is coming back tomorrow to re-read and provide the information to me.

The only error that is appearing on the dash that I have seen is "HDC fault" hope that means something to someone on here

Post #143672 21st May 2012 8:41 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Experience has shown that a spurious "HDC Fault" on start up is due to insufficient power getting to the ECU. Are you really certain that the spare battery you used was well up to scratch?

I would want to try it with a known good battery having checked all the connections and earths.

Crankshaft Position Sensors are generally reliable I would still not rule out a duff or disconnected one. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #143678 21st May 2012 8:55 pm
Blitzer

JST wrote:
Experience has shown that a spurious "HDC Fault" on start up is due to insufficient power getting to the ECU. Are you really certain that the spare battery you used was well up to scratch?

I would want to try it with a known good battery having checked all the connections and earths.

Crankshaft Position Sensors are generally reliable I would still not rule out a duff or disconnected one.

That fault makes sense then, as we had tried quite a few times to start the car before the error appeared.

Whats bugging me is the car was working fine, I fill her up, drive around 15 miles, park, go to drive again later and it simply wouldn't start. I'm hoping that I see the diag codes tomorrow and its something meaningful, and that he hasn't simply picked the last error.

I'd love to be able to read the codes myself, but the ECU-Pro unit I got doesn't have any software that reads the FL2

Post #143699 21st May 2012 10:36 pm
Blitzer

Codes re-read:

P0188 Fule temp sesnor A circuit high input
P02E8
P02E4
P02E5

Any info appreciated

Post #143760 22nd May 2012 4:34 pm
ad210358

England 

Guessing here but check the throttle box, the last three codes all relate to Air Intake Flow.

Post #143766 22nd May 2012 5:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>