npinks

United Kingdom 
Dakar Rally

On EuroSport HD on sky chanel 412 now

Some of hose weird looking large Mini's competing Shocked

Post #126176 4th Jan 2012 11:15 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Just read in Motorcycle News one of the bike riders was killed in the first special stage on New Years day, I know they go into it knowing all the risks but it's a high price to pay..only 38 poor Censored . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #126177 4th Jan 2012 11:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Yes I heard that too, never nice for a sports person to die doing what they love

I keep looking at the Boston 'big picture' website as they often have some fantastic photos of the Dakar

Post #126178 4th Jan 2012 11:24 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

MartynB wrote:
Just read in Motorcycle News one of the bike riders was killed in the first special stage on New Years day, I know they go into it knowing all the risks but it's a high price to pay..only 38 poor Censored .

Yes I saw that. vary sad. It appears he came off and then suffered a cardiac arrest rather than dying from trauma injuries. Maybe the heat was a factor.

Glad I am not the only one who spends all day reading MCN! John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #126198 5th Jan 2012 11:12 am
stooby

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Rimini Red
All Day?

This week's rag is so thin! Not a lot of reading.
Mind you I did stare at the pics of the ZZR for my whole lunch hour. Maybe it's my age
but it's looking very appealing....

Stuart

Post #126199 5th Jan 2012 11:22 am
MartynB

Re: All Day?

stooby wrote:
This week's rag is so thin! Not a lot of reading.
Mind you I did stare at the pics of the ZZR for my whole lunch hour. Maybe it's my age
but it's looking very appealing....

Stuart

I know just what you mean about the ZZR, my head says 18 but my body says 56, so gentlemans hyper tourer could be the one Thumbs Up but the advantage is that I am of course mature enough for the 190 bhp AT THE BACK WHEEL in a 220kg machine and I would never ever be tempted to try the straight from the showroom 9.6 second 145mph standing start 1/4 mile* .... never ever be tempted honest Rolling with laughter

* a Bugatti Veyron can not do this !!! and all yours for around 12 grand 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #126204 5th Jan 2012 1:00 pm
stooby

ZZR1400

Yes indeed, I've got to an age where a bit of comfort is welcome.
I was recently cruising on a very wet motorway on my ZX10R and realised how ridiculous the whole
situation was. I was hunched behind the tiny screen and my ankles were almost as high as my ears!

By the way MarynB, how are you finding your Pirelli Scorpion ATRs?
I got a set at the same time as you. So far, I'm not sure if I'm impressed with grip on wet roads.
At least you paid £100 less than I did from the same company (albeit a different branch) and I got a staff discount!!!! Grrr.

Stuart

Post #126214 5th Jan 2012 2:26 pm
MartynB

One thing about Bradford is that the businesses are very very open to haggling , it's a way of life,

the Scorpion ATR are just fine, but we do not do a lot of miles and she doesn't do any on the motorway just local plodding about I bought ATR as the entrance to our house is on a bad unpaved bridleway. When I took the car off for a day over Xmas and it was very wet I ran it with the grass snow ice setting as the guy at LRE had suggested no problems but I do drive it like it is my wifes car not mine Laughing Mind you our last 4x4 was a Defender so anything would seem good to me.

ZX10 ! Thumbs Up same as local lad Tom Sykes , the one I'm watching this year as Haga seems to have diasappeared 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #126224 5th Jan 2012 4:08 pm
stooby

Scorpion ATRs, Tom Sykes

We've had one day of about 2cm of snow so I haven't really had a chance to tell how good they'll be.
It wasn't helped that both my fronts were not balanced (or the weights came off) so the first time I hit 70mph I had a wobble on. they seem ok now. I think I had a couple of slips on wet roads before they had a chance to bed in. We'll see how they go as the winter goes on. They're quiet though.

Yes I'm looking forward to seeing if Tom is going to be at the front this year. If only I could watch it.
I can't get Sky and we're not cabled so I only have BT Vision. So no Eurosport. I haven't seen WBS in a couple of years which is a real shame as it's often more entertaining than MotoGP. Having said that, Jonathan Green's voice does my head in. I really struggle to listen to him. Ahhh remember the days of Keith Hewen and what's his name. They were good. I tried watching the races on Eurosport Player over the web but our 'broadband' is crap and the footage had no commentary at all!!! Rubbish. meh.

BTW, I might be getting old and thinking about a comfier bike but if I had the money, a Panigale would be it. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet but from the photos I've seen it is lovely....

Stuart

Post #126226 5th Jan 2012 4:21 pm
JST

Re: Scorpion ATRs, Tom Sykes

stooby wrote:
BTW, I might be getting old and thinking about a comfier bike but if I had the money, a Panigale would be it. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet but from the photos I've seen it is lovely....

Stuart

Our local Ducati dealer will get one quite soon as it is Riders (as in BSB team last year). They are not in for 2012 but Phil Jessop hinted that in 2013 they may run Panigales. Snag is The Blade may be getting his pension by then! Very Happy John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One

Post #126228 5th Jan 2012 4:31 pm
stooby

JST

Hi JST,

Mmm, do you think you'd be able to get a Panigale into the back of your FL2 if I distract the dealer?

Stuart

Post #126250 5th Jan 2012 5:54 pm
JST

Hi Stuart,

We can try but I think we will be in a queue! Very Happy

I think I will stick with the Rocket (still faster from 0-60!) and will just go and have a drool over the Panigale. They have a Diavel demonstrator but I doubt if a Panigale will be available on this basis. Did you see in MCN that a 916 went for over £30k? John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One

Post #126262 5th Jan 2012 6:23 pm
MartynB

Well gentlemen,

The Local dealer up her has taken 12 orders for the base Panigales at around 16 grand each !! I must say I fancy one last crack at a Ducati before I grow up and i hope to see the wealthy guys trading in the 1198s and In my dreams an 1198 Bayliss Bow down R replica would be great although I would have the Censored taken for riding more like George Formby I suspect! What I want to see is Triumph getting off their arses and building a real world replacement to my departed Daytona955i , big enough to sit on , Torque in bucket loads, and preferably with the R pack they are using 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #126270 5th Jan 2012 6:58 pm
stooby

Bike Fantasy continued...

Hey JST,

Yeah £30K for a 916. Mind you, an iconic bike. Still utterly gorgeous and that particular one was quite special.

MartynB

Bayliss eh? Now there is a hard man. I was very sad when he retired. I remember him at Knockhill in BSB I'm sure it was. He had an off, or very nearly but he managed to lose a footpeg and still win the race.

I've only ever ridden a 748. Even then it was for half an hour. The pain was considerable even for a lanky youngster as I was at the time. Very thin grips which seemed to make my hands cramp and leg positions that only made sense when it was on its side in a corner. Lovely though.

Triumph. If my local dealer wasn't so crap I'd be riding one. You're right too, they really do need a replacement 955. Didn't they almost introduce a ZZR1400 type thing too?

Stuart

Post #126311 5th Jan 2012 10:04 pm
MartynB

Yep Troy Bayliss as hard as a hard thing from a land where men are men and kangaroos run scared Laughing they broke the mould when they made him, ultimate professional, came up through BSB, he crashed in Valencia WSB once lost his finger end and burst a testical Big Cry and then defied doctors orders, and had a cricket box delivered from somewhere and rode 2 races Bow down Bow down if I had 1000th of a percent of his skill I would be a happy bunny ! think you are correct Triumph had a 1300 or 1400 prototype hyper bike but never built it. It's strange that nowadays there is so much choice if you like bikes that you end up sticking with what you have got in case you get it wrong, but I've tried sitting on the current big Kwaker at Padgetts in Batley and it is very comfy much more so than the Hayabusa 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #126315 5th Jan 2012 10:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>