« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > Shiny wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Shiny wheels

People may already do this but....... I found using an old kitchen sponge to clean the nasty black bits of the wheels. Using the ruff side, works a treat. You can tell I am bored at work this morning!

I also now have a super shiny car again! The only downside is I can see the dents from that knobber Who hit my car clearer

Post #125650 1st Jan 2012 1:47 pm
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

I wouldn't used an abrasive sponge too often or your shiny wheels will very quickly go 'satin'.
I use Autoglym wheel cleaner and a carbon brush - or better still I get my local Eastern Europeans to do the whole car for £8! Laughing Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #125690 1st Jan 2012 4:33 pm
Sebba92

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I use old battery acid with 8 parts of water sprayed with bottle after Glass cleaning fluid. 5 mins reaction time and hot water Karcher. Wheels are shining as new ones!

Post #125733 1st Jan 2012 7:58 pm
taztastic

England 

Battery Acid Shocked Zut Alors!! When you hit the brakes in anger keep your fingers crossed the brake hoses aren't corroded, there are some sensitive bits of kit hidden behind the wheels that I doubt take kindly to battery acid.

The wheels are painted, would you use an abrasive scrubby thing on the car body?

There are many, safe, products to use, keep them polished and regular cleaning will keep them shiny and good looking.

Post #125746 1st Jan 2012 11:09 pm
landy19840

A kitchen sponge really isn't that abrasive. It just removes the dirt that the sponge won't remove! I use lots of stuff to clean wheels but nothing seems to move the welded on bits black crap inbetween the spokes! Then always spray with autoglym protection shizzel. Its not a scouring pad I am using, that would do damage

Post #125752 1st Jan 2012 11:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

When you've cleaned them, seal them, that black stuff is burnt on brake dust, by sealing them less sticks and you should be able to use the sponge to clean them

Post #125753 1st Jan 2012 11:29 pm
landy19840

Yes always do that! But nothing seemed to move the black stuff. I have been known to clay bar my wheels to remove it. But that takes alot of clay

Post #125755 1st Jan 2012 11:31 pm
taztastic

England 

I have a tub of wonder wheels, it will remove the black bits, unfortunately it is as aggressive as hell, possibly made by Sebba92.
I used it on the Merc wheels, it took the plating off the air valves which went a copper colour, it works but use it ONLY on the painted surface, I found the ideal tool was a brush for brushing milk onto food, I was banned from producing Lancashire scones, so it was spare Rolling with laughter
Seriously, wonder wheels used carefully, then decent wax polish and decent sealer, regular wash and your worries are gone Thumbs Up

Post #125759 1st Jan 2012 11:38 pm
Shiftin_up

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

I use Bilberrys alloy wheel cleaner as its non-acidic so wont damage the wheels. smells good too!

I can only cower in horror at the thought of battery acid on my wheels, almost as bad as using wonder wheels! Hateful stuff that is, fit for the bin only IMO, of course it cleans your wheels, it practically will strip them bare its so acidic! lol 2007 '57' Freelander 2 XS Sumatra Black TD4 Automatic - Standard (for now!)

Post #125761 2nd Jan 2012 12:01 am
Hicksy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Ag tar remover works for me on sealed wheels 

Click image to enlarge

Freelander gone
Audi sold
Volvo xc60 r design coming

Post #126174 4th Jan 2012 10:50 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

taztastic wrote:
I have a tub of wonder wheels, it will remove the black bits, unfortunately it is as aggressive as hell, possibly made by Sebba92.
I used it on the Merc wheels, it took the plating off the air valves which went a copper colour, it works but use it ONLY on the painted surface, I found the ideal tool was a brush for brushing milk onto food, I was banned from producing Lancashire scones, so it was spare Rolling with laughter
Seriously, wonder wheels used carefully, then decent wax polish and decent sealer, regular wash and your worries are gone Thumbs Up

Big Cry I wouldn't be surprised if you found that the active part of that product is hydrochloric acid, it will only be a couple of percent but then the chrome on your valves would only be a couple of microns. can't tell you how I arrived at that conclusion Whistle 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #126175 4th Jan 2012 11:14 pm
PeteCowell

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I used the wheel cleaner supplied in the supraguard kit just before Christmas and now my wheels look great.

Post #126365 6th Jan 2012 11:52 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

When I had a set of alloy wheels refurb a couple of year agho - I asked the chap for his advice on cleaning them.

He said if you wouldn't put on your cars bodywork - don't put it on your wheels Thumbs Up

At the end of the day it is just basically paint Whistle 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #126368 6th Jan 2012 11:57 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i treated my wifes new car to a wheel clean with Billberrys Acid free wheel cleaner, then Wolfs De-Ironiser, then Tardis tar remover, then washed down with a wax free shampoo and hosed off, dried, IPA wipe down then i sealed the wheels with G-techiq C5 Wheel Armour.

Nano Tech coating that will seal the wheel for about a year, given it a great shine on the gloss black wheels and I only have to jetwash the wheel down, wash with normal shampoo and mitt or wheel woolie and rinse and dry, not noticed any break dust deposits and come back up like new after each wash

I bought the C5 for mine but never have had them clean enough to use it, but will do next time as it is very good stuff

Post #126377 6th Jan 2012 12:53 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

RazMan wrote:
I wouldn't used an abrasive sponge too often or your shiny wheels will very quickly go 'satin'.
I use Autoglym wheel cleaner and a carbon brush - or better still I get my local Eastern Europeans to do the whole car for £8! Laughing

Cheaper in wales ..... £6.50, wash, wheels, dried,and glass polished.(their water as well ..) Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #137023 21st Mar 2012 7:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>