Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > MY11 TD4 slow on first gear and oil filter...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
menir1

Portugal 2011 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
MY11 TD4 slow on first gear and oil filter...

Hello everyone
I'm owner of a Free TD4 MY11 (manual box) that runs in Portugal, despite the national crises Smile
Yesterday I took the car to a local dealer for the first service (one year first than 26000 km).
Strangely, the guys didn't change the oil filter! Is that possible? They change the oil and not the filter? That's the first time and the first vehicle that I see with that "philosophy".
Second thing, and main problem.
Since the begging that I notice that the car when moves from still, in first gear, feels like a kind of a "hole" and a slow response; it seems that it "dies" for a second/two and than goes; for compensate the situation I need to accelerate strong and leave the gear pedal to much on the top; obviously that I'm afraid to burn the clutch! Could this be a bug on the engine electronic management or something like that. The thing get worst if I'm trying to go up on a road (like moving (rise) from a traffic light).
Can some one give me a help?
Thanks
Best Regards
Nuno
(Portugal)

Post #142411 10th May 2012 2:36 am
EYorkshire

Hi Nuno, and they are taking some of your Publics Holidays away Shocked
anyway, no matter where, an oil change should always be with an oil filter change. During those 26000km the filter has retained all contaminants during this time and definitely should have been changed.
Not sure if you are talking of the hesitant 'take off' when starting to move off but threads on here have talked about it being due to the latest emissions 5 control (I see your car is a MY11), it is software built in and cannot be altered as it is.

Post #142414 10th May 2012 7:04 am
athelstan

Greetings menir1
At the first annual service (or 24k kms / 15k mls) for all models in EU markets, what LR call a service type "A" (thereafter every alternative year i.e 3rd 5th 7th etc) the Engine Oil must be replaced along with the Engine Oil Filter, and, the Pollen Filter. Banging Head

LR's own official "Maintenance Check Sheet" document number: JLR 1228 10_3E lists all the 48 points on the service "A" or "B" that require checking or changing or adjustment. On this document it specifically identifies what should be done and when in years or distance travelled. (B being the intermittent years or kms/mls whichever comes soonest i.e Yr 2, 4 , 6 etc.) Rolling Eyes

Send me a PM with your email address, and I'll send to you the LR's official "Maintenance Check Sheet" Razz

With reference to your manual gear change and 1st gear. You must appreciate that the FL2 is a heavy vehicle compared with your average family saloon car. It is predisposed to be slow on take off in first gear until the turbo kicks in as the engine revolutions exceed circa 1,400+ rpm. Flooring the accelerator from a standing start will induce a temporary turbo lag i.e., it dies as you describe. Her Ladyship's FL2 does this if you behave like a rally driver at the traffic lights, and has done so since the first day on the road. It has now coverage 45k kms. Adopt your driving style - I know you Portugese - racing away from the toll booths on the A1 or on the hilly streets of Porto Shocked Slowly and gently does it and you'll get used to the transmissions response to first gear. And don't ride that clutch - engage and let go. Thumbs Up

Post #142417 10th May 2012 7:10 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Mines a 2010 stop start model, and when it went in for a service they gave me a brand new 2012, in comparison to mine that was as flat as a fart upon take off, then good once into second gear, whereas mine is very good from the word go, glad to get mine back, it certainly better than the new one, and certainly didnt encourage me to go and get the latest model to replace mine yet.

Post #142443 10th May 2012 3:23 pm
menir1

Portugal 2011 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Me again :9

Hello dear friends
EYorkshire, athelstan and Mona Geeza
Thanks for the quick and positive responses Smile
EYorkshire talk about the EURO 5 restriction; could it be? can I change that? It seems that no for now Sad
athelstan: thanks for the precise and very cool post. I know the Free is a heavy machine; but when compared with as all the previous "real 4X4" that I had, and the family, like Toyota Land Cruiser 3.0, Nissan Navara Lux, Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5, first, second and III generation of LR Discovery, this one still on the family with 310.000 km, the Free is dangerously slow moving from stop; so terrible that when I try to enter on a road, from a cross, it seems dead! with so much torque on the engine is very strange; it seems like a Range Rover DSE from 1998 (BMW 6 cylinder engine) that I drove, that as a similar behavior, but in this case with lack of torque for such a "whale" Smile.
Another strange thing is the noise and kind of "cachunk" sound that I ear when moving from 1 to 2 gear in a certain RPM value (around 2000/2100); I think this is connected with the transmission system that uses front and rear traction (50% to both) on first gear for anti spinning in wet conditions; than it passes something like 90 front and 10 rear until 6 speed. Am I right or not? Could be this or other "terrible" thing ?
The experience described by Mona Geeza is very interesting, because he feels this situation compared with the 2010 version of his Free.
I'm becoming mad about this lowliness that can be really dangerous.
Thanks again for all the kindness.
Best from Lusitania Smile
Nuno

Post #142503 11th May 2012 12:56 am
athelstan

Nuno
Ist Gear Take-Off
If, in the calm of an analytical objective review, the situation is as bad as you report in your last post then I would have thought that any competent motor engineer would instantly recognise any malfunction even if the abnormality exists in all or one of the following components: engine, fuel, clutch, turbo, or the gear box itself.

Doing a precise remote diagnosis over the web is a pure guessing game, so my advice would be to go immediately to a competent motor engineer. I wish your FL2 a speedy recovery from its critical illness.

Post #142509 11th May 2012 6:57 am
EYorkshire

Nuno, you may or may not have read this thread, some interesting views on its cause http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic11964.html

Post #142510 11th May 2012 7:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1