« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Question on Soft Sand Driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
TurboDan

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Whistler White
Question on Soft Sand Driving

Hoping for some help from any members here who use their LR2/FL2 on soft, beach sand.

My question: What kind of tires are you using, and to what PSI do you air them down when readying your vehicle for a ride on the beach?

I ask because I took my LR2 on the beach here in New Jersey, USA and it got stuck. Fortunately, someone was there to lend a hand, but I'd like to avoid such unpleasantness in the future – especially given how fast the high tide comes in on the coastal barrier island where I live. Mr. Green

We, admittedly, aired down rather slightly. Since then, I've been reading on some U.S. Jeep forums that those folks air down to 10psi. We were still at about 25psi, which I suspect was the issue. For reference, I'm using Conti CrossContact 235R/60-18 tires. The beach sand here is very soft, which is wonderful for spring/summer/fall beach lounging, but perhaps causes some extra precautions to have to be taken when driving.

Thanks! CAR HISTORY
1997 Saab 900 SE 2.0 Turbo
2003 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T
2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 2.3 I6

Post #135599 10th Mar 2012 11:30 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

If you search for +psi +sand it will bring up a few threads that have been discussed

Such as http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10395.html?highlight=psi+sand

Thumbs Up

Post #135603 11th Mar 2012 12:22 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Failing that' there's always....

Rolling Eyes

Post #135608 11th Mar 2012 8:12 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I find 15psi is pretty bullet proof on sand. I would only drop it further if I was stuck. The trick on sand is to not try too hard to rev your way out as you usually just dig a bigger hole. Tyre choice on sand is not as important but aggressive off road tyres dig holes quicker. Low profile 18/19" don't bag out much as the sidewall is thinner so not as good as 17's. Turn the DSC off and drive the sand mode manually. Really soft sand will sink most cars so keep the momentum up and don't stop unless you are on some sort of a slope however slight. Take off again down the slope. Cheers.

Post #135641 11th Mar 2012 1:21 pm
TurboDan

mikehzz wrote:
I find 15psi is pretty bullet proof on sand. I would only drop it further if I was stuck. The trick on sand is to not try too hard to rev your way out as you usually just dig a bigger hole. Tyre choice on sand is not as important but aggressive off road tyres dig holes quicker. Low profile 18/19" don't bag out much as the sidewall is thinner so not as good as 17's. Turn the DSC off and drive the sand mode manually. Really soft sand will sink most cars so keep the momentum up and don't stop unless you are on some sort of a slope however slight. Take off again down the slope. Cheers.

Thanks for the tips!

Regarding stopping/starting: One of the reasons to drive on soft sand is to get to some of the better fishing locations. In such a case, one would obviously stop the car, spend a few hours fishing, and then head back home. From a "parked" position, what would be the best way to get started again?

I'm also assuming, when using Command Shift, to shift gears at relatively low RPMs? CAR HISTORY

Post #135745 12th Mar 2012 12:17 am
mikehzz

If you park nose pointing down even the littlest of slopes it helps a lot. You usually find it up away from the water a bit but the sand is softer up there too. Smile

Post #135748 12th Mar 2012 2:25 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Take four small(ish) pieces of hardboard and park the wheels on them to spread the load and stop the car sinking. Like the caravanners do (ssssh - CG may be lurking).

Post #135799 12th Mar 2012 1:36 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

oh the joys of taking pieces of wood on holiday with you Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #135800 12th Mar 2012 1:38 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Arrrgh - I knew he'd be there. Don't the chicks need feeding or something? (Actually I bet you have staff to do that. Eastern European and living in caravans....?) Whistle

Post #135805 12th Mar 2012 1:50 pm
ad210358

England 

You'll start him off Thud

Post #135810 12th Mar 2012 2:10 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

not if he's stuck in the sand Wink

Post #135838 12th Mar 2012 3:51 pm
mikehzz

I must say I have never worried about the car sinking in soft sand while it is parked. Generally you go down only when your wheels are spinning because they are just digging a hole and not going forward. The standard recovery item here for sand are called Max Trax. They are a portable ramp that you wedge under the wheels once you know you aren't going to be able to move anymore but before you hit the floor pan. Once again, don't stop to pick them up until you are up on a bit of a slope or you will just bog again when you try to move. I've had to walk back 1/2 a kilometre to pick up recovery gear as it wasn't advisable to stop the momentum.

Post #135923 12th Mar 2012 9:56 pm
mikehzz

Another tip, on sand try not to use your brakes. Let yourself roll to a stop then you don't have a build up of sand in front of the wheel. Stopping is never an issue on soft sand, you stop quickly enough without the brakes. My son's girlfriend bogged our FL2 very quickly when she got spooked by another car and slammed the brakes on. She created a nice little ramp down into a hole that we couldn't reverse out of nor drive forward from.

Post #135931 12th Mar 2012 10:11 pm
JJJ

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Alaska White

You can check Post #13 here for some LR2 specific sand driving comments: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showth...ost654211.

Post #136923 20th Mar 2012 1:25 pm
TurboDan

mikehzz wrote:
I must say I have never worried about the car sinking in soft sand while it is parked. Generally you go down only when your wheels are spinning because they are just digging a hole and not going forward. The standard recovery item here for sand are called Max Trax. They are a portable ramp that you wedge under the wheels once you know you aren't going to be able to move anymore but before you hit the floor pan. Once again, don't stop to pick them up until you are up on a bit of a slope or you will just bog again when you try to move. I've had to walk back 1/2 a kilometre to pick up recovery gear as it wasn't advisable to stop the momentum.

Have you used the MaxTrax system yourself? It looks great, though pretty expensive.

There is a US retailer in Florida (where I'll be heading in two weeks) so perhaps I'll check them out in the flesh. But if you've used them, please let us know how they worked with the FL2! Very Happy CAR HISTORY

Post #138140 30th Mar 2012 5:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>