Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Terrain Response Warning On Startup - Defective Battery???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
Terrain Response Warning On Startup - Defective Battery???

There has been a few posts on this forum regarding the issue of the dashboard trip milometer, information display resetting and the key fob being partly ejected when trying to start the engine. I understand this has been covered by a software fix (Technical Bulletin) at the dealers. This has been described on this forum as an inconvenience rather than a major issue, hence I have not paid a visit to the dealer yet.

However, this morning when trying to start the car, the key fob ejected (as it occasionally does but only now and then) but this time it didn’t cause the trip or information display to reset. Instead, I got an amber warning on the dash and a readout on the info display telling me that the Terrain Response was inoperative. Car started after that but was very sluggish (only minus four degrees at home last night but quite a wind chill factor). I managed to reset the warnings by stopping the engine and reinserting the key fob. Over the last week or so I’ve noticed that the car is sometimes sluggish to start and put this down to a battery which is possibly well past its best (It’s the original Exide and has lived through four and a half winters now, the last two being quite cold for this country).

I’ve heard of horror stories about Terrain Response faults costing around £700 to fix but in my case, I wonder if it’s a case of low battery voltage causing spurious error warnings. Anyone had anything similar?

I may invest in a new battery in the morning (Varta E44).

Regards,

Chris

Post #130616 4th Feb 2012 8:21 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

If you have a cheap dc volt meter you could check the voltage at the battery with out starting he engine. make a note of the voltage
Now turn on the ignition but dont start the engine. Turn on the head lights and leave for 3 minutes, then repeat voltage test accross battery. If the battery is good there shouldnt be much of a drop in voltage, if there is then the battery is low and needs charging or one or more of the cells have gone down.
Each cell is arround 1.2 volts your battery should hold about 13 .2 volts or there abouts, if its falls below 12v with no load then you should get it checked out, if batery voltage is ok then theres some thing else wrong. Thumbs Up

Post #130620 4th Feb 2012 9:21 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Superspark - that is one of the most practical usggestions I have seen on this forum. Very simple and it sounds like you know what you are talking about. Voltage is one thing, but the trick is obviously re-cehcking it after 3 minutes with headlights on (ie: big load) I guess. Nice tip to lock away in the grey matter - thanks.

Post #130654 5th Feb 2012 12:03 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

This exact methood I have used many times on various friends cars and the like and it has proved to be true every time. People I know have gone and had new starter motors fitted but still had the same problem " the battery" If only they had checked the simple things first they could of saved them selves a lot of money.
Its true that a starter turning very slowly could be the battery but more often than not its a bad earth "lose connection" There are various battery testing tools you could buy but some are expensive. Some batteries have built in led status which is very usefull but many do not which will leave you guessing. Theres always some Censored who will take advantage of this and try to rip you off Thumbs Up

Post #130668 5th Feb 2012 2:27 pm
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Update

Changed the battery this morning. Having sat overnight (quite mild last night only -1Deg C) the battery voltage was 11.82Volts. Dropped when putting load on but surprisingly started after some hesitation.

As for the Terrain Response warnings………..Fingers crossed.

Regards,

Chris

Post #130712 5th Feb 2012 8:12 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I'm amazed it even cranked at 11.82 volts.
Yes, it will drop with a load on, but anything anywhere near 12v is no good. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #130758 5th Feb 2012 11:56 pm
razmabaz

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

superspark wrote:

~clip ~
Each cell is arround 1.2 volts your battery should hold about 13 .2 volts or there abouts, if its falls below 12v with no load then you should get it checked out, if batery voltage is ok then theres some thing else wrong. Thumbs Up

Sorry to be a pedant but there a 6 cells to a 12V battery (each cell being around 2.10–2.13V per cell under quiescent conditions) ... After full charge, terminal voltage drops quickly to 13.2 V and then slowly to 12.6 V

Having just typed all this I think you just made a typo... apologies. I'll keep this here though for good reference. Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto MY08 - Santorini black

Post #130763 6th Feb 2012 2:01 am
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 14th Feb 2013 8:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #130794 6th Feb 2012 11:17 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

dunroof wrote:
LRs hate anything but a fully charged and functional battery, period.

Fair point! I am thinking about changing my battery before it dies completely and not wishing to hi-jack this thread does anyone have any recommendations? I am wavering between a Bosch Silver HSB 110 and a Varta F21 AGM. Both are 800cca and 80 ah. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #130798 6th Feb 2012 11:24 am
alex_pescaru

JST wrote:
I am wavering between a Bosch Silver HSB 110 and a Varta F21 AGM. Both are 800cca and 80 ah.

Don't mix the batteries!
If your car had an AGM, buy an AGM. If it had a standard one, buy a standard one.
Few know that the battery charging on FL2 is driven by the engine ECU...
The type of battery is set into the car's configuration file (CCF) and the charging strategy programmed into the engine ECU is acting/changed accordingly.
If you have an AGM and replace it with a standard flooded type, you could end-up with a discharged battery over time.
If you have a standard flooded type and replace it with an AGM, you can end-up with a damaged battery/charging system because of overcharging.

Post #130852 6th Feb 2012 3:35 pm
JST

Interesting! Thanks Alex...I just hadn't thought of that...damned clever this electronics thing! It still has the original battery on it and although it has only done 30k it is nearly 5 years old and spluttered a bit (as well as the HDC warning) in -7 the other day. The Bosch HSB 110 it is then! John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One

Post #130854 6th Feb 2012 3:40 pm
alex_pescaru

Don't assume... Have a look on the battery.
If it says somewhere on the label something like "AGM" or "VRLA", then it's an AGM one.
Only if not buy a standard one.

Post #130856 6th Feb 2012 3:50 pm
JST

I have checked, it is a standard Exide battery. Thumbs Up John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One

Post #130858 6th Feb 2012 4:11 pm
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I bought my FL2 a year ago with a new battery just fitted. Is there a way I can find out whether it should have an AGM or standard battery? Confused Alex ? - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #130862 6th Feb 2012 4:25 pm
alex_pescaru

Few FL2s have AGM batteries fitted... Most of them were with standard flooded type.
Have the dealer to read your default (as built) Car Configuration File.
But I doubt that they will be able to tell. The CCF's location/address that specify the battery's type is not among the one displayed on a normal diagnostic session, nor available for changing and/or personalisation.

Post #130869 6th Feb 2012 4:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>