Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Typical UK plumber tool. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #344267 6th Mar 2018 8:29 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

Hi mace my freelander previously owned by my son had the plastic flaps drop into the chamber.bent valves head off .total bill around£1400 .i believe the later manifold does not have the flaps fitted.
Bob.

Post #344275 6th Mar 2018 9:20 pm
LandiAndy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi, 120,000K miles and have just done same to mine. When inlet manifold removed, 1 flap had broken in half and both parts were sitting across the inlet valve port. By good fortune they hadn't gone into the valve/piston and caused any other damage as many ithers have been unfortunate to suffer.

I have removed the remaining 3 flaps and the brass actuating rod, cleaned the crud out and reassembled with new seals.

I would strongly recommend the removal of the swirl flaps from the inlet manifold before they break and cause any serious damage to their engines.

Post #346845 7th Apr 2018 9:56 pm
alfapat

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Santorini Black

Great instructions for replacement of Glow plugs , about to refit but not finding torque settings for glow plugs , thinking they should be 10 nm ?
Anyone please I have downloaded stuff from the workshop link but may have missed it.

Post #356225 5th Sep 2018 2:23 pm
DigDil

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

The FL2 repair manual I have on page 1125 has;
Torque: 10Nm

Post #356228 5th Sep 2018 3:19 pm
alfapat

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Santorini Black

Brilliant that’s great, just thought it was quite a small setting.
Thanks

Post #356231 5th Sep 2018 3:43 pm
markyzs180

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks exmilade Bow down

Great post that will have helped many on here Thumbs Up

About to do mine so has been copied and pasted ino a PDF for future reference Thumbs Up

Last edited by markyzs180 on 20th May 2020 2:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #390312 21st Apr 2020 6:21 pm
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Without this guide, I would have taken much longer. Such a great setup. I did bleed the system using Alex's air line method.
Replaced my inlet manifold with a swirless spare. Unfortunately (or fortunately) one flap had disintegrated and only half was left bouncing around the valve.
Shortly after I believe it happened it would only tick over on 3 cylinders, but fine at higher revs. By the time I got it to an independent .. all was well ...
Everything looks fine, and no apparent blow by on the inlet valve though the stem is a little more polished that the others , so fingers crossed. If it passes emissions then I'll pursue it no further.
Three out of four glow plugs o/c.

Post #391376 20th May 2020 1:02 pm
markyzs180

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey

So, having gathered all the bits and with the help of all the info on this thread I spent a nice day yesterday changing the glow plugs. All went well, no dramas (apart from not having an 8mm deep socket that fitted). All four of my glowplugs were open circuit (duff) and I swapped the intake manifold for a swirless one that I picked up a while ago. I did a couple of things differently that may help others about to do it and also some info that may help:

2008 HST on 120,649 miles.

EGR pipe - the rear lower fixing is nigh on impossible to get to and you risk losing it down the engine if you can get to it! What I found was the flanges on the end of the pipe freely rotate once the bolts are removed so I removed the two bolts from the intake end, the bolt from the top of the engine and then just slackened the upper rear bolt. This meant I was able to detach the pipe from the intake and then lift the pipe up and out of the way.

I didn't remove the spill off pipes, once the intake manifold is unbolted you can just unclip the pipes from the top edge.

I had picked up a set of genuine glow plugs. Once opened they are NGK as has been mentioned before. Quite funny though, the connectors on the harness have BOSCH stamped on them.

All four glowplugs came out easily (once I'd borrowed a decent 8mm deep socket) even after 120,000 miles.

I replaced the intake seals... after 120k miles mine were flat and I doubt they would have sealed correctly had i re-used them. Do a search for LR005364. I got a set of Dana Reinz for £11 delivered.

I replaced the fuel filter (needed to be done anyway) and I used Alex's way of priming the new filter by sucking the fuel through port 4 using a syringe. Started first time with no issues. Again I used a genuine filter which is a Purflux.

As I said, I changed the intake for a swirless Evoque one but have to say the original one had all flaps in place and in good condition and all working ok but I changed it anyway, just in case!

So only advice is, take your time, drink plenty of tea!

Post #391747 28th May 2020 10:57 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks to the excellent advice here I changed glowplugs yesterday.

3hours to strip out to get access.

10 mins to change 4 glowplugs (no broken ones thank goodness)

3 hours to put everything back.

phew, what a job. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #414230 4th Nov 2021 9:19 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

markyzs180 wrote:
So, having gathered all the bits and with the help of all the info on this thread I spent a nice day yesterday changing the glow plugs. All went well, no dramas (apart from not having an 8mm deep socket that fitted). All four of my glowplugs were open circuit (duff) and I swapped the intake manifold for a swirless one that I picked up a while ago. I did a couple of things differently that may help others about to do it and also some info that may help:

2008 HST on 120,649 miles.

EGR pipe - the rear lower fixing is nigh on impossible to get to and you risk losing it down the engine if you can get to it! What I found was the flanges on the end of the pipe freely rotate once the bolts are removed so I removed the two bolts from the intake end, the bolt from the top of the engine and then just slackened the upper rear bolt. This meant I was able to detach the pipe from the intake and then lift the pipe up and out of the way.

I didn't remove the spill off pipes, once the intake manifold is unbolted you can just unclip the pipes from the top edge.

I had picked up a set of genuine glow plugs. Once opened they are NGK as has been mentioned before. Quite funny though, the connectors on the harness have BOSCH stamped on them.

All four glowplugs came out easily (once I'd borrowed a decent 8mm deep socket) even after 120,000 miles.

I replaced the intake seals... after 120k miles mine were flat and I doubt they would have sealed correctly had i re-used them. Do a search for LR005364. I got a set of Dana Reinz for £11 delivered.

I replaced the fuel filter (needed to be done anyway) and I used Alex's way of priming the new filter by sucking the fuel through port 4 using a syringe. Started first time with no issues. Again I used a genuine filter which is a Purflux.

As I said, I changed the intake for a swirless Evoque one but have to say the original one had all flaps in place and in good condition and all working ok but I changed it anyway, just in case!

So only advice is, take your time, drink plenty of tea!

Set of intakes O-rings /seals.

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr005364...8458-p.asp

Post #417020 13th Jan 2022 10:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234