Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander sat nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My Tom Tom sits on a dash mat (see gallery). No probs with discs on screen. Re traffic info, the LR sat TMC sometimes audibly advises of congestion ahead, sometimes just the TMC symbol goes RED - with no audible warning! Am I supposed to drive with my eyes glues to the screen? I think not! Shocked My TT gives graphical info of traffic on route & distances. Also audibly suggests alternate routes when the jams get bad. That is what is needed, a proactive system! The LR system is not. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #138151 30th Mar 2012 9:08 am
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Built in Sat Navs are a rip-off, although they do look better than something stuck on the screen with a wire leading to the plug. Makers charge up to £2000 for built in sat navs, Tom Tom charge £150. Why can't a maker do a deal with Tom Tom and build one of their sat navs into the dash for £150, then everyone would have one?

Post #138249 31st Mar 2012 4:03 pm
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

One advantage with the built in version is that the volume can be adjusted from the steering wheel , the radio is turned down when an instruction is given , together with the bluetooth for the phone which is similarly controlled it all just makes things simple

Post #138251 31st Mar 2012 4:32 pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 

I'd never buy a sat nav - after market or as a factory fitted option. My last two cars came with factory fitted devices, which don't get used. The benefit on the FL2 is the screen saver shows as an analogue clock and I really like that. How do I get around? Easy; I use an atlas and having a god grasp of geography, can get to most places in this country easily.

Post #138252 31st Mar 2012 4:36 pm
freefrom

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Buckingham Blue

Hi Ive had a tom tom and several built in audi sat navs, to be honest the LR built in one seems fine and is probably better than the last audi one in some areas. but it is expensive! 2012 MY TD4 SX Manual in very rare Buckingham Blue!

Post #138268 31st Mar 2012 5:51 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Missing Link wrote:
The portable sat navs are fine, I just think that there must be a better "universal" way to fix them than the windscreen sucker.

A polished area on the dash would be great.

Icing on the cake would be if car makers could fit USB power sockets in the dash as such devices are now so common.

If you don't have the LR sat nav fitted you can mount the tomtom bracket in the cubby hole - in an upside down way as it attach it to the roof of the cubby hole - then no mark on windscreen QED

Post #138280 31st Mar 2012 7:11 pm
treetops

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

richardk wrote:
Missing Link wrote:
The portable sat navs are fine, I just think that there must be a better "universal" way to fix them than the windscreen sucker.

A polished area on the dash would be great.

Icing on the cake would be if car makers could fit USB power sockets in the dash as such devices are now so common.

If you don't have the LR sat nav fitted you can mount the tomtom bracket in the cubby hole - in an upside down way as it attach it to the roof of the cubby hole - then no mark on windscreen QED

OR, the Garmin disc fixes to the l/h inside of the cubby. Just need to sort out a more permanent concealed route for the wiring. While on that tack, why do LR switch the lighter thro' the ignition, and not the 12v aux.? Caravanners get hooked

Post #138317 1st Apr 2012 3:14 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

The box itself has small rubber mat so I drilled a larger hole in the base of the box to the back big enough to feed cable ends through (16mm) and then put a small notch in the mat to allow the mat to be refitted after running the cables.

In the end I put a simple 3 way ciggy socket extension in the back of the box and run the power cable through the dash and out the bottom of the tunnel trim. That powered the Sat Nav, DAB tuner and iPod with an audio lead to come out next to the Aux In socket. Because the sockets were hidden behind the Sat Nav it looked fairly neat but they tended to migrate out so I had to put an elastic band round each plug to hold them in.

I found the sucker for my Sony was fine in the side of the box due to the gel pad but when I got the Garmin it would leak and drop off so I put a piece of sticky backed film on to the box.

Most aux power functions are now controlled by CAN Bus so ther is no true high power aux terminal. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #138318 1st Apr 2012 3:39 pm
rorsters

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

1STFREELANDER wrote:
Built in Sat Navs are a rip-off, although they do look better than something stuck on the screen with a wire leading to the plug. Makers charge up to £2000 for built in sat navs, Tom Tom charge £150. Why can't a maker do a deal with Tom Tom and build one of their sat navs into the dash for £150, then everyone would have one?

The wifes Renault Scenic has TomTom build into the dash 3D. It's the way ahead much better than the 2D versions I've had & have. It's also standard fit, U.K.&Ireland mapping only, to have western Europe installed is £110. Works on SD cards not C.D.'s. Faugh A Ballagh

Last edited by rorsters on 2nd Apr 2012 9:35 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #138338 1st Apr 2012 7:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy131

United Kingdom 

FL2 satnav woks fine.
Light years ahead of the FL1 version.
Unlike the wifes portable unit it won't get nicked.
Is it worth a thousand pounds + more than a Tom Tom? Rolling Eyes
My Next LR will have a factory fit satnav. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #138357 2nd Apr 2012 6:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12