« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > broken suspension coil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
2freel2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
broken suspension coil

So i was leaving Hereford yesteray and there was a very heavy rattling under the bonnet in the region of the front nearside wheel. At this point i am told by HWMBO that boxing day she got in the car and heard a loud bang but she thought it was the handbrake slipping. Fortunately was passing hereford and worcester land rover about 5 mins later so i asked them to check it. Quick test ride and the culprit was found, a section of the nearside front coil has snapped off and was rattling around. Have to thank the guys there for their assistance.

It is back up north now and in the garage, extended warranty should cover the replacement if i have read my policy booklet correctly. Am satisfied that i renewed it last thursday!

I dont remember reading of any other snapped coils on here, anyone heard of many of these?

Post #125227 29th Dec 2011 11:53 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

could be put down to wear and tear ? and maybe not covered ?

Iain

Post #125228 29th Dec 2011 12:06 pm
2freel2

I would be disappointed if they try that ruse. The car is an 07 with 75,000 miles, hardly an overworked vehicle. Doesnt go offroad and has most its miles (70-80%) on the motorways.

This is from the policy document:

"[i]What your Land Rover Approved Extended Warranty covers
Your Land Rover Approved Warranty is for vehicles that are up to five years old and
have covered less than 75,000 miles at the time of purchase.
The Approved Warranty covers defects to all factory fitted components of the vehicle
for mechanical or electrical failure with the exception of the following items.
What your Approved Warranty does not cover
• All service/maintenance operations and adjustments.
• Glass.
• Paintwork and bodywork.
• Wheels and wheel balancing/alignment and adjustment unless part of a valid claim.
• Recharging of air conditioning unit unless part of a valid claim.
• Telephone/TV/DVD/VIDEO.
• Tyres.
• Batteries.
• Exhaust system.
• Water ingress.
• Strikers and hinges.[/i]"

There is the clause:

"[i]The gradual reduction in operating performance (wear and tear) consistent with
the age and mileage of the vehicle.[/i]"

I would argue that the suspension on a land rover can be expected to last under duress and hard driving with regular offroading and a lot more than the mileage i have covered. If i had a VW polo or maybe a ford focus or the like i may accept begrudgingly if something like this happened after hard driving on potholed roads. But these freelanders are designed to take more punishing loads through their suspension than every day driving and a greater tolerance should be designed into them.

I would suspect the fact that the guys in two land rover service centres have told me they havent seen this before on a freelander 2 would support the fact that I have had an errant experience and perhaps a manufacturing fault with my particular spring? Hence wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

Post #125232 29th Dec 2011 3:37 pm
snowy22255

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Fortunately I have not had that problem with my Freelander, however I have had broken springs on cars in the past including a 1 year old 15000 mile Vauxhall Signum, a 3 year old Passat and last week my daughter's 5 year old Fiesta. Each time it has been a nearside front spring apparently because they take the greatest strain from potholes and mounting kerbs and on every occasion I have the offside replaced as well to avoid any possible uneveness in the handling.
In the case of the Vauxhall the work was done under the warranty, but I think in part that was down to the Dealer who carried out a thorough examination of the car and advised the manufacturer that the car showed no signs of harsh driving or abuse and did not even have a scratch, chip or dent on any of the allow wheels.
Hope you have the same success.

Neil

Post #125243 29th Dec 2011 4:43 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

snowy22255 wrote:
Fortunately I have not had that problem with my Freelander, however I have had broken springs on cars in the past including a 1 year old 15000 mile Vauxhall Signum, a 3 year old Passat and last week my daughter's 5 year old Fiesta. Each time it has been a nearside front spring apparently because they take the greatest strain from potholes and mounting kerbs and on every occasion I have the offside replaced as well to avoid any possible uneveness in the handling.
In the case of the Vauxhall the work was done under the warranty, but I think in part that was down to the Dealer who carried out a thorough examination of the car and advised the manufacturer that the car showed no signs of harsh driving or abuse and did not even have a scratch, chip or dent on any of the allow wheels.
Hope you have the same success.

Neil

that's a good point, remember to make sure they renew both springs and not just the broken one.

Iain

Post #125244 29th Dec 2011 4:47 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Had the same happen to me on a Pug 306, coil snapped and ripped into the drivers side front tyre. Lucky for me and Mrs Dave as it happened as we were pulling off the drive. Would have been a different story had we been on the motorway!!!.

Peugeot UK repaired free of charge replacing all suspension components on both sides of the car. Car was 6 years old so no question of warranty there. Lost confidence in it after that and traded it for my first FL2 ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #125252 29th Dec 2011 5:50 pm
2freel2

Quick update. Garage contacted warranty people and they hadn't heard of this happening on a freelander 2 either. Spring replaced under warranty. I dont think they did the other side but that is a good point and i will bring it up with them.

I have had a good look at the spring and it looks like the paint flaked off and corrosion has set in weakening the metal and it has suddenly given way as a result. During normal driving the nearside is bound to take more punishment but it seems in this case it may have been either something flicking up and gouging the paint or a paint defect from manufacturing that has been the root cause.

Post #125328 30th Dec 2011 10:34 am
jfgv40

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Just had broken NSF spring replaced Land Rover extended warranty took care of it no probs Thumbs Up

Post #298940 18th May 2016 6:39 pm
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi 2freel2, can I ask if you know whether it was the top or bottom of coil that failed?

I would like to check mine out at the weekend.

Cheers, JGH99 Freelander 2 GS Stornoway Grey
Jan 2007 Bought 71,000 miles. Currently 149,300 miles.

Post #298943 18th May 2016 7:15 pm
SaabDriver

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Loire Blue

It was a regular problem on Saabs, it seems to have been a combination of rust and a seized top bearing on the strut. Replacement springs had a plastic sleeve on the bottom of the spring (normal failure point was around 1 1/2 coils from the bottom), dealers would replace the bearing or cover it in grease when they changed the spring. While they were still in business Saab would contribute up to 100% of the cost and do both springs even on cars well out of warranty (but you had to ask the dealer to put in a request). Mine, Saab convertible
Hers, MY08 GS auto

Post #298944 18th May 2016 7:36 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Happened to a low mileage evoque
 MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #298948 18th May 2016 8:07 pm
CliveS

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Just had my FL2 in for MOT today and it failed on a broken spring.

It's the front left (nearside) one thats broken only a few inches around from the bottom where it's ground flat to seat properly, just debating now whether to try to get a genuine LR part or get a pair of aftermarket ones?

Does anyone know who manufacturer is?

Post #311765 22nd Nov 2016 5:36 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Does anyone know who manufacturer is?

Ask the Chinese members maybe. Whistle

Springs used to be made in Leeds once over, went down to the factory to get the odd leaf for my Series one years ago. Progress where did that go ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #311766 22nd Nov 2016 6:10 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

For what it's worth my wife's peugeot 207 failed MOT last year with broken rear springs. However that was a 9 year old car with about 43k miles. You somehow expect more from a less than 10k miles RR Evoque. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why you don't see LandRovers in Africa any more.
Pair of springs from eurocarparts for Peugeot was about £50, took me about an hour each side to fit. I would expect front ones to be more difficult and require spring compressors. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #311777 22nd Nov 2016 7:28 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I don't know of anyone who has broken a spring down here on any car! Our roads are crap, city, country & outback! Sydney's road are goat tracks at best.

I know all my local roads & avoid all the potholes. More so the road fire hydrants cover plates which are often 50mm lower due to resurfacing of roads & often in a far less than ideal position in the road. One either cuts a corner or drives wider to avoid them. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #311810 23rd Nov 2016 2:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>