« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Spotted > Supercharged FR2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Supercharged FR2?

I was in Sutton In Ashfield last night and parked near a FR2 but this had a superchaged badge on the boot,was there ever a supercharged version or had they just stuck on the badge.

Post #172743 22nd Feb 2013 10:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

No never a supercharged

So they were either very sad, or had been tinkering under the bonnet if that is possible Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #172744 22nd Feb 2013 10:36 pm
ad210358

England 

Just sad I reckon Whistle

Post #172751 22nd Feb 2013 11:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

That's my guess, very very sad

It's sad to put a SC badge on a RRS that's just normal 2.7 TDV6 but to put one on a car that doesn't have it in its range at all is just stupid Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #172755 22nd Feb 2013 11:44 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
190 SD4 engine upgrade

If any of you are looking for a power upgrade; whilst I cannot comment on the supercharger what I do have is parts to upgrade your 150 / 160 to the 190 spec inc the bigger turbo; please take a look in the forum for sale section.
I wonder if the supercharger man has told his insurance that he's modified his car with uprated stick on badges?
Question for the techie readers, where does the supercharger find its application? That or a Turbo are both fundentally compressors to push a larger amount of air in the combustion process? 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #172767 23rd Feb 2013 8:21 am
fisha

How do you mean application ?

Supercharges were the early form of pushing more into the engine ( think Bentley blowers etc ) driven directly from the crank and an aircraft engine development I think.

Turbos were later and first found car engines in the 50s/60s I think ... I think it was the very hi rpm of a turbo vane that had to be overcome for mainstream applications.

Post #172786 23rd Feb 2013 11:35 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Supercharger will give boost at lower rpm,good for a race car needing power out of the bends. trouble is they need very fine engineering tolerance and wear out. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #172788 23rd Feb 2013 11:39 am
EYorkshire

Turbo charger, the turbine driven by exhaust gasses and its this that creates the 'delay' waiting for it to spool up.
Supercharger driven by belt direct off the engine, compresses the air at lower revs and less delay.

But the Turbo charger is more efficient as it uses waste gas with no loss from being driven by belt etc.

Post #172802 23rd Feb 2013 12:19 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Re: Supercharged FR2?

archie98 wrote:
I was in Sutton In Ashfield last night and parked near a FR2 but this had a superchaged badge on the boot,was there ever a supercharged version or had they just stuck on the badge.

Was it black by any chance? I think I might know who it is if it was black. Did you get the year from the reg? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #173202 25th Feb 2013 11:32 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Supercharging is just as reliable as turbo charging. The days of early worn out superchargers is long gone.

The FL2 3.2 engine can be supercharged, but it is all down to finding an inlet manifold to mount the charger and plumbing it is and mapping it.

Turbo charging is a little easier. Simply find a 3.0 T6 engine from Volvo XC90 and remove all the Volvo ancillaries. It drops straight into the FL2 on the same engine mounts as it is essentially the same engine. Then re-build the FL2 ancillaries on the turbo engine. The exhaust down pipe will need to be modified for the FL2 system, but this isn't hard. Then plumb in an intercooler, which is easy as the FL2 is designed to run one anyway.

You can use FL2 management as per the original car, but you will need to plumb in an external boost controller. Then find someone who can map it. The FL2 3.2 ECU can be mapped to handle forced induction.

300bhp as standard then! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #175874 17th Mar 2013 11:20 am
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

No Doc it was not black and sorry did not look at the reg but if I see it again I will note what is is.

Post #175921 17th Mar 2013 3:17 pm
vodkachaser

United Kingdom 

I spotted a white Evoque a couple of weeks ago, the owner had changed the lettering on the front edge of the bonnet to say 'Individual' Laughing FL2 HSE SD4, black, privacy glass, spoiler, 19' diamond cut alloys.

Post #175930 17th Mar 2013 4:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1