Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > self recovery.. how do you do it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LRswe

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver
self recovery.. how do you do it?

hi guys... not long until the car is outside now! : ) oooh just the thought of no more bleeding ears at 90kh, an elbow that can be inside my car and the cooling waft of AC... sorry, little overindulgent perhaps...

right.. self recovery.. There is no doubt going to come a time when I will be out by myself, see a problem and decide I want to give it a shot, and most likely end up on my belly.

What are the options? Hijack is out as there are no lifting points, winch is out as well..

I am guessing my options are an exhaust lift or use a high jack as a winch? What are you guys all using?

Post #139741 15th Apr 2012 4:02 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I've used the exhaust jack a couple of times. Best used in conjunction with some MaxTrax or similar. Tricky to use in mud as it slips out from under the car easily and not pleasant to set up in those conditions that's for sure. Been there done that...horrible. Very Happy Don't go too far into water on your own as self recovery is almost impossible without some sort of winch. Hand winching is hard work, each pull moves you about 25mm. Talk about tough..... I was thinking about a portable electric "winch in a bag". They look pretty good and not bad price wise.

Post #139752 15th Apr 2012 9:13 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Something like this may do it. You would of course need a tow bar fitted. In my experience of off roading, a rear winch is more likely to be of use than a front mounted for self recovery. That is to say you tend to drive into something you want to back out of!

http://www.firstfour.co.uk/item/2069204/po...nch-system John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #139771 15th Apr 2012 10:46 am
MihaiB

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I recently used a manual winch (Tirfor) to pull out the car, stuck in deep snow. You can see it in the movie below.

The winch is rated for 1.6 tonnes lifting (or 2.6 tonnes pulling) but from what I've learned it can cope with much bigger weights. It took us about 10 minutes to install it - as it was the first time we were using one so we had to also read the manual in the meantime Smile. Even though we were two people pulling, it can be done by one person as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RGr2mMpoGU

Post #141651 2nd May 2012 8:34 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

This post has been edited by the site administration
Thread moved to correct section

Post #141655 2nd May 2012 9:17 am
Icemanx10

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

mikehzz wrote:
I've used the exhaust jack a couple of times. Best used in conjunction with some MaxTrax or similar. Tricky to use in mud as it slips out from under the car easily and not pleasant to set up in those conditions that's for sure. Been there done that...horrible. Very Happy Don't go too far into water on your own as self recovery is almost impossible without some sort of winch. Hand winching is hard work, each pull moves you about 25mm. Talk about tough..... I was thinking about a portable electric "winch in a bag". They look pretty good and not bad price wise.

Hi Mikehzz
I had an exhaust jack but it was stolen (damn Perth), and I'm not sure if it's worth replacing. Everytime I've gone out to date, I've left it at home to save space.
What situations did you find it helpful in, I imagine it would help tons changing a tyre?
Since you sold your Freelander 2, what did you buy? Is it still the Grand Cherokee in photos from the trip with Vesko in the High Country?
Cheers,
Mark

Post #227798 24th Jun 2014 6:31 am
mikehzz

I haven't sold the FL2. It's got 192K on the clock now. Very Happy I have both cars and use them alternately or whatever is best suited for the trip.

The exhaust jack is only any good on sand. If you are really bogged up to the floor pan, it's great for lifting the whole side of the car up so you can fill in the holes and drop the car down on the surface again. I rarely take it any more preferring the tracks and a shovel or waiting for a snatch to come along. Cheers.

Post #227799 24th Jun 2014 6:39 am
Gordy

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

I'd bought a 10 metre 6 tonne open end ratchet strap, 4.5t shackles, 4metre/8 tonne strap, 3 tonne 11metre strap, mud/snow trax, folding metal shovel. So far I've used 1 shackle.......
Overkill Whistle

Post #229532 22nd Jul 2014 12:15 am
margouillat

France 

Hi guys, thanks for these great advices...

I am about to go skiing in Jura (next to Switzerland). I dont have any recovery tools and no chains, so was considering buying a kinetic rope in case of troubles.

I wanted to have your opinion, from what I read the 3.25 Tons shackles are sufficient, with a 8T kinetic rope? Is that correct?

My main doubt is more about the towing eyes. Do you use the original towing eyes? Are they strong enough, and unlikely to break? or is it necessary to have some special installation?

Many txs

Post #284444 15th Dec 2015 1:06 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #284446 15th Dec 2015 1:34 pm
768will

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

I used to use half a dozen Africans to push me out any situation, all for a few shillingi and some cigarettes. Maybe I'll use this method if immigration continues to rise. (Yes I know it's not PC) 11 GS Bali Blue
07 GS FL2. Usually muddy. Gone
Numerous LRs since 1963

Post #284450 15th Dec 2015 2:33 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I would suggest if you're out on your own, do some exploring, but if you see something you're not sure about, wait until next time and bring a friend.. Being stuck on you own without the correct knowledge or gear isnt a great idea and ends up being no fun at all..

Ive been there before, there were 2 of us and we were in a defender, went over a pretty small hill/ mound and bottomed out, put the diff locks in and BANG! CV went.. it was in the middle of some waste ground, and although the defender did have a winch, it was useless as there was nothing to winch from.. we ended up having to leave the vehicle, get a CV go back and fit the new CV, then dig out underneath it until we got traction.. We are both very experienced in off road driving and copmetitions but this still happened with a very well equiped vehicle. oh did I mention it was snowing Big Cry

dont chance it.. take someone with you, if you cant, just have a play and stick to what you know..

This was the vehicle, as you can see, it was very capable, but still got into trouble..

Kinetic ropes in snow... I wouldnt fancy it.. plus you need a willing other vehicle to take part which will more than likely end up being shunted after pulling you out and you fail to stop in the snow.. just a thought,.,. MY2011 Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black
MY2004 Freelander 1 Sport Java Black
MY1986 Defender 90 Stornoway Grey - Fully Rebuilt this Year

Post #284451 15th Dec 2015 2:34 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Quote:
I used to use half a dozen Africans to push me out any situation, all for a few shillingi and some cigarettes. Maybe I'll use this method if immigration continues to rise. (Yes I know it's not PC)

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter MY2011 Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black
MY2004 Freelander 1 Sport Java Black
MY1986 Defender 90 Stornoway Grey - Fully Rebuilt this Year

Post #284453 15th Dec 2015 2:36 pm
mikehzz

My latest bit of self recovery gear. Works quite well forwards or backwards.

Post #294517 23rd Mar 2016 9:45 pm
Bushx

Canada 2010 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Alaska White

When I had my Xterra, I packed a hilift jack with winch kit. The winch kit worked well, you will need a tree or something nearby though. Add in a wheel sling and I figure it would be a good bit of kit for a Freelander 2.

Post #294648 25th Mar 2016 7:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>