« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Missing brackets fer towbar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DALEK

United Kingdom 
Missing brackets fer towbar

I have a FL2 that does not have a tow bar.....I need a tow bar!.........So went to eBay and bought one! Problem solved? No far from it! The guy who sold me the Brink/Thule bar removed it from his FL2 an did not remove the 2 end brackets. So I have a centre section and am needing the 2 hangers. Thule/Bfink will not supply them on there own.

Do you have the brackets or a FL2 that still has them attached.

Please help if you can

Thanks

Post #136835 19th Mar 2012 8:08 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

DALEK!!! Shame you weren't all wiped out in the time war! Rolling with laughter

Just had to say that, I can't answer your query though, sorry Very Happy LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #136836 19th Mar 2012 8:11 pm
DALEK

United Kingdom 

Ha Ha Rolling with laughter T Censored T

Post #136837 19th Mar 2012 8:12 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

DALEK wrote:
Ha Ha Rolling with laughter T Censored T

Laughing Thumbs Up

CG might be the man for this query Whistle LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #136838 19th Mar 2012 8:14 pm
DALEK

United Kingdom 

Cheers Doc xxxx

Post #136841 19th Mar 2012 8:22 pm
ad210358

England 

I feel a lot of owners wil be getting caught our if not very careful of what they are buying, there is getting quite a few listings of the Thule/Brink towball and towball and receiver, they are selling them as complete towbars but the three other parts are missing, they even suggest that the missing parts are fitted at the factory and you only need to buy the ball section Shocked

Post #136843 19th Mar 2012 8:25 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver
RTFM

I am about to swap mine for a new car and want to move the tow bar over. The stealership has quoted £375 just to do the swap so I will do the work myself (I could buy a new bar/electrics kit for that).

What I have done is find the installation manuals for the bar and electrics on the Topix site. That way I can identify exactly what makes up the kit and ensure that I remove all the parts needed. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #137043 21st Mar 2012 9:31 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Good idea i would the same but they or some one will have to program the electrics in your new motor unless you have access to diagnostics machine with setting abilities and the know how to use it

Post #137051 21st Mar 2012 11:21 am
ad210358

England 
Re: RTFM

Missing Link wrote:
I am about to swap mine for a new car and want to move the tow bar over. The stealership has quoted £375 just to do the swap so I will do the work myself (I could buy a new bar/electrics kit for that).

What I have done is find the installation manuals for the bar and electrics on the Topix site. That way I can identify exactly what makes up the kit and ensure that I remove all the parts needed.

I've just changed the Towbar on mine, new detachable from PF Jones £200 with delivery, consists of the main cross section, one large chassis mounting plate for the near side, a smaller chassis plate for the off side and what ever mountings you have on your particular bar for whatever your hitching to. To be honest it is not a difficult job, two hours should see you through.

Also I wanted my old bar fitted on to my new Freely and one dealership refused to do it as it is company policy not to fit second hand parts to a vehicle, I didn't buy the replacement from them, not many good reports on here regarding the sales staff of this particular dealership.

Post #137123 21st Mar 2012 7:03 pm
Missing Link

The salesman has assured me that having it reprogrammed won't be an issue however we will have see when the time comes.

The on line manuals also showed me that there is a bracket behind the front mud flaps which is not visible on the car. I can't work out at the moment how the clip that holds the rubber drivers mat is locked in place. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #137126 21st Mar 2012 7:31 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Quote:
Good idea i would the same but they or some one will have to program the electrics in your new motor unless you have access to diagnostics machine with setting abilities and the know how to use it

Not all installations need a dealer program, I did not have mine done and it worked OK and several people have posted that they have not needed to program, What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #137193 21st Mar 2012 10:44 pm
ad210358

England 

Missing Link wrote:
The salesman has assured me that having it reprogrammed won't be an issue however we will have see when the time comes.

The on line manuals also showed me that there is a bracket behind the front mud flaps which is not visible on the car. I can't work out at the moment how the clip that holds the rubber drivers mat is locked in place.

You've lost me Question

Post #137195 21st Mar 2012 10:58 pm
Missing Link

That all right, having reread it it makes little sense to me either Embarassed

Taken off the tow bar today, I can see why the uninitiated would not pick up that the two end brackets would need removing without the manual. One is effectively inside the towing eye and the other matches up the towing eye bracket itself on the other side.

Having disconnected the electronics the parking distance control is showing an error but the garage can sort that when they get the car. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #137292 22nd Mar 2012 5:32 pm
ad210358

England 

What I did find when a swapped the bars is the two brackets that the OP is missing seem to be the same for whatever bar you fit, I removed the Brink/LR Bar and fitted a Westfalia bar, I could if I had wanted to, not changed the two brackets that bolt to the chassis as the Westfalia bar lined up exactly with the holes in the Brink/LR bar.

Post #137301 22nd Mar 2012 8:03 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

having the towbar electrics programed in will tell the car when a trailer is coupled up so reverse sensores can be disengaged when reverse is selected. The trailer light indicater flashes in the front display to confirm the trailer lights are connected.
On the base models that dont have reverse sensors it wouldnt matter anyway. I did hear that when a trailer is coupled it alters the cars systems for safer driving but i could be wrong as i have not looked into this my self

Post #137303 22nd Mar 2012 8:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>