« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Whitney Houston
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Whitney Houston

Very shocked at the news of her death. Found in a hotel room in Los Angeles on the eve of the Grammys.

http://m.sky.com/skynews/article/news/16168012

Not into her music but no doubting her impact on the showbiz industry and there will be much speculation over her death and the media have already mentioned her drug abuse problems. Hopefully not the same level of scandal and conspiracy theories that followed Michael Jacksons death.

Sad news in any case. RIP Whitney. Sad LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #131516 12th Feb 2012 11:54 am
taztastic

England 

That's what you get for powdering your nose, icons my arse, these are the dregs of society as much as any other junkie.

Post #131519 12th Feb 2012 12:34 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Sad must most likely self inflicted through drug abuse.
I just hope that many youngsters are waking up to the fact that the drug route is not one to take ! Its dangerous and often fatal, but as drugs appear to becoming the norm amongst youngsters they need a serious wake up call.
I bet if a list was created of all the people that have sucummed to drugs it would reach around the world.

Post #131522 12th Feb 2012 12:42 pm
Ghyllie

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

before too many people Sheep have a pop at her for being a junkie remember, while there are many who take drugs just for "fun" there are many people who have mental and physical problems and feel that they have no other way to go especially with mental health problems while they are in the public eye, we do not know her personal circumstances and please make a distinction between dealers and users because only ONE of them IS scum Thumbs Up

Ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #131532 12th Feb 2012 1:36 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

taztastic wrote:
That's what you get for powdering your nose, icons my arse, these are the dregs of society as much as any other junkie.

Well said taz I could not agree more

Post #131546 12th Feb 2012 2:38 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

She was in her 'day' a very good singer

But she wasa has been, I dont recall her been an influence or writer on anything other than the injunctions against that bloke who knock ten bells of Censored out of her

Speculating on why she died is a bit soon, but the last time I saw her in the news she had that look of it won't be long about her

Sad for her family and fans, but she is just another death that has no effect on me, like winehouse and all the other has beens Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #131549 12th Feb 2012 2:51 pm
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

she was a excellent singer in her day but sadly lost her way and landed in to drugs as so many top singer have

try and remember her for her talent as a singer and not for her mistakes in life 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #131555 12th Feb 2012 3:10 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Now John Entwistle , there was a bloke who knew how to exit, if you are going to have a cocaine induced siezure, at least have 3 hookers with you at the time Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #131577 12th Feb 2012 4:09 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

make a distinction between dealers and users because only ONE of them IS scum

I just cannot understand this common prejudice. What's the difference between (1) a drug dealer and (2) a tobacconist or (3) a publican? All they do is supply the perceived "need" of the relevant addict. All three types of drug are expensive, anti-social and potentially fatal in their different ways. Alcohol is probably the worst because of the likely adverse behavioural problems affecting innocent third parties instead of participants.

OK, so-called "hard" drugs are currently illegal in this country but that's just a society thing with the unfortunate side effects of making the drugs so expensive that the users turn to crime to fund their habit and unnecessarily dangerous because of polluted supplies.

Prohibition in the US showed the impossibility of cutting off supply where there is in fact a mass demand for a product. The only real answer is to legalise, tax and control supply of all drugs. Let the users take their chances on the consequences. Possibly remove the protection of the NHS for their treatment - including lung cancer for smokers and A&E availability for drunks. It's all drug abuse in one form or other, merely more or less socially acceptable. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Last edited by rjc1944 on 12th Feb 2012 7:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #131580 12th Feb 2012 4:24 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

MartynB wrote:
Now John Entwistle , there was a bloke who knew how to exit, if you are going to have a cocaine induced siezure, at least have 3 hookers with you at the time Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #131582 12th Feb 2012 4:26 pm
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 14th Feb 2013 8:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #131591 12th Feb 2012 5:31 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Ghyllie wrote:
before too many people Sheep have a pop at her for being a junkie remember, while there are many who take drugs just for "fun" there are many people who have mental and physical problems and feel that they have no other way to go especially with mental health problems while they are in the public eye, we do not know her personal circumstances and please make a distinction between dealers and users because only ONE of them IS scum Thumbs Up

Ghyllie

well said Ghyllie, who are we to judge ??

Iain

Post #131650 12th Feb 2012 10:21 pm
Ghyllie

dunroof wrote:
Quite right RJC! Drugs, including tobacco and alcohol are scourges of this world. I have nothing but pity for the self deluding fools that participate in it and they deny it has a hold over them, but for the rest of us to pay for their treatment on the NHS is intolerable. They take the risk with their health, no one else, so let then take the consequences.

I would hate to think of how much my taxes would go up by if there were no smokers or drinkers to sudsidise the whole tax system, smokers alone put in at least £250 million a year in extra taxes, I for one do not want to cover that! I dont know how the government get from alcohol sales but I would think its at least the same £s. £500 million to cover. £15 a litre anyone? so please all you smokers and drinkers keep doing it, buy more in fact and please please please legalise drugs, lets get the tax for that as well.

Ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #131676 13th Feb 2012 7:30 am
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 14th Feb 2013 7:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #131677 13th Feb 2012 8:12 am
Ghyllie

dunroof wrote:
You can't justify these anti social practices in financial terms. That said, i dont suppose for a moment that the taxes cover doctors, nurses, hospitals, social workers, Police and all the ancillary services that we need to service these addicts. How many lives lost, direct and indirect, families bereft or destroyed, childhoods robbed because of drugs, alcohol or smoking!

I could throw a lot of figures in, but one that makes you think is a drunk driver fatal RTC on average costs us all over 1,000,000 to have investigated. ABI figures. Then let's chuck in Drink related Domestic Incidents, Child Abuse, the list is endless.

It just beats me how many normal people think they can handle it and it's not a problem, when it plainly is. How many reading this will po po the idea they are addicted! 99%! Enough to make you stop? If not, the chances are your already there!

How's Belladrum today? Does it still have its own water supply! Used to when I was house hunting years ago!

I wasn't justifying the anti social behavior after all not all drinkers or indeed alcoholics are anti social, as an ex smoker I still enjoy the smell of a cigarette but even when I smoked I hated to be in a smokey room so I preferred to smoke outside and not all drug users are theives/thugs/prostitutes or what ever else they can blame drugs for. I believe that if some one is going to be anti social they will be, regardless. My original point was that we dont know what drove Ms Houston to drugs, it could have been mental problems and/or physical abuse both of which have been highlighted in her past by the press as the old saying goes "there but for the grace of god goes I" and another saying "we are both preaching from the same bible" we have just reading different versions thats all Very Happy
Anyway most of us around here still have our own water supply I get mine from a spring so its ice cold and clean all year round but costs a fortune to keep everything de-scaled Shocked

Ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #131693 13th Feb 2012 9:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>