Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Extra driving lamps and mounting them
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Still trying to find the drawings I made. Confused I may have to measure the brackets in situ and create some new drawings. Thumbs Up

Post #172384 20th Feb 2013 1:13 pm
PumpkinZA

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Thank you for going to the trouble - look forward to further information when you have a chance.

Post #172417 20th Feb 2013 5:50 pm
Dommel

Yeah yeah!

This summer I want to drive around the Wilderness Road or around the Lake District. Extra lights on my car would be nice.

Post #172471 20th Feb 2013 10:45 pm
PumpkinZA

Have received Lightforce 140 RDML Lance (dont think the Lightforce 170 Strikers would fit) Driving Lights which, if the advertising is to be believed, will provide usable light of up to 400m or so. Seems the range is more than adequate for night time driving of speeds of 80-90 km on secondary roads ín SA at night.

Will be attaching lights to the Lightforce Unibar which I hope will work, although there may be a difficulty in fitting them due to the "depth"of the casing and mounting. Still we will try it out and see what happens and how it looks when the job is completed. Planning to do this on April 2nd and will post photos of before and after (if there is an after!) with description of how the job was tackled.

Also fitting 4 external Hella Female Plugs (no wise comments - OK) above each wheel arch to facilitatate use of air compressor and LED Floodlights for camping purposes. The lights are attached to 'Garmin GPS suction cups' which allows lights to be move around the vehicle as needed.

Am planning to install 15mm lift kit front and back, waiting for Polyurethane spacers 15 mm and new 255/55R18 tyres (with 3mm wheel spacers) to ensure there is no "strut rubbing''. Will see how that goes but keen to get that done by end April . Time will tell.

Post #176530 21st Mar 2013 7:20 pm
GWO

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Whilst driving to wards Norwich from Kings Lynn on the A47 yesterday saw a pre-facelift red Freelander coming the other way with two large extra lights fitted. Quite like the smaller lights that Eurolandy has fitted but not sure about the larger lights seen yesterday. Second Freelander 2, first time ever that I have replaced like for like.

Post #177076 24th Mar 2013 5:53 pm
Eurolandy

For info, the lights I fitted were Ring ‘Road Runners’ (6 inch Diameter) which considering that these are budget units, work quite well.
I’ve just got hold of some ‘Wipac’ lights which look slightly better quality. Surprisingly these measure about 6.75 inch in diameter which seems to be an odd size.
I’ve tried to get some soft vinyl covers but the only ones I can find are either 6 or 8 inch and have the supplier’s logos (KC) on them. Anyone know where I can get some plain covers from?

Post #177398 26th Mar 2013 1:36 pm
PumpkinZA

Not sure how to upload photos to this post but have some pictures available showing before and after photos, after attaching the LightForce Unibar and Lightforce 140 Lance RDML Driving Lights. Check the gallery.

Still have to set them and decide whether to use both lights for distance or wide beams. Still have to set the light position.

These lights make a difference and improve the range of the main beam but dont expect a huge improvement.

Will post more pictures to the gallery when I get the opportunity to set them up correctly and will show Dipped beam, Main Beam and Main Beam plus Driving lights and lastly Driving Lights only. Installation was difficult and took most of the day. For the intended purpose they are quite adequate. Thanks Walter

Post #178769 4th Apr 2013 7:49 pm
fisha

That lightbar is a clever idea .

Post #178790 4th Apr 2013 9:37 pm
Eurolandy

All,
I’ve posted some of my ‘preliminary’ sketches of the mounting brackets on my gallery if anyone is interested in having a go.

Post #178882 5th Apr 2013 4:37 pm
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

Cheers, good work there that man! Thumbs Up

Presumably you have found no need for steady bars to stop light vibration?

Post #180360 16th Apr 2013 11:46 am
Eurolandy

I’ve had no need so far for any steady bars but if you are using larger lights (say 8 inch) and following my rough sketch, use a slightly thicker gauge material for the bracket. My current lights are approx. 6. 75 inch (strange size, having trouble finding some vinyl covers to fit) and they seem OK for vibration so far.

Post #180363 16th Apr 2013 12:16 pm
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Has anyone else managed to fit some extra driving lamps, ideally would be looking at a roof bar fitment to avoid taking the bumper off etc etc, probably for the winter months too so as a removable option.

Do any LED lamps stack up in comparison at present? Reason I ask is I'm doing more night driving along country lanes, so it's either pitch black/foggy and wet or there's animals in the road to try and spot.

Found these to assist if I have to stop to brighten up my rear Rolling with laughter : https://www.racshop.co.uk/travel-breakdown....html#tab3

Just ordered two.

Videos are cracking and we now use them at work, albeit they are called 'megaflares'. 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #212261 29th Dec 2013 12:35 am
EuroHopper

Germany 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Fuji White

Hi Eurolandy,
respectful greetings from Germany! I love the way you fitted the auxiliary lights in front of your grille. Was strolling around for quite a while to find a way of fitting my Hella Luminator Compact (high-beam headlights) to my FL2 MY2013. Thought about a Cobra A-Bar but could not find an affordable used one for the MY13 - only pre-facelift one for a good price, but that one does not fit the MY13, especially not as I mounteda Mantec sump guard...
So, your solution with the brackets looks brilliant to me (although I'm not sure what the german Technical Superviory Association might think about these) and I would like to try the same.
From your drawing I'm still not sure how you mounted the brackets to the front of the car... Are there screws to mount the brackets? Do you have a detail picture (apart from those in your gallery) from the way you mounted te brackets? Also, do you have the detailed measures for the brackets? I guess you don't 'make' another pair on request, do you?
Thanks so much for your efforts and have a great day!
Cheers, Chris

Post #213183 7th Jan 2014 10:31 am
Eurolandy

Hi Chris,

The brackets I made bolt onto the support beam behind the bumper.

Please be aware that these brackets will not fit the face lifted models with the revised grill (MY 2011 and beyond).

All the best.

Chris Gone:
2002 FL1 TD4 GS Zambezi Silver
2007 FL2 TD4 GS Izmir Blue

Post #213262 7th Jan 2014 9:59 pm
EuroHopper

Germany 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Fuji White

Hi Chris,
thanks for your reply - really appreciated! Good hint that your drawings are good for the pre-facelift models! So, if there will be some spare time in future I will probably try something similar with some paperboard first, fold and tinker until things fit and then try to build such steel brackets... Sounds like a long way down for me as spare time is rare unfortunately... I still hope that there is any kind of accessory producer around who decides to build such brackets, or any other kind of valuable mount points. I'm also still considering something like the scandinavian way, with a steel-made modified number plate thing... like this here: http://www.ssbilbehor.se/hella-extraljusha...c-347.aspx
Although it is made by the german producer Hella - this item is not at all available in Germany as it is only produced for the scandinavian market.
Cheers, Chris

Post #213315 8th Jan 2014 10:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>