Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New boiler required - but which type ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
New boiler required - but which type ?

Evening - After 23 years our boiler although not dead, is nearing the end of it's life. It's what I would call a standard boiler as we have a hot water storage tank. I thought if were going for a new boiler, why heat up water we might not use, so we'll go for a Combi (Instant) boiler instead. Got a quote for two different types of Combi condensing boiler by a local plumber (30kw) 5 year parts and labour. Temp stats on nearly all the rads, flush out blah blah blah for £2200 inc vat.

BUT.... one of my mates whose guidence I respect, is saying that I shouldn't get a combi as I won't get fast flowing hot water and, if someone is having a shower and a tap is turned on elsewhere then the pressure will drop. It could take half an hour to run a bath as you have to put the tap quarter/half turned so that the water is flowing slowly through the boiler in order to get water the temperature of 'Lava' for my wife & daughter.

It's natural for people who have a combi to say they love it etc and the same for a std boiler as they will say that system is the best. House stats: 4 bed, 2 showers, 1 bath, 4 sinks.

It gets a bit more complicated as well, as the two showers are currently gravity fed and you have to run around to get wet -I'm told with a combi at mains pressure (which is very high into the house) this would make the showers much better.

So people, what do I do ? do we have any plumbers in the house that can offer more help?

Thank you.

Post #126530 7th Jan 2012 6:35 pm
EYorkshire

Your mate is correct about Combi's, ours is a typical 3 bedroom with 2 wc's, 1 shower and kitchen sink. if I turn on the hot tap while my wife is showering she shouts Mr. Green as it loses control and flow. Ours is a 28kW and most important to you is the 'Domestic Hot Water Flow', again ours is 10 litres/minute for a 30 degrees C rise. If you can better that figure with the new boiler you will have more of a chance.

I personally think it may not be for you but If you and your family understand and use it as such it does make a brilliant shower with the added pressure, ours is like a jetwash Thumbs Up You just have to change your ways a little and be aware of others who may be showering.

The pressure can also be affected by flushing the loo if the plumber does'nt balance the system correctly.

Last edited by EYorkshire on 7th Jan 2012 6:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #126531 7th Jan 2012 6:46 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Keep the hot tank and airing cupboard.
A new condensor boiler should save you plenty on fuel costs. the exhaust fumes are barely warm so much less heat lost through the flue.
However my brother in law fits boilers and say that they dont last as long as old style boilers so much of your savings are lost in earlier replacement.
Make sure the new boiler has a quality heat exchange this is what fails early.

tip. sell your van use the cash to upgrade your boiler and insulation. smiles ALL round. With the money you save you will be affording wonderful foreign holidays At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #126532 7th Jan 2012 6:53 pm
ad210358

England 

Another vote here for a Condensing Boiler, we had a Combe Boiler years ago, never again.
Regarding the comments made by a highly regarded member regarding the Heat Exchangers being the weak point, I have only last week found out that if you have a Water Softener this lowers the choice of Boilers you can have, some components in today's boilers are not compatible with softened water Confused

Post #126534 7th Jan 2012 6:59 pm
taztastic

England 

We have a condensing combi, excellent hot water and as EY states like a jet wash.
However, if we need a sink of hot water in the kitchen, we run to waste, around two to three gallons of water before it is hot enough to fill the sink. The combi is in the garage and the furthest point from the kitchen, fortunately no meter, so we don't pay, otherwise the boiler would be somewhere else.
Our cold pressure is very high so we see no effect from loo flushing, tun on another hot tap, however, and it goes cold.
There are some combi boilers now that have an instant hot water facility, keeping the hot water in the pipes up too temperature rather than a tank.

Last edited by taztastic on 7th Jan 2012 7:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #126535 7th Jan 2012 7:06 pm
taztastic

England 

ad210358 wrote:
Another vote here for a Condensing Boiler, we had a Combe Boiler years ago, never again.
Regarding the comments made by a highly regarded member regarding the Heat Exchangers being the weak point, I have only last week found out that if you have a Water Softener this lowers the choice of Boilers you can have, some components in today's boilers are not compatible with softened water Confused

Condensing is a technology used in combi boilers?

Post #126536 7th Jan 2012 7:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Look at a solar thermal system aswell

Basically use the sun to heat up the water, so instead of the new boiler heating it up from 2c it's heating it up from 25c so your saving the cost of the boiler heating it up a extra 23c

Post #126537 7th Jan 2012 7:13 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I am sure you can get a storage tank for a comi which makes it 100% better so you can run 2x taps at the same time

Post #126538 7th Jan 2012 7:14 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The exchanger weak point is due to the condensation produced is slightly acid

Worcestershire Bosch are highly recommended ones, though there is cheaper brands that offer an extra 2 years warranty

Post #126539 7th Jan 2012 7:16 pm
EYorkshire

Yes, Combi boilers are now 'condensing' as well to improve efficiency. In fact the efficiency comes from the heating up stage only so a combi can be more efficient than a system or vented boiler.

Last edited by EYorkshire on 7th Jan 2012 7:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #126540 7th Jan 2012 7:18 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

It is now illegal to fit a combi boiler - unless it is a Condensing boiler

The fitter can be sent to prison!!!!! BG engineer and a plumber told me that little fact.... Confused 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #126541 7th Jan 2012 7:18 pm
ad210358

England 

taztastic wrote:
ad210358 wrote:

Condensing is a technology used in combi boilers?

All boilers are of the Condensing type now, but you have to decide if you want the Combi system with hot water on demand or the standard system with a storage tank. Thumbs Up

If you have the standard system with the storage tank at least you have the back up of the immersion heater should the boiler go down Wink

Post #126543 7th Jan 2012 7:22 pm
EYorkshire

We got a kettle if ours go down Whistle

Post #126544 7th Jan 2012 7:25 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

NB: ALL new gas boilers (& oil I guess) are condensing as it is the only way they can achieve the efficiency ratings required under current regs. It is the condense drain off which is acidic. Must drain in to foul water system OR into separate special soakaway. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #126545 7th Jan 2012 7:26 pm
ad210358

England 

Also the fitting of Thermostic Rad Valves is now compulsary when you fit a new boiler, also notifying the local council that a new boiler has been installed so that it can be logged for the goverments emissions targets, which incurs a draconian fine if you fail to do so and some councils impose a charge of up to £350 for the honour. Twisted Evil

Post #126552 7th Jan 2012 7:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>