« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Towbar Bike Rack help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black
Towbar Bike Rack help please

Resurrecting an old post by Jimmy in Denmark.......

"Hi,
Anyone had any experience with the Landrover accessory bicycle rack (STC 7929) - that fits onto the
"fixed height tow bar / bolt on tow bar" (LR002738) ?
(It doesn't fit onto the towing ball with friction - but it fits directly into a separate holding plate, that is attached to the tow bar). "

I am also looking for a 2 bike rack and would ideally like a towbar mounted solution but one that keeps the towbar free but a rack that also tilts to allow access to the boot.

I can't seem to find a full description of LR STR 7929 - only the bare facts seem to be available

Does anyone have any information or alternative solutions - I'm not keen on putting the bikes on the roof - not as fit as I used to be! Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #141826 4th May 2012 9:45 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My Thule 2(3) bike rack tilts, but uses the ball so not available for other uses.

Post #141830 4th May 2012 10:24 am
The Road Toad

Ref: SimonB
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, have seen that model and may have to go down that route and put the bikes in the, wait for it, caravan, when towing.
I see that it attaches to the towball - is it stable? Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #141831 4th May 2012 11:13 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It seems to be very stable, I was sceptical at first given the single attachment point, but if you tension the lever enough it hardly moves when fixed. I have only done a few short journeys with it though, nothing like the miles with the bikes on roof mounted carriers (not with the FL2). Tilt access definitely worth it though, although perhaps less of an issue with the FL2 where boot access from the back seats is not that much of a problem.

Post #141832 4th May 2012 11:41 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 
Re: Towbar Bike Rack help please

The Road Toad wrote:
Resurrecting an old post by Jimmy in Denmark.......

"Hi,
Anyone had any experience with the Landrover accessory bicycle rack (STC 7929) - that fits onto the
"fixed height tow bar / bolt on tow bar" (LR002738) ?
(It doesn't fit onto the towing ball with friction - but it fits directly into a separate holding plate, that is attached to the tow bar). "

I am also looking for a 2 bike rack and would ideally like a towbar mounted solution but one that keeps the towbar free but a rack that also tilts to allow access to the boot.

I can't seem to find a full description of LR STR 7929 - only the bare facts seem to be available

Does anyone have any information or alternative solutions - I'm not keen on putting the bikes on the roof - not as fit as I used to be!

I have the LR rack that is on my fixed towbar, we manage to get 3 large bikes on it - just. very solid, only down point, you cannot open the boot Smile 

Post #141836 4th May 2012 12:36 pm
athelstan

You could contact the OEM manufacturer -Breed Group - to ask if they would make you one that will carry 3 or 4 bikes instead of what it was originally designed for - 2 Bikes. And, if they could design one that tilted e.g. as per the Thule, Witter, and others.

Suggest to them that they could offer such a "new tilting" to the members of FreeL2 art a "Group Discount". If it fitted the detachable tow bar then I for one would be interested subject to design, quality and price Smile

http://www.breedgroup.com/prod-automotive.htm

Post #141839 4th May 2012 1:03 pm
peteoheat

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
MaxxRaxx

I use a MaxxRaxx on my FL2.

http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/home.html

It's a very flexible solution as each bike sits in it's own cradle and you can vary the number of cradles on the bar. So it can be a 1,2,3 or 4 bike rack.

Also has a couple of nice security features as the rack itself padlocks onto the towbar fixture and the rack has an integrated security cable that loops around your bikes and padlocks back onto the support bar.

Post #141844 4th May 2012 1:30 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Contact Witter, Their Publicity Company phoned me for information about exhibiting at The Cheshire Show as they are developing exactly what you require.

Bill.

PS I run a week long caravan rally in conjunction with the show so if you are interested, go to www.cheshirecountyshow.org.uk Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #141852 4th May 2012 2:00 pm
chapsworth

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Baltic Blue

+1 for the maxxraxx. Very solid piece of kit and I've used it on my Disco, FL1 and 2.

Takes 4 bikes, I think it may take 5. Tilts to allow access to the boot.

It's only a small padlock that secures it to the car which I've been meaning to upgrade. A hammer and chisel would break it.

I also had the LR one that I never used because of the lack of flexibility.

Worth checking out their website.

Post #141889 4th May 2012 5:36 pm
The Road Toad

Thanks for all the replies - I am talking to the man from Tow Equippe tomorrow and will be asking him about the Mont Blanc Freeball Towbar Mounted 3 cycle bike carrier which tilts and leaves the tow ball free and is only £90! Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #142086 6th May 2012 9:42 pm
The Road Toad

Have gone with the Mont Blanc Freeball rack, plus fixed flange towbar, single 13 pin electrics and fitting all for only £287 from Towequipe.
Very pleased and no interference with rear parking sensors.
Only negative is that there is no locking mechanism on the bike rack to lock it to the towbar but I think it will be fairly easy to come up with a simple solution.
Bike rack is excellent with adjustable mounts that mean that I do not have to purchase a false cross bar in order to load my wife's bike.
This is the second time I have used Towequipe (previously they updated the electrics on my old Defender) and their fitters are excellent. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #143089 15th May 2012 8:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1