« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Two days with a SD4 GS auto in place of a TD4 XS manual
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 
Two days with a SD4 GS auto in place of a TD4 XS manual

Despite the best laid plans to borrow a Defender for the day, I've wound up with another Freelander while mine's in for service; an 11 Reg SD4 GS auto with 10,000 miles on the clock.

So, after 2 days and 250 miles, what's it been like?

It wasn't until I got out of town that I realised that it was the 190bhp version, not the 150bhp that I'm used to. In town, the difference is not noticeable, but when it comes to faster A roads and dual carriageways, the extra mid range punch is very welcome. I couldn't hear the turbo whistle that they seem to be famous for, but then I can't hear bats anymore either Rolling Eyes

The biggest difference was always going to be the auto box. I've never particularly liked automatics before, but I have given it a really fair try. I must say, that it's one of the best automatic 'boxes that I've ever used Thumbs Up I thought it would probably suit the car and to a large extent, it does.

To summarise, the good bits:

1. It's nicely high geared in top (a taller top gear than my 6 speed manual 'box).
2. Surprisingly, it's around 2 mpg more economical than my lower powered manual.
3. There's the manual override, which is nice.
4. It doesn't seem to slow it down noticably.
5. There's now somewhere to stretch my left leg, without the clutch pedal being in the way.

The bad bits:

1. Disconcertingly, it's a bit all-or-nothing as it lurches from "stop" to "go" when trying to park in a small gap on a steep-ish hill.
2. The fairly auto-typical lurch as it hunts up or down on light throttle openings. For instance, as a dual carriageway starts to climb a hill (and you press slightly harder on the throttle) it will, all of a sudden, lurch as it selects 5th from 6th.
3. The manual override is nice, but it will only allow you to go so far. For instance, if you've reached 4th and you feel it's time for 5th, you may only have 5th if the gearbox's computer agrees! Grrr.
4. While were talking about the manual override, to select it the lever has to move far left, just out of a comfortable reach. It's just right for LHD, but not set up for RHD.
5. The lack of control and the subtle, but definitely there, lurchiness (if there is such a word) has left me feeling a bit car sick after a nice cross country run from Barnstaple to Liskeard this afternoon. I don't ever normally do car sick!

I know that it's a very personal choice and I can see why some people go for the auto (and it's a good example of an auto box), but it's definitely not for me Sad

Post #139988 17th Apr 2012 8:29 pm
taztastic

England 

Good observations Tig, the auto is more of a pre emptive drive to get the best, I much prefer the auto but purely personal, makes it much calmer in busy towns.

I am setting my sights here
http://www.twistedperformance.co.uk/

Post #139994 17th Apr 2012 8:50 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I actually enjoy changing gear, always have and always will !!

I see it as one of the pleasures of driving.

should I seek some therapy ??

Iain

Post #139996 17th Apr 2012 9:10 pm
taztastic

England 

No Iain, going up and down the hill from Penrith to Alston has never really worked in any auto I have had, manual is much more fun but with the risk averse bunny huggers spoiling our roads, auto suits me better Thumbs Up

Post #139999 17th Apr 2012 9:16 pm
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Unfortunately the Aisin warner auto box fitted the freelander is not a patch on the ZF box fitted to the disco and RR. I have had several Disco's while mine has been in the dealers and their auto is so much smoother, you really cannot feel the changes, up or down. My last TD4 box was much smoother than my current SD4, also when pulling away from a standstill there is a slight lurch, it almost feel as though the box was in nuetral and is suddenly put into gear, slight but there.

Post #140020 17th Apr 2012 11:05 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Interesting replies, thanks. Thumbs Up

My dealer is letting me try a D4 for 24 hours this weekend, so it'll make a very interesting comparison. I'll report back...

Post #140023 18th Apr 2012 2:06 am
EYorkshire

A good honest opinion Tigger Thumbs Up

I can't compare with any other 'Auto' box but agree with the comment when approaching a slight incline, the gear, speed, power and revs are enough for it not to need a change down, but it does.
When I'm in a hurry whether in 'Drive' or 'Sport', I don't like the way it revs into the 'redline' range of the rev counter before changing up, there's no need, its a diesel Exclamation
I also don't like the pause when flooring it from a standstill at junctions or roundabouts, I know there is a reason for this and also a work around but it still gives me an 'ass clencher' Surprised
Other than that, I love the manual 'Command Shift' when towing as it really helps with engine braking on long downhills.
I prefer 'Sport Mode' to 'Drive' due to the abundance of 'B' roads that I drive on around my area as its not so eager to change up nor down.
I would hazard a guess that any Auto is better suited to heavier cars, the D4, RR's weight would negate any surges in the changes due to their weight making it a much smoother experience, whereas the Freely is in comparison a lightish car for such a torquey engine, more-so the SD4 power. If the 'ZF' box was put in the Freely perhaps it would not be so smooth, so is one better than the other or is it to do with kerbweight of the car Question
I really like it but can offer no comparison with another Auto box, but it must be really difficult to programme the software to attempt the perfect driving scenario in all road conditions for all people.
For me 'Sport' mode is for my rural way of driving and 'Drive' mode is for pottering around in the city, but on the whole it does a great job Thumbs Up .
The 'Auto' fulfills all my current requirements, but I still miss the interactive manual, if only the clutch and DMF was stronger and they did a Freely SD4 in manual Sad

Post #140026 18th Apr 2012 7:22 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"I can't compare with any other 'Auto' box but agree with the comment when approaching a slight incline, the gear, speed, power and revs are enough for it not to need a change down, but it does.

My auto doesnt do this, remember these adapt to your driving style , mine will stay in top down to about 1600rpm even up quite a steep hill & just keeps going.

When I'm in a hurry whether in 'Drive' or 'Sport', I don't like the way it revs into the 'redline' range of the rev counter before changing up, there's no need, its a diesel
My auto will never get anywhere near the redline, which is a pain when you want to blow the cobwebs away ! then its manual mode time. Even with kick-down held down it doesn't pass 3500 before it changes

I also don't like the pause when flooring it from a standstill at junctions or roundabouts, I know there is a reason for this and also a work around but it still gives me an 'ass clencher' "
Mine had a horredous hesitation which as you say is buttock clenching , but was caused by several faults, it now gets up and goes on the button without a fraction of a delay & is so quick of the mark it fantastic. Also if you hold on brake with left foot this causes a massive delay in throttle up ! as throttle is delayed till signal from brake pedal cleared.

The Lurching of gears is something that the SD4 suffers from, mine is super smooth, but have noticed every SD4 loan car I have had ( its been plenty & for long periods ) the gear-change is awful after the earlier FR2
I have had countless auto's & although my FR2 has been a total piece of junk the auto box now it works is the best I have ever driven.

Post #140033 18th Apr 2012 8:58 am
Ben Twillie

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

I agree with Old Geezer's comments completely. The auto box in the FR2 responds to how you drive it, if you hoof it then it will hang on to gears longer. I tend to drive for economy and find the box very smooth, in fact I can tell when it's going to change up or down 99% of the time. Also I have not noticed any hesitation at junctions or lights - If you have to go quickly power comes in immediately. If you want a real fright at junctions drive a VW Passat DSG, it comes with a suicide note written out for you to sign.

Post #140054 18th Apr 2012 11:12 am
taztastic

England 

Had an Octavia with DSG box, great box but quirky and you needed your wits about you Thumbs Up

Many people experience the hesitation at junctions or lights, I believe, because as Oldgeezer also mentuioned, the electronic "brain" for the car receives a command to kill the throttle when the brake is pressed, there is a delay before throttle response comes back, at junctions if you come straight off the brake to the throttle, you get the butt clenching pause, use the hand brake or hang back a little and roll, full and immediate throttle response can then be had.
To see how long the delay is, on a quite road tootle along accelerating gently and ever so lightly press the brake pedal with the left foot, not enough to actually brake but you will feel the engine die on you quite markedly before the power comes back.
Auto box = educate yourself how to use it = box will educate itself how you drive Thumbs Up

Post #140056 18th Apr 2012 11:22 am
EYorkshire

Quote:
My auto will never get anywhere near the redline, which is a pain when you want to blow the cobwebs away ! then its manual mode time. Even with kick-down held down it doesn't pass 3500 before it changes

I think this may be due to different mapping between the TD4 and SD4, it seems yours is a little low and mines a little high, admittedly 4200rpm is only the dotted red on the counter and not the solid red.

No matter what and irrespective of educating, whether you boot it in auto or command shift it in manual a diesel does not need to redline. With foot to the floor, the 'brain' will change up automatically or enforce an upchange if in 'command shift' at 4200rpm with mine.
It's too high, maximum torque and power has been and gone Mad

Driven sedately in drive, I must admit it is quite smooth and changes up quite quickly at 2000rpm.

Post #140058 18th Apr 2012 11:58 am
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

oldgeezer wrote:

I also don't like the pause when flooring it from a standstill at junctions or roundabouts, I know there is a reason for this and also a work around but it still gives me an 'ass clencher' "
[i]Mine had a horredous hesitation which as you say is buttock clenching , but was caused by several faults, it now gets up and goes on the button without a fraction of a delay & is so quick of the mark it fantastic.

OG - I would be interested to know what faults were the cause of the throttle delay. This is my only gripe about the auto box and I would really like to solve it if possible - there is one particular roundabout on my way to work which requires quick thinking AND quick throttle response if you wish to avoid 'brown trouser' moments Laughing . Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #140061 18th Apr 2012 1:07 pm
bbjoca

Sweden 

Aye, +1 on RazMan Smile It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #140070 18th Apr 2012 1:54 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

could this be a situation where additional earth/ground connections are required - as has been discussed several/many times before 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #140075 18th Apr 2012 2:50 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

I found the auto box lurched around a bit when I first got my Sd4, but with 20k miles on now it doesn't happen and I'm very pleased with it. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #140104 18th Apr 2012 6:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>