Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Battery 74 Ah CCA 680 ok?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bbjoca

Sweden 
Battery 74 Ah CCA 680 ok?

Hi guys, sitting here with the revelation that I got the wrong replacement battery for my Freelander 2,2 TD4... I suspect my old battery (LR original) was getting old, so I bought a new one. (Cold starts really hard, glow plugs changed, and still hard to start sometimes.)

Instead of 80 Ah and 700 CCA, this one's got 74 Ah and 680 Ah. I didn't discover the wrong specs until I put it in (didn't notice, actually asked for a 77 Ah).

What do you think? Could I have problems with this one? Question

Cheers
J It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #132629 18th Feb 2012 4:24 pm
EYorkshire

To be perfectly honest I don't see the difference in Cold Cranking being enough to worry you, and the amp/hour is too small to worry about also but with your Winter temperatures I would have gone the other way with the battery. If your car is 'cranking' OK but not starting I'm afraid there is another reason for your poor starting.

Post #132633 18th Feb 2012 4:49 pm
bbjoca

Sweden 

Sorry - old battery, bad starting Smile I replaced the glow plugs, kept the old battery - left it standing 2 days. Today extremely hard to start even though temp. about 0.

New battery - not tested fully yet, just wanted to know whether I could expect problems with this one due to lower values in Ah and CCA, or if I could keep it in at least a year... or if I have to dash off to buy a new one "right now"...

But you're right, it's probably too small a difference to be a problem.
Smile

Sorry about being a bit confusing when describing my question Smile It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #132635 18th Feb 2012 4:54 pm
EYorkshire

Hi J, your new battery has only slightly less reserve and only slightly less cranking amps available so if your car has no problems in starting now then I would say the battery will be OK.

Post #132637 18th Feb 2012 4:59 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Easy thing to do , when I searched a number of online battery sites they all list the 74a/h as the standard fit so loads of people must have bought them instead of the original 80/700.

It was only reading a thread on here that I was guided by JST to biggest battery that will fit ( 85a/h 800cca)

common sense says your new 74 will outperform your old 80 so keep it. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #132676 18th Feb 2012 8:53 pm
bbjoca

Sweden 

Thanks for the replies guys! Smile Thumbs Up It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #132687 18th Feb 2012 10:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1