« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Top gear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Top gear

After dreaming about many unusual things last night one being taking my car to a car wash and they crashed it and gave me £3.50 to replace the front bumper, I realised,

whilst watching top gear the other night Jame's May was talking about a 2 stroke saab and was saying you had to use the accelerator and the brake to lube the engine down hill ? could he not of just depressed the clutch as the engine would still be idling sucking in fuel mixture :S, then his brakes wouldn't of boiled over.

Not sure if it was an auto but even if it was surely if the rev counter says the engine is working at 3000rpm etc.. then its still drawing in fuel from the tank thus lubing the engine :s..

Post #133773 28th Feb 2012 8:54 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Not only that, but I used to ride two stroke motorcycles that never seemed to mind being ridden down a hill, in gear, with the throttle shut. Naff all engine breaking to be had, but they didn't seem to suffer any lubrication failure as a result.

Post #133776 28th Feb 2012 9:15 am
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

just the typical twaddle that these guys come out with.

I thoughtfor once it may have been a sensible article but as usual it was rubbish...

No mention of the success of the early 96 in rallying , no mention of the the rally drivers just, letspick on one model and say it was the only good car.

The programme is really pants now and they should get rid of the fat old bald bloke , get the posing hamster a cage and give James May another serious programme with a light hearted touch.

If the BEEB do no binit soon I for one will be surprised.

As the alternative is the Antiques Roadshow I still watch the programme ( how sad am I ??)

Post #133785 28th Feb 2012 11:31 am
EYorkshire

If watching 'Top Gear' makes you 'sad' Sad

I never watch 'Top Gear' but instead watch the 'Antiques Roadshow', what does that make me Question
(opens myself up to verbal abuse) Laughing

Post #133791 28th Feb 2012 12:13 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Reeventu wrote:
just the typical twaddle that these guys come out with.

I thoughtfor once it may have been a sensible article but as usual it was rubbish...

No mention of the success of the early 96 in rallying , no mention of the the rally drivers just, letspick on one model and say it was the only good car.

The programme is really pants now and they should get rid of the fat old bald bloke , get the posing hamster a cage and give James May another serious programme with a light hearted touch.

If the BEEB do no binit soon I for one will be surprised.

As the alternative is the Antiques Roadshow I still watch the programme ( how sad am I ??)

I agree entirely, but usually watch/record it hoping for something interesting and worthwhile, as it used to be.

but I'm always disappointed.............................

watching Jeremy Clarkson abuse supercars is not my idea of good viewing, and why the BBC pay him to either do this or come out with stupid derogatory statements, etc is beyond me !!

I used to enjoy Jeremy, but he is beyond his sell by date and should not be presenting Top Gear now.

Iain

ps Fifth Gear in my opinion was better viewing

Post #133792 28th Feb 2012 12:19 pm
MANUFAN

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Agree with all the above 100%
Middle age men trying to regain their lost youth at the expense of the licence payer. This parrot is definitely dead.

Post #133807 28th Feb 2012 1:51 pm
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

Come on guys, its not meant to be a serious car testing program - just an entertainment program that happens to have some car related stuff in it. The 'road tests' are nothing more than comedy sketches with cars involved. Even the 'star in a reasonably priced car' is just a bit of fun for the celebs.
Once you look at it from that angle, it all becomes clear. Laughing

The program format is still popular though, and it has been copied in several countries so they must be doing something right to attract so many viewers. Anyway, where else could you see so many caravans (quite rightly) blown to bits? Whistle Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #133808 28th Feb 2012 2:04 pm
MANUFAN

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Watching Top Gear now is like watching a much loved Uncle on the dance floor at a wedding. You still love him but you wish he would sit down and stop making a prat of himself Embarassed

Post #133816 28th Feb 2012 2:56 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

MANUFAN wrote:
Watching Top Gear now is like watching a much loved Uncle on the dance floor at a wedding. You still love him but you wish he would sit down and stop making a prat of himself Embarassed

my sentiments exactly, and a brilliant analogy Thumbs Up

Iain

Post #133817 28th Feb 2012 3:03 pm
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

MANUFAN wrote:

But it is still a giggle to watch him making a prat of himself Laughing Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #133818 28th Feb 2012 3:04 pm
athelstan

Tigger wrote:
Not only that, but I used to ride two stroke motorcycles that never seemed to mind being ridden down a hill, in gear, with the throttle shut. Naff all engine breaking to be had, but they didn't seem to suffer any lubrication failure as a result.

Neither did/does my SILK 700s - but then again George Silk did design a brilliantly effective 2Stroke oil delivery system.

Post #133834 28th Feb 2012 4:13 pm
RegG

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue
Re: Top gear

chrisdeeming wrote:
whilst watching top gear the other night Jame's May was talking about a 2 stroke saab and was saying you had to use the accelerator and the brake to lube the engine down hill ? could he not of just depressed the clutch as the engine would still be idling sucking in fuel mixture :S, then his brakes wouldn't of boiled over.

Not sure if it was an auto but even if it was surely if the rev counter says the engine is working at 3000rpm etc.. then its still drawing in fuel from the tank thus lubing the engine :s..

Haven't watched this programme yet but I can possibly throw some light on what James May was talking about. The 2 stroke Saab 96 (and the 96 V4's too) had a freewheel device - when you took your foot off the accelerator the car would go into freewheel mode. It was possible to lock the freewheel to obtain engine breaking but there was very little of this on the 2 stroke engine. The 96 2 stroke was a brilliant little car that could be thrown about with ease, probably explaining why it won the Monte Carlo Rally three years on the trot in the hands of Erik Carlsson. 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6 in Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200tdi 3 door in blue

Post #133838 28th Feb 2012 4:47 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Come on guys - get some perspective. It's an infotainment program about cars - it is not some documentary on discovery. It is supposed to be funny, provide some eacapism, stretch the truth a little and generally be entertaining!

Besides, I think topgear is one of the top grossing brands for the BBC so why would they want to get rid? Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #133901 28th Feb 2012 11:00 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I agree Captain Worm. I admit it is past it's peak but I enjoy it anyway predictable or not. Clarkson still makes me laugh and they mock their own show when it is nominated at the TV awards for best factual programme. They always say it doesn't have facts in it. I hope it continues even though it needs altering to freshen it up.

I also ask for Clarksons new book each Christmas. Always a good light hearted and funny read Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #133903 28th Feb 2012 11:16 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

EYorkshire wrote:
If watching 'Top Gear' makes you 'sad' Sad

I never watch 'Top Gear' but instead watch the 'Antiques Roadshow', what does that make me Question
(opens myself up to verbal abuse) Laughing

You're not on your own EY! I aslo watch 'Antiques' instead of the blithering three idoits on the other BBC channel.

Top Gear is Top Pants as far as i'm concerned. Does for the average motorist what Hitler did for peace.

Utter s Censored te! Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #133905 28th Feb 2012 11:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>