« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Intermittent starting problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dunploddin

Spain 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey
Intermittent starting problem

I have a 2007 LHD Freelander 2 TD4 auto, bought as a 1 yr old ex demonstrator from the main Land Rover dealer here in Malaga. Since I've had it from time to time the starter motor just spins without engaging and makes a dreadful screeching noise, try again a moment later and all is ok. Of course it always refuses to play up when it is returned to the dealer who tells me that they can find nothing wrong. I suspect their investigation of the problem goes no further than simply trying the button a couple of times.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Post #124620 22nd Dec 2011 3:03 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

welcome to the forum, Thumbs Up

it has been covered a bit, but can't recall your exact problem been mentioned.

I know the search page can through up a fair few stray results, Try searching

+Intermittent +starting +problem

This will filter a lot out Very Happy

Post #124621 22nd Dec 2011 3:09 pm
Dunploddin

Thanks for that. I've found a couple of posts relating the same problem with the suggestion that there might be a missing or damaged tooth on the flywheel. However as a second or third press on the starter button without any movement of the vehicle (and thus the flywheel) always starts her up without any further problem it seems unlikely as presumably the relative positions of the flywheel and starter would be unchanged. Would it be straightforward to remove the starter motor myself and lubricate the pinion shaft?

I should add that the dealers have assured me that if the problem (which is merely annoying at the moment) develops into something more serious / expensive then appropriate goodwill would be forthcoming....

Post #124626 22nd Dec 2011 3:41 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

starter solenoid At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #124661 22nd Dec 2011 5:58 pm
Dunploddin

Confused Thanks, but wouldn't a faulty solenoid just make a fairly quiet 'click' or 'clunk' without actually spinning the starter motor? It sounds as if everything that should happen when you press the starter is happening apart from the starter pinion engaging with the flywheel.

Post #124670 22nd Dec 2011 6:14 pm
chicken george

pinion not sliding on its shaft, you could lubricate the shaft, this may only work for a while

After a few failed starts , giving a wirring sound does the pinion click into place allowing a start the next time? At work
At home

Post #124672 22nd Dec 2011 6:37 pm
Dunploddin

Thanks Chicken George, I reckon we have come to the same conclusion - pinion not sliding freely on the motor shaft. As I said in my first post this only happens infrequently but when it does it is usually when there is an audience or in a multi storey car park where the awful noise is greatly magnified. I think I'll give the lubrication option a try.

It is years since I last interfered with automobile engines (bikes are a different matter!) I have a full range of tools and reasonable mechanical competence and practical skills but are there any problems with access or anything else I should be aware of before I put my overalls on? Or should I leave it to the experts?

Thanks again.

Post #124684 22nd Dec 2011 7:33 pm
chicken george

I have a tractor with same problem, lubing the shaft helps for a while. for tractor new motor £500 service exchange £275.

just an annoyance at present as it always starts after a few clicking whirring attempts. but in summer it had a diesel problem aswell, so had to be cranked a few times to make it go, that was very difficult with a dodgy starter At work
At home

Post #124691 22nd Dec 2011 8:27 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

If you end up lubing the shaft, you need to use a graphite or possibly silicon lubricant, not oil - it will pick up fragments of ring gear and other "stuff" floating around in the bellhousing and make matters worse
It still might be the solenoid as some starters spin the motor while moving the pinion and only give full juice when the pinion travel is such that is must have engaged; hence your free spin maybe an indication of lack of travel of the engaging solenoid. Just a thought... Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #125253 29th Dec 2011 5:55 pm
Dunploddin

Thanks Chris B...I must admit that I hadn't thought of your second point re the solenoid operation. It used to be so much easier when you could just tap the starter motor with a tyre lever. What with the problem only manifesting itself occassionally and the intervention of the Festive Season I haven't investigated further to see if I can remove the starter motor from below far enough to lube the shaft or whether I have to go the whole hog and approach the job from above with all the associated dismantling and reassembly. I'm almost minded just to leave it alone until it eventually fails and then throw the problem back at the dealers!

In the meantime, thanks to all who have offered advice and a Happy New Year to all.

Post #125257 29th Dec 2011 6:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1