« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Sat Nav reset
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jubilado Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Sat Nav reset

Tried searching the forum - no luck - everyone else seems to have got it sorted through patience and cleaning the disc.

I updated my 2007/8 sat nav discs - genuine replacement to 2011/12 - followed advice from the forum. Update commenced - blank screen many times but nav button still greyed out. Went on run for over 2 hours - still no completion. Settings button works fine throughout.

Disconnected the battery for 30 mins - sat nav seems to be stuck where it was before I disconnected it. Tried the old disc back in - no change - seems frozen in a loop of grey button/blank screen then grey button again.

It's sittiing on the drive now just going through the routine - must be up to around 5 hours of attempting to update over several days.

Had the disc out and cleaned it - ensured the lock slider is over(although that looks like a dust cover for the dvd slot). Disc is in perfect condition, and is correct disc set for my car. Tried another disc from the set - no change.

Any suggestions anyone? Can the system be hard reset? Mine: Freelander 2 HSE, 08. Santorini Black/Alpaca Leather, privacy glass, side steps.

Post #141452 30th Apr 2012 10:41 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

this has been covered in the past, it sounds like it sometimes takes time to do, especially if its a few years between updates

Post #141454 30th Apr 2012 11:43 am
Jubilado Boy

Thanks npinks - hoped it may just be taking its time. I'm prone to impatience but think there must be something preventing it from completing. Going for the world record in time taken to update the maps - been sitting on the drive for 5 hours - had to plug the charger/conditioner in to stop the battery going flat- still no sign of it completing its update.

Any suggestions? Can't believe it can take this long to update. Mine: Freelander 2 HSE, 08. Santorini Black/Alpaca Leather, privacy glass, side steps.

Post #141480 30th Apr 2012 6:03 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Sorry, never happened to me so can't be anymore help

2 hour drive and 5 on the drive is a little long Confused

Post #141483 30th Apr 2012 6:06 pm
God'sowncounty

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Hi

1- Make sure you stick with the new disk. It won't complete with the old disk as I previously discovered.

2- Ignition needs to be on but no requirement for engine to be running. Connect a battery charger to prevent the 'low batt' warning which on mine cut power to the sat nav and so interrupted the upgrade process.

I had a similar problem as you describe and I reverted back to the original disk after a couple of hours. My sat nav was out of action for 3 months but recovered itself when I disconnected the battery (reset) and put the new disk back in. Once the system has stopped rebooting press the nav button (which may still look depressed Sad or should that be de-pressed) and all should be well. Smile

Post #141515 30th Apr 2012 8:50 pm
GalleyTeapot

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Santorini Black

Upgraded from 2007 to 2011/2012 in my '07 FL2 HSE using genuine disc, process took about 15 mins. When I put the disc in it said there was upgraded firmware and to press continue. In no time at all, including several automatic sat nav restarts the job was done. Have no idea why some folk are saying it takes hours, maybe the lens on the dvd drive needs a clean?

Post #142020 6th May 2012 10:40 am
Jubilado Boy

Most users seem to have no problem - occasionally real problems. I seem to have the record - still updating over a week now. I have left it on the driveway with satnav on for 4 or 5 hours at a time on several occasions and been on several long journeys - still cycling through the blank screen, restart and greyed out nav button routine. Disc been out and cleaned 3 times now.

Had the battery disconnected, did the connecting battery cables together to re-boot the ECU's, also no effect other than having to reset the window/sunroof controls and clock after each battery disconnect!

Still don't know how to completely reset the satnav system to force a fresh install - even after battery reset it resumes the cycle where it left off.

Still - don't often need the nav locally and gives me something to look forward to when it finally completes. Mine: Freelander 2 HSE, 08. Santorini Black/Alpaca Leather, privacy glass, side steps.

Post #142022 6th May 2012 10:49 am
ad210358

England 

Mine did this once, put the old disc back in, the screen went blank, thought that's Censored it, left it overnight, went out in the morning, normal screen, put the update disc in, forty minutes later all done, worth a go Thumbs Up

Post #142031 6th May 2012 12:32 pm
Jubilado Boy

Thanks for that - trying it right now - will let it run for a few hours with ignition on - then leave it alone, everything off overnight (too risky to leave key in) and see what happens. Mine: Freelander 2 HSE, 08. Santorini Black/Alpaca Leather, privacy glass, side steps.

Post #142034 6th May 2012 1:41 pm
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Seems like a LOT of faff to get a routing update. Something basically not right here... ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #142039 6th May 2012 2:05 pm
Jubilado Boy

I agree. The system is pretty similar to the one in my previous car -Jaguar XJ - 07 model which updated straightaway in around 20 mins. I think the DVD based system is at the end of its useful life anyway and hopefully internet enabled or at least usb capable systems with hard drives will bring an end to this expensive and almost laughable process in what are pretty high spec luxurious cars in most other respects.

No idea what the problem with my system is. Will eventually work - or I'll take to my local JLR dealer who is excellent, and try to persuade them to look at it under its extended LR warranty.(excluded according to the warranty policy) Mine: Freelander 2 HSE, 08. Santorini Black/Alpaca Leather, privacy glass, side steps.

Post #142042 6th May 2012 2:33 pm
Jubilado Boy

Finally got my sat nav working. Took it to my very helpful and friendly dealer - Harwoods of Hove who ran some diagnostics - found the sat nav box under the drivers seat was faulty - not repairable and this morning fitted a nice new one. New disc loaded straight away, all working fine.

Times like these I am glad of the extended LR warranty - which covered it no quibble - just over £2000 all in to replace the sat nav box.

Glad I bought genuine LR sat nav upgrade disc - may have been tricky if using a dodgy copy when the system failed.

Oh well - await the next drama. Thanks to everyone who offered help with the upgrade problems. Mine: Freelander 2 HSE, 08. Santorini Black/Alpaca Leather, privacy glass, side steps.

Post #144689 1st Jun 2012 11:08 am
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Jubilado Boy wrote:
Finally got my sat nav working. Took it to my very helpful and friendly dealer - Harwoods of Hove who ran some diagnostics - found the sat nav box under the drivers seat was faulty - not repairable and this morning fitted a nice new one. New disc loaded straight away, all working fine.

Times like these I am glad of the extended LR warranty - which covered it no quibble - just over £2000 all in to replace the sat nav box.

Glad I bought genuine LR sat nav upgrade disc - may have been tricky if using a dodgy copy when the system failed.

Oh well - await the next drama. Thanks to everyone who offered help with the upgrade problems.

Is it just a dvd drive??? ... i dunno just changed the car when the disks got to 3 years old and had a new set ..
someone on here should know £2000 seems a bit steep to me ...
(sounds like some one bucking for a nice holiday maybe a cruise ..!!!) Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #144718 1st Jun 2012 6:50 pm
jmatthewz

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

I had this problem today trying to upgrade 2007 to 2012. It kept resetting and not completing for over an hour. In the end I got fed up and shut the car off and tried again an hour later without taking the disc out. The satnav stayed on this time with the navigation button stuck in on the screen, the screensaver etc was still working. About 20mins into the drive it reset once and when it came back on it worked. Bow down

So for those who have this problem, I'd suggest leaving the disc in and just leave it to do it over a few drives.

No major changes I can see yet. The cancel navigation and RDS button have been moved to the main screen which is much better, but still no way of making the screensaver come on automatically Sad

Post #145802 15th Jun 2012 6:25 pm
Hackitt

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Buckingham Blue

At £2000 for a new drive, I think I would remove the one from under the seat and try cleaning the lens on the drive. Surly these must be standard DVD drives? Glad you had it sorted under warranty.

Post #169162 26th Jan 2013 1:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>