Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear end shunt - do new bumpers come colour coded?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gusmagoo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Rear end shunt - do new bumpers come colour coded?

Stood in traffic, got rear ended by a Citroen Berlingo. He couldn't drive his it was a right mess!
Anyway he's accepted full liability so I can go wherever to get mine sorted... Looks like i need a new bumper and the exhaust and towing eye have been damaged. 2 questions here, do bumpers come colour coded when purchased (presumably ensuring a great colour match) or do they have to be sprayed?
And secondly, if my exhaust back box has been bent downwards will it mean that the whole exhaust should be replaced?
cheers in advance for any advice. 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )
My Aviation website - UKHelicopterPilot.com Cool

Post #128395 21st Jan 2012 3:09 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

I had a new rear bumper on my previous car..... from memory it had to be painted, cannot help on the other points... JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #128397 21st Jan 2012 3:18 pm
taztastic

England 

I would get the car looked at by specialsit just to be sure.
The towing eye is very hefty on a Freelander and capable of more than an occasional emergency tow. If this is damaged then get the alignments checked etc, rear end shunts can hide all sorts of nasty surprises, just be cautious donot mean to alarm.

As for the bumpers, not sure, but someone will know Thumbs Up

Hope you are OK, thats the most important bit Thumbs Up

Post #128398 21st Jan 2012 3:21 pm
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 14th Feb 2013 9:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #128402 21st Jan 2012 3:40 pm
gusmagoo

taztastic wrote:
I would get the car looked at by specialsit just to be sure.
The towing eye is very hefty on a Freelander and capable of more than an occasional emergency tow. If this is damaged then get the alignments checked etc, rear end shunts can hide all sorts of nasty surprises, just be cautious donot mean to alarm.

As for the bumpers, not sure, but someone will know Thumbs Up

Hope you are OK, thats the most important bit Thumbs Up

Thanks for that yea we're ok both got whiplash though and really peed off about all the hasstle, and being off work...
All in hand, yea i'll get it properly checked. I've only had it 6 months its got a 2 year Land rover (used) warranty so i'm also wary that the repairs need to be done properly.
As his insurance company has accepted full liability I can take it anywhere so i'm even considering sending it to a Land rover approved repairers. To be honest though I'd rather give a local firm the business as the LR approved garage is 40 miles away... I'll go local on Monday and get a few quotes... cheers for all replies btw Thumbs Up 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )

Post #128404 21st Jan 2012 3:44 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Hi I live in Birkdale- so close have you tried Willams in Liverpool- great bodyshop or Karl Vella in Southport- both have body jigs
Hope this helps 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #128413 21st Jan 2012 4:26 pm
gusmagoo

GJH0702 wrote:
Hi I live in Birkdale- so close have you tried Willams in Liverpool- great bodyshop or Karl Vella in Southport- both have body jigs
Hope this helps

Cheers i'm going to ring the warranty people and ask them for their recommends. Going to vellas for a quote anyway as it's just down the road but as said I'm now thinking it might have to be an "approved" LR repairers to keep my warranty completely intact. At the end of the day it wasn't my fault and his Insurance company have told me directly to choose somewhere (subject to them "approving" a "quote") and they will foot the bill... My insurance isn't being touched. Cool 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )

Post #128426 21st Jan 2012 6:02 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Just be aware that unless the repair is done via LR approved body shop any corrosion warranty will not apply to the repair.

Given the amount of stuff that has bent on yours I would get a quote first - be aware if you all the other drivers insurance to cover the cost of repair then they may not give you the freedom you think - capping the costs.

If I was you do it all through your own insurer - let them recover costs and pick up the tab. If the other driver has accepted liability and you have this in writing then you should not be detrimentally affected. You will still have to declare the accident to your insurer any way. This is waht you pay your premium for.

If you have whiplash you need to hget this assessed ASAP and where there is personal injury the accident should be reported to the police anyway.

Speaking for recent experience it might seem a b*ll ache but this is the procedure.

Good luck - I've just received a confirmation letter from my insurers to say my claim has been settled from June last year....

ATB

DR There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #128430 21st Jan 2012 6:29 pm
freefrom

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Buckingham Blue

Sorry to hear about this shunt , having had one a few years back I would endorse the comments that you go through your insurance and make sure that any hire car costs are covered in full before you get a hire car. I was being chased for a year by the at fault drivers insurers as they "didnt approve" the hire car they threatened to take me to court but then settled in full a day before the case Evil or Very Mad .Dont be fooled by the hire companies who will say you wont have to pay anything cos it may not be true!. Its a complete pain getting it sorted, but deffinatly better to follow the rules. Thumbs Up

Id also say get it properly checked my Audi looked OK , but was found to have a bent chasis!

Nick 2012 MY TD4 SX Manual in very rare Buckingham Blue!

Post #128449 21st Jan 2012 7:20 pm
Ghyllie

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Agree with previous, go through insurance, they will deal with everything you should'nt be getting quotes your doing thier job for them Exclamation my last car had a rut with a red deer the insurance collected my car and took to a approoved body shop but I had to collect it though as i had to pay the excess as the insurance company refused to persue a claim against the dead deers estate Rolling with laughter

ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #128499 22nd Jan 2012 8:51 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

BE AWEAR, going through your own insurance even if its not your fault will still count as a claim and may ending up costing you a lot more money when you come to reasure again with some one else.
My partner had thas very problem. A car backed into my partners car. All was cought on cctv. The other company excepted full responabilty.
We spoke to our company and went through them to get the repair done quicker, got the car repaired and our excess back etc etc but then when we reinsured at renewal the the policy was a lot more, even when we used comparison sites.
I phoned them to ask why and there reply was that we had made a claim and that it didnt matter that it was not our fault or that our old insurance company were reinburst in full.
It was a total sham from the start. Just thought I would share this as not a lot of people know what the insurance companys have started doing. Robbing Censored Thumbs Up

Post #128500 22nd Jan 2012 9:11 am
Ghyllie

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

superspark wrote:
BE AWEAR, going through your own insurance even if its not your fault will still count as a claim and may ending up costing you a lot more money when you come to reasure again with some one else.
My partner had thas very problem. A car backed into my partners car. All was cought on cctv. The other company excepted full responabilty.
We spoke to our company and went through them to get the repair done quicker, got the car repaired and our excess back etc etc but then when we reinsured at renewal the the policy was a lot more, even when we used comparison sites.
I phoned them to ask why and there reply was that we had made a claim and that it didnt matter that it was not our fault or that our old insurance company were reinburst in full.
It was a total sham from the start. Just thought I would share this as not a lot of people know what the insurance companys have started doing. Robbing Censored Thumbs Up

This is not new its a no claims bonus not a no blame and after my claim my insurance went up by 50p which was less than the inflation rate, if you do not tell them you could jepardise future claims, they could argue that the repairs were never made and that you are fraudulantly trying to claim again this time on your insurance, you have to remember that the reg No of your car and details of the accident are logged there are companys out there selling this info, my car check, icar check et al. dont give the thieving Censored s an excuse.

Ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #128556 22nd Jan 2012 3:07 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

All claims are logged on the central insurance database that insurance companies check before they pay out not when they agree to your policy and take your premium.

As has been said regardless of fault it is still an accident and as such a claim or not on your side the details will still be on there.

Don't give them an option to wriggle out of paying any future claim (I'm told that if you have an accident your fault or not the probability of having another within two years increases anyway). The other persons insurance company will agree to most things to get you to deal direct with them because it keeps their costs down but they will operate on behalf of their client and not you.

Be very aware. Look how much insurance comapnies make profit wise.

DR There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #128693 22nd Jan 2012 9:37 pm
gusmagoo

Thanks for all the replies, I'm not going through my own insurance company but they are aware of the incident. I prefer to choose the repairer and am cotacting LR to find authorised repairers. I will put and make sure I have, everything in writing before proceeding with anything.
I will come back when sorted and update. Wink 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )

Post #128720 23rd Jan 2012 9:33 am
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Definitely use an LR approved repairer - Also think if you phone LR Accident Service they will deal with it all for you. Or go through your dealer?

Post #128843 23rd Jan 2012 11:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1