« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > MANIAC!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
MANIAC!

We live on a main road (very straight) and it's a 30mph limit. Just walking back home with the dogs approx 15 mins ago and suddenly from the top end of the road a Nissan Skyline GTR (N reg, couldn't get the rest) overtook 3 cars and was easily doing over 100mph as he went off down the hill. Evil or Very Mad

There are lots of side streets where someone could have easily pulled out not realising he was coming at that speed and a few seconds later we would have been crossing the road. On top of all that, his passenger decided to wave!

We did call the police for what good it will do (helicopter & some tweaked Evo's would be needed to catch him) but if you tried to lecture this guy on road safety, I suspect he would smirk and laugh and say he is the best driver on the planet and he will never crash.

Although I would prefer him to be arrested and prosecuted, all in all I would have no sympathy at all if he had crashed (his car only) and if he had died a painful death. Such stupid mother fu Censored ers are no use to mankind and soceity in general.

Rant over. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #128602 22nd Jan 2012 5:43 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Totally agree...they think they are immortal...t*ssers!

We have had a few wipe themselves out of recent times down our way, usually hitting walls or trees having lost control. it is just luck that they have not taken out anyone else at the same time but if they do it is mostly young girls who are passengers who one assumes are supposed to be impressed with crass driving. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #128604 22nd Jan 2012 5:51 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I tend to agree with your views and your lack of sympathy, although perhaps death is a bit harsh, wishing that they would be rogered violently by a rabid bear could be a little more humanitarian.

When did we become a society where you can behave like that and there is no action, but god forbid you drive through a camera at 36 in a 30 zone at 3.00am on a sunday because we have the technology to punish you the working registered tax payer! Lots more traffic Plod please, in bigger and faster cars, and out there 24/7 catching people like that . Untill there is a visable deterrent this sort of thing will just go on. I once saw a tv show where a number of the knobs that you describe were driving around a race track with Jason Plato despite him telling them they were Sh 1T they sat there telling a touring car champion that he didn't have clue !! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #128612 22nd Jan 2012 6:07 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

A 18 yr old was killed on a local road on New Years day, the 17 yr old driver is still in a critical condition. He was driving an Evo and hit a tree.

Why can an inexperienced 17yr old be allowed to drive such a high performance car ?

Post #128614 22nd Jan 2012 6:10 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

There are unfortunately no limits on what new drivers can have - insurance costs excluded of course. Shame that car drivers are so numerous that they have more political clout than motorcyclists or maybe the government would institute the training regime that bikers "enjoy". Compulsory basic training from professional instructors, strict capacity limits based on age and/or passing the test. Would make far more sense than the laissez faire attitude currently in play but no government would have the nerve to try it. Evil or Very Mad Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #128624 22nd Jan 2012 6:19 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

A guy not too far from me who is very wealthy decided to buy his son a car when he passed his driving test. So having passed his test in (probably) a Ford Fiesta, his dad got him a Ferrari F430. My dad saw him in the Tesco car park late in the evening doing donuts with his mates who were in saxos. The police arrived and dealt with them fortunately.

I suspect the guys dad would have had to pay nearly if not as much as the price of the Ferrari to get his 17 year old son insured! LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #128629 22nd Jan 2012 6:30 pm
MartynB

Some interesting points here, and in our family we had a raging debate over a 17 year old getting a 125cc motorbike, which would obviously in most peoples minds end up with him being a cabbage minimum or an organ doner worst case.

Since he got the bike he had all the training others listed above, and 12 months ago passed his test , and because of his age and despite 7000 miles on the road was limited to 33 BHP max for a further two years, He got a nice new-ish 2 year old Suzuki 650cc V twin, Suzuki produce a swop over ECU to keep the bike legal knocking 45 bhp off !,the insurers demand to see a power restriction certificate before they will insure him.In 12 months time he can have the full power ECU fitted,

All of his mates have bought 10 year old astras and clios, zero maintenace other than big speakers and are running on dubious policies insured as secondary drivers to mum and dad, and 4 out of 5 of them have written cars off. I've told his mum he is more likely to die as a passenger with these idiots than he is on the bike !

Younger drivers should be severely power limited, OK it won't stop stolen etc. but it may save some young kid with more balls than brains. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #128644 22nd Jan 2012 7:03 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

My first car was a 200tdi defender, should that of been restricted or power reduced?!? That's a whole lot of power and a turbo!

Post #128650 22nd Jan 2012 7:23 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

The good thing about LR, having read a lot of topics on here recently, wouldn't need the power reduced!

"REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE!!" Whistle 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #128654 22nd Jan 2012 7:39 pm
MartynB

landy19840 wrote:
My first car was a 200tdi defender, should that of been restricted or power reduced?!? That's a whole lot of power and a turbo!

Most restrictions are aimed at giving you a certain horsepower/tonne at the driving wheels, I doubt whether a 200 TDi will have much more than 50 or 60 /tonne after all the transmission losses, I've no idea what is reasonable or not, but still does not change my opinon that a 17 year old should not be allowed to pass his test and climb into his dads company BMW M5 or Range Rover Overfinch which has an any driver policy, Still everyone will have personal view on this and I recognise your right to have yours. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #128671 22nd Jan 2012 8:38 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I agree Martyn. Unfortunately, some youths can do harm in an unmodified normal hatchback. A friend of my cousin passed his test at 17, got into his 1.2 Pug 106, picked some mates up from school and promptly drove too fast to show off with the car ending up on it's roof with the fire service needed to get the passengers out. Idiots. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #128695 22nd Jan 2012 9:43 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

there's not a lot you can do about it, it's the exuberance and inexperience of youth !!

I imagine we have all been guilty of similar actions in our youth, but lucky to survive unscathed ??

unfortunately a lot are not so lucky.

Iain

Post #128728 23rd Jan 2012 10:20 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Every cloud has a silver lining...

Back in 2008 my front garden wall was in need of replacement and a few weeks before Christmas got a quote - £1,500. A week later a stolen car being chased by police lost control, clipped the kerb and rolled over my garden wall and ended up in my neighbours garden. House insurance sent an assessor the next day who basically gave me the option of whatever I wanted so ended up with both the front wall and dividing wall between myself and the other neighbour being replaced at a cost of £3,000. All I had to pay was £100 excess and my house insurance only went up by about £10

Luckily the neighbour who ended up with a car on his front lawn was in the process of having his driveway extended and the pikeys hadnt started so he didnt have any damage to his property other than the embarrassment of a lowered Vauxhall Astra with dancy Censored playing out of the stereo sitting on his lawn!

Post #128768 23rd Jan 2012 4:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Simular thing happened at my, my car was driven into whilst parked and knocked the wall down

insurance company got there people out to it, measured up and sent in the quote, got a call saying they had been approved and a skip turned up to junk old wall, and waste from building it.

I throwed away an old patio set, which nearly filled the skip Laughing , then i got a call from them saying there was a delay on the brick order.... i told them i wasn't happy about a skip been out side for another month, when they had messed up, so they removed it, a bit annoyed that some mongrel had used their skip and they had to pay for this ect, (people nowadays Mr. Green )

they then proceeded to deliver a skip again, and again it was cancelled due to difficulties obtaining the brick, i got rid of a bit of the rubble from the old wall to tidy up the garden, along with some rubbish from the back garden and my neighbours (they approved this) I then found out the reason the bricks were difficult to obtain, the company making them went out of business 3 years ago Shocked , So im not really sure what bricks they had ordered or what they were planning on doing as i cancelled them doing it 2 months after there proposed start date

I got my quote and they paid me up front for the cost, and i did it myself in a day Thumbs Up

and my insurance didn't go up Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #128769 23rd Jan 2012 4:57 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

shame the wall repairs fell down 2 mths later Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #128776 23rd Jan 2012 5:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>