Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Europe > Winter Alpine Passes - Daily Weather Reports
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

Winter Alpine Passes - Daily Weather Reports

As some folks in the UK venture to take their FL2's up and across the Alps in winter I thought that you may wish to check out that mountain pass before you get there. So here's a link to a site that covers the Alps. (hope the link works)

Whilst it is in German it is easy to understand the colour coding re the state of a given pass. As for the fine details - just cut and paste into a web translator and you'll get the basic gist of the state of the road condition.

http://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenservice/alpenpaesse.html

Once the web page has opened just scroll down the screen for a very lengthy listing (by country) of the passes to find the one you are planning to cross.

Enjoy your drive.

Post #127696 17th Jan 2012 9:06 am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Excellent site, bookmarked - thank you Very Happy

Post #127706 17th Jan 2012 11:38 am
athelstan

Martin if you (or anyone else) wishes more detailed information just go to the "bottom-of-page" and you'll see a tab - the word "weiter" in blue. Click on that and it will reveal links to specific national web sites that include road maps and information of their status e.g. weather, accidents, closures or diversions.

The sites are updated daily.

Post #127714 17th Jan 2012 12:49 pm
Richard H

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Thanks!

Post #204027 21st Oct 2013 12:38 pm
Rusty nuts

Switzerland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

You might also want to make sure you've got good winter tyres on your truck before heading upwards and also make sure to chuck in a set of snow chains ( plus the usual great like tow rope, warning signs and so on). I've come across several UK cars stuck in snow with inadequate rubber on them, including a guy in a lorry that skidded and blocked the road, had no money or credit cards on him and was quite put out when called a tow truck for him!. We have to use winter and summer tyres here in Switzerland and a bloody good job they are too! Costs more initially but two sets last twice as long! Have fun in the Alps, they're awesome.

Post #230556 3rd Aug 2014 4:55 am
athelstan

Rusty nuts
As I have made clear on many occasions on this site; you DO NOT "HAVE TO" WEAR WINTER TYRES here in Switzerland.

There is no legal compulsion to use them - however - if you find yourself in an accident situation in winter, or get yourself stuck (loss of traction) on a snow covered road then the consequences of not having winter tyres fitted to your vehicle are:

1: your insurance company will almost certainly reject or reduce their liability on your claim for having an "unroadworthy vehicle".
2: and the police will have no hesitation in increasing the fine (fiscal and period of loss of licence) for your misdemeanour to the maximum permissible.

And, re the other oft touted urban myth here in CH:
There is no set calendar date to put on or take off winter tyres. But the above same consequences are likely to apply if you find yourself in an accident on winter tyres in the height of summer way above the recommended operational running temperatures of winter rubber.

Post #230589 3rd Aug 2014 11:17 am
Rusty nuts

Switzerland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

All true. I use the term 'have to' in the sense that your screwed if you don't have them and run into trouble. In any case, do you doubt that they are well worth fitting for a Swiss winter? I certainly do from 14 years experience here and the Police actively check to see if you have them fitted, I've also been checked at the Zoll. Anyway, as you say, it's not a must. Drive safely.

Post #230596 3rd Aug 2014 12:13 pm
athelstan

Do I doubt they are worth fitting - absolutely not.

Post #230623 3rd Aug 2014 2:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1